• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PSA: Central CT Skiers

Greg

Staff member
Saw a few pairs of Dynastar Legend 8800s for $309 in the Waterbury CT Sports Authority which is a ridiculously cheap price. I believe they were the 2006 model and there were a few different lengths. Sorry didn't even think to check as I was in a rush, but I think they were the 172 cm and 178 cm lengths. I almost want to pick up a pair...

tcharron

Saw a few pairs of Dynastar Legend 8800s for $309 in the Waterbury CT Sports Authority which is a ridiculously cheap price. I believe they were the 2006 model and there were a few different lengths. Sorry didn't even think to check as I was in a rush, but I think they were the 172 cm and 178 cm lengths. I almost want to pick up a pair...

Every once and a while you get some darn fine deals on past year equipment at Sports Authority. When it's left over, they seem to just toss them onto a uber discount rack to get them out of the store. :)

tcharron

Noticed EvoGear has used ones w/bindings for 340, but not in longer lengths, 158 & 168.

http://www.evogear.com/outlet/skis/dynastar-legend-8800-bindings-used-2007.aspx

mlctvt

Yep. $309 for new 8800s is stupid cheap. I have a pair of wide brake Rossi 120s lying around.... Hmmmm....

Steep and cheap had the Legend 8000 all sizes this morning for $280.00, I almost wanted to buy a second pair. These are a little different from the 8800 but they're awesome all around skis. I just tried out mine for the first 2 days this past weekend at Mount Snow and they worked well in all conditions. I was worried about how they'd handle on the groomers since my other skis are Volkl 5 Stars that are only 68mm under foot and the Legend 8000s are 79mm. I could easily carve nice GS curves on the groomers with these just as easy as the 5 stars. Plus they are so easy to turn. My wife commented that I was turning much more often than previously. I'm defintely enjoying these and I'll probably use them more often than the 5 Stars now.

Greg

Staff member
Steep and cheap had the Legend 8000 all sizes this morning for $280.00, I almost wanted to buy a second pair. These are a little different from the 8800 but they're awesome all around skis. I just tried out mine for the first 2 days this past weekend at Mount Snow and they worked well in all conditions. I was worried about how they'd handle on the groomers since my other skis are Volkl 5 Stars that are only 68mm under foot and the Legend 8000s are 79mm. I could easily carve nice GS curves on the groomers with these just as easy as the 5 stars. Plus they are so easy to turn. My wife commented that I was turning much more often than previously. I'm defintely enjoying these and I'll probably use them more often than the 5 Stars now.

Yep. I'm on a pair of Legend 8000s as my primary ski as well this season which is why the 8800 caught my eye...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
FWIW, the 8800 (Mythic Rider) and 8000 are too completely different skis even though they are part of the same series. Just because you like one will not mean you will like the other. In other words, the 8800 is not just a fatter 8000. I am actually going to be unloading my pair of Intuitiv Bigs (essentially the older 8800) as soon as I acquire a fat ski more to my liking.

That said, that is a stupid low price for a brand new pair of 8800s. Surprised Sports Authority would carry that type of ski.

Greg

Staff member
Just an update here. I stopped in today to see if they still had any of these Legend 8800s. They are now priced at $290 + 20% off. That's less than $250 with sales tax. I almost pulled the trigger myself, but I really don't need them. They had two pairs of 158 cm and one pair of 168 cm. I tucked the 168s behind some other skis in case I change my mind...

SKIQUATTRO

speaking of EVO GEAR...props to them...i ordered my wifes K2 PHAT Luvs (used w/ bindings $303) a few days went by and no tracking, so i call....OH NO the girl says...your skis didnt ship b/c we dont have them....Ok, I say...hook me up with something else...so her reply is.."how about a pair of BRAND NEW Line Celeberities 165cm with Brand New Rossignol Bindings for $303, free shipping!! SHIP IT!!!! they even expidited the freight for me.....very pleasant company to deal with and some sick deals!!!

awf170

Just an update here. I stopped in today to see if they still had any of these Legend 8800s. They are now priced at $290 + 20% off. That's less than $250 with sales tax. I almost pulled the trigger myself, but I really don't need them. They had two pairs of 158 cm and one pair of 168 cm. I tucked the 168s behind some other skis in case I change my mind...

Want mine for like $80? They're thrashed but probably fixable.

o3jeff

Ok Greg now you got me thinking. I currently have a one ski set up since getting back into skiing last year. They are the K2 5com(119/72/103) which have been good so far. I am probably and upper intermediate skier(5-8 and 170lbs) and have been looking for a wider ski for my vacation to Sugarbush and MRG in a few weeks.

I would probably end up going with the 158's. Any recommendations as to if this would be a good addition to the quiver since the price seem right. I would also need to pick up a pair of bindings which I am not even sure what they are worth now a days. Anyone have any recommendations for these?

bvibert

Staff member
If they had any in adult sizes I might consider picking up a pair... :roll:

;) :lol:

Greg

Staff member
As I understand it, the 8800 is an "expert" level ski. I've never ridden so I can't comment on how forgiving it is. It might be a tad demanding for an intermediate, but again I'm just guessing. Any old wide brake binding will do. I would only buy the board at SA though. Bring it to a real shop to get mounted...

I_Bike_Alone

hey greg, for insulting the company I work for, I hereby anounce my purchace of said 8800's in 168cm lol

no but seriously, we get really good deals and for some stupid reason, sell them well below value. Don't bother with the west hartford or manchester store, we don't have jack s left in there.