Items on your 'to do' list that mess with your head... - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 170
  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    You make a good point, but I still get a bad feeling when I think about anyone riding a department store bike off stuff like that.


    i'm not stupid Tim. my bike has taken a beating from the crap i've built in my backyard. (front rim is bent nicely and back rim a little bit.) trust me, it can handle that road gap with its soft downhill landing.

  2. #92
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I still say that diamondback last longer than anyone predicts.
    Pat's bike will last forever, he never rides it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Put him on a real free ride bike and that's when things get scary, IMHO.
    times two
    Brian

  3. #93
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,394
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I'm seem to have a hard time with pulling up on the bars at the right time, with the right amount of force. Or maybe I'm just going about it all wrong. Usually when I do small drops I nose dive off of them, which is why I don't try bigger ones. One time I tried to wheelie drop a small rock and ended up sending the bike flying in the air while I fell flat on my back.
    Greg pointed out the perfect opportunity to hit a small drop for practice on Sunday, but I wussed out. If we had come across it after my success with finally getting that log ride I probably would have been more interested, but it's just another lost opportunity now. Oh well, next time.
    Brian

  4. #94
    Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Thomaston, CT
    Posts
    31,083
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Greg pointed out the perfect opportunity to hit a small drop for practice on Sunday, but I wussed out. If we had come across it after my success with finally getting that log ride I probably would have been more interested, but it's just another lost opportunity now. Oh well, next time.
    I tried dude. That little drop is a perfect learner. Turns out we had plenty of time for it too.
    I ski double black diamonds.

  5. #95
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I tried dude. That little drop is a perfect learner. Turns out we had plenty of time for it too.
    That you did, what can I say? I'm an idiot.
    Brian

  6. #96
    As posted earlier by another Newbie Biker... basically everything.

    For now here we go:

    - Hinman Trail Drop (By the 2 A-frames)
    I got balsy and blasted over the A-frames one day and slowed down too much and did not pull up for the drop. OTB'd and been a bit gunshy on it since. The Frames I blast over, the drop I stop short on Need to do it.. looking for some smaller practice areas actually.

    - Cemetery to fire road non stop both ways
    Finished this goal yesterday... very excited to get through those rocks uphill at the end

    -Fat Kid Climb
    Found it yesterday, need/want to do it

    - Hinman trail North end by 69 from rockwall to road
    That area is killing me, especially by the little stream. I am off my bike every damn time in those rocks.. and not from giving up !

    - Speed up my overall rides
    I've done well thus far, but stamina and speed I am still working on, probably will be for quite some time as well

    - Find some riding buds!
    Christ this solo riding is probably half my problem regarding goal achievement! Need those tips and to see others completing what I want to.

    Game on!


  7. #97
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    As posted earlier by another Newbie Biker... basically everything.

    For now here we go:

    - Hinman Trail Drop (By the 2 A-frames)
    I got balsy and blasted over the A-frames one day and slowed down too much and did not pull up for the drop. OTB'd and been a bit gunshy on it since. The Frames I blast over, the drop I stop short on Need to do it.. looking for some smaller practice areas actually.
    If it makes you feel better, I've been riding for a couple years and I won't even try that drop yet. You can ride around it to the right, BTW.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    - Cemetery to fire road non stop both ways
    Finished this goal yesterday... very excited to get through those rocks uphill at the end

    -Fat Kid Climb
    Found it yesterday, need/want to do it

    - Hinman trail North end by 69 from rockwall to road
    That area is killing me, especially by the little stream. I am off my bike every damn time in those rocks.. and not from giving up !
    I haven't successfully done any of these either. I've done every section of the Cemetery heading out towards fat kid climb at one point or another, but never all together. I've only ridden it in reverse once or twice, I can't recall how that went, might have done it in one shot except for that short climb about mid-way (it's a fun little DH with a very small wooden ramp going the other way).

    FKC is on my list to do all in one shot, still one section that screws me up.

    That section on Hinman's is another goal of mine. I've gotten most parts at one point, but never together.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    - Speed up my overall rides
    I've done well thus far, but stamina and speed I am still working on, probably will be for quite some time as well

    - Find some riding buds!
    Christ this solo riding is probably half my problem regarding goal achievement! Need those tips and to see others completing what I want to.

    Game on!
    Riding with faster guys, like Reuler, will definitely help make you faster.

    Watch the T&E section here, we post rides all the time. You're welcome to join in whenever you want. Usually mid-week rides at around 6pm or early morning rides on Sunday's (7am, so we still have the rest of the day to do other stuff).
    Brian

  8. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    If it makes you feel better, I've been riding for a couple years and I won't even try that drop yet. You can ride around it to the right, BTW.

    I've only ridden it in reverse once or twice, I can't recall how that went, might have done it in one shot except for that short climb about mid-way (it's a fun little DH with a very small wooden ramp going the other way).
    I conveniently forgot about that hill.. that I have not done yet either


  9. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I'm seem to have a hard time with pulling up on the bars at the right time, with the right amount of force. Or maybe I'm just going about it all wrong. Usually when I do small drops I nose dive off of them, which is why I don't try bigger ones. One time I tried to wheelie drop a small rock and ended up sending the bike flying in the air while I fell flat on my back.
    Curbs. Practice on curbs. Find the right gear so that one hard pedal stroke will propell you forward the right distance (just past one wheel base legth of your bike). Don't wheelie drop sitting down. I'll say that again, don't wheelie drop sitting down. Ussually the right gear is like 2-3, 2-4.

    First pick a spot on flat ground and pratice wheeling just as your front tire gets to it with one good hard, standing up crank, so that as you back tires goes past it you front tire is just hovering a coupla inches off the ground. Too small a gear will not propell you far enough, you will run out of power too soon and you will nose off. Wheeliing too far/hard will cause you to loop out. Next move to a curb with a totally smooth lip. Do that a bunch of times until you are coming off is control, flat and level. Keep looking ahead, like in the bumps. Alot of people stare at the lip, drop off, and then ride into shit their first few times.
    Don't wheelie drop sitting down on your seat. Once you have a low speed wheelie drop off of smooth, flat or even DH lips, things will get more technical with rough or uphill takeoffs. Avoid these until you are super comfy of straight forward drops. Hitting drops at speed in more of a "huck" w/o the pedal stroke is easier and can be practiced the same way w/o and danger. You want flat takeoffs and landings. Getting a wheelie drop down is a major break thru. So many places to use it. The same move can be used as you basic lunge over all sorts of obsticals...
    If it ain't Poe, I don't go.

  10. #100
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,394
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Curbs. Practice on curbs. Find the right gear so that one hard pedal stroke will propell you forward the right distance (just past one wheel base legth of your bike). Don't wheelie drop sitting down. I'll say that again, don't wheelie drop sitting down. Ussually the right gear is like 2-3, 2-4.

    First pick a spot on flat ground and pratice wheeling just as your front tire gets to it with one good hard, standing up crank, so that as you back tires goes past it you front tire is just hovering a coupla inches off the ground. Too small a gear will not propell you far enough, you will run out of power too soon and you will nose off. Wheeliing too far/hard will cause you to loop out. Next move to a curb with a totally smooth lip. Do that a bunch of times until you are coming off is control, flat and level. Keep looking ahead, like in the bumps. Alot of people stare at the lip, drop off, and then ride into shit their first few times.
    Don't wheelie drop sitting down on your seat. Once you have a low speed wheelie drop off of smooth, flat or even DH lips, things will get more technical with rough or uphill takeoffs. Avoid these until you are super comfy of straight forward drops. Hitting drops at speed in more of a "huck" w/o the pedal stroke is easier and can be practiced the same way w/o and danger. You want flat takeoffs and landings. Getting a wheelie drop down is a major break thru. So many places to use it. The same move can be used as you basic lunge over all sorts of obsticals...
    Thanks for the tips, I'm definitely going to work on that!

    Brian

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:36 PM.