• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Rate Vermont Mountains

pepperdawg

No one has mentioned Bolton Valley. It does not have the trail count of the big resorts, but it's well worth a day if you're staying in the Central Vermont area.

I was actually gonna put it as "honorable mention" on my list.....cool little joint that gets a lot of "secret" snow...shhhhhh..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
A lot tougher ranking than NH, that is for damn sure.

Mad River Glen - The Terrain, The Single, The Co-op, The Trees, Special Place
Jay Peak - Most Powder and really open woods, cheaper than Stowe & Smuggs
Stowe - Expense kills it otherwise probably number two and I would ski it more often
***Smuggs*** - Never skied here but it can't be any worse than Stowe so it should go here
Sugarbush - I like Stowe better. I suspect I would like Smuggs terrain and atmosphere better too
Burke - Great mountain, especially weekend powder days when everyone else is at the biggies
Magic - Better terrain than Burke but inconsistent. Woods are much thicker than Burke, not as many lines
Pico
Killington
Bromley
Bolton

Never skied Okemo, Ascutney, Snow, or Stratton. Not much desire to ski those places either. Smuggs is really my only "must hit" in VT that I have not skied yet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stowe - There's just something about the chin/ high alpine and BC options in the notch - only place for it
Jay - obvious snow reasons and terrain
MRG- would take the number 2 spot if conditions were more consistent
Sugarbush - not my favorite, but I do think it has the top overall trail network hands down
Smuggs - love hate situation. hate long slow lifts, but love that the conditions aren't chewed up quick
Magic - unfortunate this place isn't further to the north with better natural, great hill
Pico - great smaller hill, only downfall, right next to Killington
Okemo - no real challenge, but I've definitely had great bump and cruising days there
Killington - I've had good days, but really don't care for the trail layout / feel of the place
Bolton - great snow, but the terrain is awfully flat
Snow - been a long time ago, but nothing special that I remember
Stratton - basically the same mountain as Okemo, though not as interesting
Ascutney - this is unfortunate. It has the physical mountain that with the proper investment could rank right below Smuggs, TREMENDOUS potential, but unfortunately nothing will ever come of that potential and what is there now isn't anything great.

RISkier

Only skied Stowe, Stratton, and Okemo in VT. Really like Stowe, found both Stratton and Okemo very dissapointing. Would really like to try Sugarbush.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Destination Resorts:

Sugarbush
Smugglers Notch
Okemo
Mt. Snow
Killington/Pico
Stratton

Big to mid sized:

Mad River Glen
Ascutney
Bromley
Bolton
Magic

Notably missing - Stowe (been on it, just not on skis), Jay (haven't skied it yet)

Hawkshot99

Sugar Bush-Spent a weekend there as a senior in HS. Awsome. Fresh snow, nice groomers, steeps. And I loved the lift between Mt. Lincoln, And Mt. Ellen
Killington-They have such a large mountain you can find anything there. And amazingly short lift lines for the number of people there.
Mt. Snow- I have usully had great days when I was there.
Stratton- Alot of similar trails, but always seem to enjoy myself.
Haystack- Dont really remember, but dont remeber anything bad.
Bromley- Same as Haystack.
Okemo- Absolute wost layout ever! Horrible lines to get up the mountain then nothing special
Smuggs- Was there MLK weekend, 80 degrees and streams running down the 2 trails...Lets just say it sucked.

Greg

Staff member
I once said that about Jay too :lol:

I've never skied Jay. I'm sure it's great, but great enough so that all other VT ski areas don't need to be in the conversation?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Sugarbush
Jay the snowfall
Magic
Stowe
MRG
Killington mid-week non holiday only
Burke
Bromley
Bolton
Okemo
Mt Snow
Ascutney

never skied:
Suicide Six - the birthplace of Vermont lift served skiing
Middlebury Ski Bowl - NELSAP is always talking it up so it must be a great place to ski
Cochrans - a little hill that has produced more Olympic medals than any other place in Vermont

tree_skier

Places i've been

MRG
Stowe
Da bush
k-mart
Snow
Jay
Smugglers
magic
Bolton
stratton
Burke
Ascutney
Pico
Middlebury
Bromley
Suicide six
Okemo
Cocherans
Memorial Park

Last edited:

skibum1321

Sugarbush
MRG
Smuggs
Stowe
Jay
(huge gap here)
Burke (it's been a while since I've been here)
Kmart
Bolton
Mt Snow
Okemo
Stratton

skibum1321

Smuggs- Was there MLK weekend, 80 degrees and streams running down the 2 trails...Lets just say it sucked.
Don't let that taint your perception of the mountain. It is awesome with the right conditions. Having said that, if it's a tough snow year or it's early or late then it's not a mountain to go to.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Jay
Killington
Magic
MRG
Smuggs
Bush
Burke
Bolton
Pico
Stowe resort sucks and is too expensive. The locals are jerks and smoke too much grass on the lift.
No one should ever ski here when Smuggs is just as good.
The chin is the most overrated experience in VT and if you go into the notch the forrest service will arrest you and take your skis.

prisnah

I'm really surprised to not see more people mentioning Jay. People who haven't mentioned it, is it because you haven't been there? Or just because of the distance? As GSS pointed out parts of the mountain do have a bit of a runout, but other than that everything about that mountain is pure gold. I highly suggest anyone who hasn't been yet to take a trip. Best trees, best snow, and IMO best atmosphere.