• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Brown??

jjmcgo

Rank and hot

He wanted to run and his jock had to hold him back from running up on the winner's heels early in the race. He spent the first third of a mile being strongly restrained, went out over another horse's heels, raced really wide and was pissed off and tired when asked for his run on the second turn.
He was still angry when he was being pulled up down the stretch.
The jock on the horse outside him in the early run, Edgar Prado, on Tale of Ekati, was ticked off about being taken off Big Brown earlier this year and tried to pin him in in two races. He rode Riley Tucker in the Preakness and boxed Big Brown early and it didn't work. It worked better in the Belmont.
Now, if I owned those two horses that got no money because my rider was interested in screwing with another horse, he'd never ride another of my horses.

ctenidae

I have to say, I don't agree with the direction horse racing has gone. These horses are so specifically bred to race in only 4 or 5 races in their careers. They're more fragile than they used to be, less versatile, less, well, horsey. I think a horse ought to be able to run in mud, grass, dry conditions, whatever comes at them. Used to be the "best" horse was one who could win a lot, in all kinds of conditions. Now they break legs running, can't handle conditions that are "too soft," and generally don't act like horses.

Horse racing should change, with the horses required to do other work as well. My favorite racetrack is La Mesa in New Mexico. Cowboy horses, cowboy jockies. The key to winning there is to figure out whose birthday it is.

SkiDork

In an article I was reading in Newday yesterday, it quoted Eddie Arcaro as having said back in the 80s that there will never be another triple crown winner. He may be right.

JimG.

Staff member
In an article I was reading in Newday yesterday, it quoted Eddie Arcaro as having said back in the 80s that there will never be another triple crown winner. He may be right.

That's what they said before Secretariat came along in 1973. Now he was a horse.

Won by 31 lengths in the Belmont in record time.

SkiDork

That's what they said before Secretariat came along in 1973. Now he was a horse.

Won by 31 lengths in the Belmont in record time.

Right, but now its 30 years and counting (Secretariat was 25 years) and the way they're breeding thoroughbreds these days, a horse like Secretariat is not possible.

JimG.

Staff member
Right, but now its 30 years and counting (Secretariat was 25 years) and the way they're breeding thoroughbreds these days, a horse like Secretariat is not possible.

You may have a point.

Secretariat was a freak...high spirited, big, strong, fast, and very smart. You could breed horses for 100 years and maybe be blessed with one like him.

Nowadays they use drugs to make alot on stud fees.