• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

watkin

Our Friday snow report will indicate what will be opened and groomed.

Hi Win,

What lifts are going to be open this weekend on Lincoln side? I checked the snow report from today and it lists SuperBravo and Heaven's gate open at 9, and then says all others open at 10. Will Castle Rock be running? And what about Gate House? Some riders in my party are hoping to hit some park!

Thanks!

tumbler

Hi Win,

What lifts are going to be open this weekend on Lincoln side? I checked the snow report from today and it lists SuperBravo and Heaven's gate open at 9, and then says all others open at 10. Will Castle Rock be running? And what about Gate House? Some riders in my party are hoping to hit some park!

Thanks!

For the weekends of April 28-29 and May 5-6, Super Bravo loads 9 AM - 5 PM, Heaven's Gate turns 9 AM - 4 PM and Valley House spins 10 AM - 4 PM.

watkin

Cool thanks... looks like they updated the snow report. No park, but at least we know now.

cdskier

Cool thanks... looks like they updated the snow report. No park, but at least we know now.

They've had a park setup on Racer's Edge for the past couple weeks. The park section of the snow report lists it as open with 14 features.

mtsnow123

The park was great last weekend. Decent size step down jump, a few technical rails, a sweet mini-pipe with jibs on the lips and some fun hips. Good work Sugarbush parks!

ducky

Moose - be careful on 100 south through Granville/Hancock. Many are driving via Bethel with the Roxbury Gap closed. My brother-in-law hit a large moose Friday night (8:15) doing 50mph just south of Granville on the town line with Hancock; his car was totaled but he and his wife ok. The moose crushed the windshield and roof and rolled over the car and off the back. I drove down from Waitsfield to pick them up and met the game warden who had seen another in the pond in the Granville Gulf on his way down. Somehow the moose was able to walk off and the warden went after it to see if it needed to be euthanized.

machski

I've seen Moose plenty of times. Driving, I have seen Moose twice on Route 5 between Fryeburg and Bethel, ME and twice on Route 3 between 93 and 302 in NH. A bunch of times on other roads, but seems like the multiple sightings I had on these two stretches, they were either in or jumped into the road as I was driving by.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

The only Moose I've seen has been on Rt 73 heading up towards the Brandon Gap 2 or 3 years ago. There was also one apparently right out behind Mutha Stuffers (the old location) a few years ago that I missed seeing by not more than a minute or two.

The Sneak

I have been up close and personal with a moose twice in my life:

- hiking the Hunt trail on Katahdin, August 2003
- skiing Sugarbush December 27 2012. Patroller yelled “Look out! It’s a bad moose!”

It was recorded by a bunch of folks n posted to YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

I have been up close and personal with a moose twice in my life:

- hiking the Hunt trail on Katahdin, August 2003
- skiing Sugarbush December 27 2012. Patroller yelled “Look out! It’s a bad moose!”

It was recorded by a bunch of folks n posted to YouTube.

I do recall seeing several videos on youtube of a Moose at Sugarbush.

In other news, from the webcam it looks like they're winching Stein's at the moment. I'm guessing with the weather forecast for the week tonight was the best choice to do this if they wanted to flatten it a bit before the final weekend.

teleo

Was wondering why there was a cop by hancock/granville fri night around 9:15. Glad I missed the moose and that everyone was OK.

Today was the ultimate "you don't know til u go" day. Goretex kept me dry until I got to heavens gate where it was snow!

From this afternoons report "will re-open*May 5th & 6th spinning*Valley House Quad*from*9 AM to 5 PM*for access to spring bumps on Stein's and hopefully some sunshine on Snowball & Spring Fling.*"

Win, there is a lot of snow up top and on the runouts. If it survives the week, will you run heavens gate? Hoping that report is an under promise over deliver thing.

chuckstah

I've seen a bunch of moose over the past 40 years or so, but there are two that stand out. One was at MRG right at the top traversing just past Catamount Bowl. Big nasty bull that didn't want to move, clogging the trail. Took a while for him to move into the woods a bit so we could pass. Then he came back out and chased a bit. The other was 10 or so years ago when a fairly small one wandered through the parking lot in Nashua, NH where I worked at the time. Strange to see one in an urban area right on Daniel Webster Hwy. The rest have been far north where you would expect them to be including one near Granville.

cdskier

Was wondering why there was a cop by hancock/granville fri night around 9:15. Glad I missed the moose and that everyone was OK.

Today was the ultimate "you don't know til u go" day. Goretex kept me dry until I got to heavens gate where it was snow!

From this afternoons report "will re-open*May 5th & 6th spinning*Valley House Quad*from*9 AM to 5 PM*for access to spring bumps on Stein's and hopefully some sunshine on Snowball & Spring Fling.*"

Win, there is a lot of snow up top and on the runouts. If it survives the week, will you run heavens gate? Hoping that report is an under promise over deliver thing.

How early did it change over to snow? I couldn't convince myself to go out in the rain this morning and was probably a good part of the way home before it changed over. Saturday was quite good though. I was a little skeptical first thing Saturday morning, but the consistency of the snow improved as the day went on (as did the visibility up top). I sort of didn't think I would make it out today and pushed myself to ski several extra runs on Saturday even after my legs were starting to feel it.

I was a bit curious about HG for next weekend too and hoping they're just being conservative with their prediction for next weekend at this point. The amount of snow still on DS, OG, and Ripcord was quite impressive. Even Birdland seemed pretty deep still. That said, the weather this week could make a very serious dent in what's left.

teleo

I didn't head out till after 11. Rain wasn't to bad then. Probably a bit after 12 for snow to make it down to base of hg.

cdskier

Yea, I left around 10 as I didn't see much point in hanging around in case it stopped or changed over. Glad people that stuck it out got a little late April powder treat though.

WinS

How early did it change over to snow? I couldn't convince myself to go out in the rain this morning and was probably a good part of the way home before it changed over. Saturday was quite good though. I was a little skeptical first thing Saturday morning, but the consistency of the snow improved as the day went on (as did the visibility up top). I sort of didn't think I would make it out today and pushed myself to ski several extra runs on Saturday even after my legs were starting to feel it.

I was a bit curious about HG for next weekend too and hoping they're just being conservative with their prediction for next weekend at this point. The amount of snow still on DS, OG, and Ripcord was quite impressive. Even Birdland seemed pretty deep still. That said, the weather this week could make a very serious dent in what's left.

Unfortunately, no. Given the forecast Jester and Downspout probably won’t last. But the real reason is we have to start summer maintenance on Bravo. Chairs are coming off to do NDT. CD was correct in his presumption of why Stein’s was being winched. Warm and ra]n,y through Friday but weekend is looking nice at this point. The annual ski convention is this week so will miss Saturday but planning to make it back for final day on Sunday.

KustyTheKlown

I totalled my car on a moose, driving from sugarloaf to jay, in island pond Vermont. it sucked. it was sunday December 23 and getting home was a nightmare. ultimately I flew from Lebanon nh to white plains ny in a 10 seater plane operated by cape air.

WinS

I totalled my car on a moose, driving from sugarloaf to jay, in island pond Vermont. it sucked. it was sunday December 23 and getting home was a nightmare. ultimately I flew from Lebanon nh to white plains ny in a 10 seater plane operated by cape air.
I came close once at dusk on rte 12A between Randolph and Roxbury. They like to hang out in wet ares I the day and migrant up in the evening. Unlike deer there eyes do not reflect and are very hard to see and then do nor run across roads like deer. They can stand right in the middle of the road for awhile. Take the moose crossing signs seriously, especially at dusk.