• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf/USA

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Before that wonderful snowstorm rolled into New England, I packed up and headed for the mountains of Maine. This time Sugarloaf/USA was the destination and I stayed at the Sugarloaf Inn, so all I had to do was get out of bed and hit the trails! The storm left about eight inches of powder, and at 8:30 I was riding up the Superquad. From there went down Sluice Headwall to Sluice, yummy powder to ski through! Boarded the Spillway East Double and headed over to the King Pine Quad, I knew that those trails were going to be delicious!

From the first run off of King Pine down Ripsaw, that area of Sugarloaf was going to be my playground for the duration! Ripsaw had powder on top of previously formed moguls, you literally bounced from snow pile to snow pile! Next was Haul Back, and fresh tracks were still to be had right under the chair. Next time went down on skiers right, any snow that had been pushed around you just broke right through, smooth sailing. So smooth that Haul Back was skied for a third time in a row! Widowmaker was next with really good powder to sail through and on! Then it was trail combinations of Widowmaker to Choker, which rocked, and Widowmaker to Flume. Flume has that nice pitch and with the snow being pushed around a little, once again you were breaking through untouched powder, and then bouncing from one pile to the next. Haul Back to Fred’s Pitch Glade, and those glades are in great shape! So good that we hit three more times!

Went on until about 1 PM, my legs had gotten their workout, and didn't want to totally kill myself as I had 3 hours to drive home. It was funny though how there were so many skiers and riders hitting it hard early, and at about noon and soon after the numbers were less and less. Everyone was happy before, during and after!

:flag:

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Yeah, that was a crappy drive home! First I had to drop off my girlfriend in Berlin, NH, and from there Route 2, 115, 3, and I-93 was a combination of windblown snow, bad road conditions, all in all not great driving conditions! Being really tired didn't help!