• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

1dog

this thread is 438 pages and 8700 entries long. believe it or not skimrv.com is back up again but I was debating adding in a VT subforum specifically instead of just the skiing forum. thoughts? or we could use tags instead.
All in one place Nick seems 'betterer' - thx for the work either way

1dog

No Quad Passes this year? I guess they believe it wouldn't sell with all the uncertainty, and/or the new company didn't want to offer it. I would generally buy 3 or four paks for customers, spouse, etc.
Estimate I have been stuck with as many as 3 or 4 in April a few years too.

cdskier

No Quad Passes this year? I guess they believe it wouldn't sell with all the uncertainty, and/or the new company didn't want to offer it. I would generally buy 3 or four paks for customers, spouse, etc.
Estimate I have been stuck with as many as 3 or 4 in April a few years too.
No...the reason was they're trying to limit capacity without putting restrictions on pass-holders. So they're limiting (or eliminating) all day ticket products that aren't for a specific date. Without having a big unknown of what quad pack holders are going to show up what day, they have more control as now there are pretty much only 2 main variables...pass-holders (which you can estimate from historical data to some degree) and day tickets (which you can easily limit and control by selling them all online in advance).

WWF-VT

Looks like it's either move to VT or skip skiing this season:

Visiting Sugarbush Resort
ALL guests coming to ski at Sugarbush must sign a one-time attestation with the state of Vermont. *More information on how to do this is forthcoming*.

Anyone entering the state of Vermont from another state must quarantine, either prior to arrival at their own home or once they reach Vermont, before coming to Sugarbush. https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel.

Residents of other states must adhere to the quarantine guidelines:

Travelers arriving to Vermont in a personal vehicle must complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test in their home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions.

Travelers arriving to Vermont who have not completed a pre-arrival quarantine must complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test in a Vermont lodging establishment or with friends and family (travelers must stay in their quarantine location for the duration of quarantine other than to travel to and from a test site).

tumbler

I think a lot of people will be moving up. The real estate market is out of control, stuff doesn't even last 2 days, low priced, high priced, doesn't matter. If you were ever thinking about selling this is the time!

slatham

No...the reason was they're trying to limit capacity without putting restrictions on pass-holders. So they're limiting (or eliminating) all day ticket products that aren't for a specific date. Without having a big unknown of what quad pack holders are going to show up what day, they have more control as now there are pretty much only 2 main variables...pass-holders (which you can estimate from historical data to some degree) and day tickets (which you can easily limit and control by selling them all online in advance).
Agreed, but with added motivation to get top dollar for any day tickets sold. This is the season of no discounts.

CastlerockMRV

I think a lot of people will be moving up. The real estate market is out of control, stuff doesn't even last 2 days, low priced, high priced, doesn't matter. If you were ever thinking about selling this is the time!

Yep. We pulled the trigger on a seasonal rental and have been living here since September. The market was moving so quickly we weren't even able to come visit the place first..after we struck out twice we ended up renting our current place site unseen.

CastlerockMRV

Gov. Scott's latest Executive Order doesn't do many favors for skiers. 2 things that stick out:

Multiple Household Social Gatherings Suspended. Attendance at all public and private social, recreational and entertainment gatherings, indoor and outdoor, including large social gatherings incidental to ceremonies, holiday gatherings, parties and celebrations, shall be limited to participation with only members of a single household. For the sake of clarity, nothing in this Order prohibits the gathering of members living in the same residence. Individuals who live alone may gather with members of their immediate family residing in a different household.
and
Contact Log. All restaurants and other public accommodations which host organized non-essential activities shall maintain an easily accessible, legible log of all employees, customers, members and guests and their contact information, including name, address, phone number and email address for 30 days in the event contact tracing is required by VDH. For the sake of clarity, this requirement applies to all employees and all guests in every party.

So this means no hosting of guests for folks who live in the valley for guests who meet the 2-Week, or more realistic, 1 Week+Test Quarantine procedures. And also that the resort will be forced to collect contact information for every person who rides the lifts on a given day. The former is just a buzzkill but yet another hit for local biz, but unless pass scans can be used to facilitate contract tracing the latter just seems damn near impossible. Woof. Hopefully this is just to get us thru Thanksgiving and get cases back where the were prior to the weather turning.

Must stay f*cking positive!

cdskier

Agreed, but with added motivation to get top dollar for any day tickets sold. This is the season of no discounts.
Definitely. Pretty much the only "discounts" you see will be whatever you get off by purchasing a day ticket online through a resort's website in advance. They keep saying "the further you book in advance, the more you save", although I'm sure no matter what the discounts are still substantially less than last year (or the % off may be the same, but the base pre-discount price will be much higher).

Of course this is assuming we even have a ski season. I'm far less optimistic than I was during the summer.

tumbler

I'm far less optimistic than I was this morning about having a season. This will not be lifted by Thanksgiving, judging by Scott's track record once he puts something in place it stays in place for a long time.

CastlerockMRV

I'm far less optimistic than I was this morning about having a season. This will not be lifted by Thanksgiving, judging by Scott's track record once he puts something in place it stays in place for a long time.
Yup. This latest Executive Order "shall continue in full force and effect until midnight on December 15, 2020". Even if the VT case load takes a nose-dive for the better I don't see how this doesn't get extended thru Jan 15 w/ the Holidays on the horizon. Glad my new touring bindings arrived in the mail today... Might have to blow the tax return on xc skis and a fat bike too. Bleh.

The state needs to address their plans and thresholds for the ski industry.

pinnoke

Monitoring Sugarbush's (windy) weather forecast and State protocols to try to determine if they'll indeed open as scheduled is like watching a Pats football game...you just don't know what's going to happen!!

Hawk

So based on what they are saying, Share houses with people coming up from all different locations are basically screwed.

Castlerockrisk

They have attempted to put some snow down on upper Jester with some isolated efforts a little lower. Same with Elbow at North. We had heavy rain last night. The ground is soft and not frozen even at higher elevations. Today it is above freezing and very windy.

The new Covid guidelines from Scott a very restrictive and I fear that it will reduce snow making efforts. I do not think that Killington has done much better, their opening day was supposed to be last Saturday

Slidebrook87

They have attempted to put some snow down on upper Jester with some isolated efforts a little lower. Same with Elbow at North. We had heavy rain last night. The ground is soft and not frozen even at higher elevations. Today it is above freezing and very windy.

The new Covid guidelines from Scott a very restrictive and I fear that it will reduce snow making efforts. I do not think that Killington has done much better, their opening day was supposed to be last Saturday
I think the lack of snowmaking has really been more about temperatures and weather conditions and not about the guidelines that the gov. put out. After all most areas making snow or trying to make snow right now are just trying to get a few trails open which isn’t a huge risk for mountains if it fails, but a big reward with opening day profits. I’d predict that Mt. Snow can open this weekend since they have optimal temps for snowmaking while Killington and Sugarbush will have to postpone their opening another week. There’s no point in rushing in such an unusual season.

cdskier

I think the lack of snowmaking has really been more about temperatures and weather conditions and not about the guidelines that the gov. put out. After all most areas making snow or trying to make snow right now are just trying to get a few trails open which isn’t a huge risk for mountains if it fails, but a big reward with opening day profits. I’d predict that Mt. Snow can open this weekend since they have optimal temps for snowmaking while Killington and Sugarbush will have to postpone their opening another week. There’s no point in rushing in such an unusual season.
I agree with your first part...but what makes you say that Mt Snow has better temps than Killington? They both have powerful snowmaking systems and K has an elevation advantage which would help them with temps more-so than Mt Snow...

Shredmonkey254

Profits? There are no profits for ski areas this year. They have our money, are not selling day tickets, restaurants limited and bars are closed. I believe that 75% of skier traffic at any given mountain is from out of state. If out of staters adhere to the law, why would a ski area open for the extremely limited amount of people that can come out and play. There is really no incentive for anyone to make snow this season.

Slidebrook87

Mt. Snow’s forecast shows a consistant pattern of colder weather compared to Killington and Sugarbush. Even though K has an elevation advantage, they won’t be able to make snow enough snow across the mountain with limited time this week. Not sure about Mt. Snow either but if I had to guess, they have a bit better of a chance of opening. To shredmonkey’s point, he’s right about the profit already being there with pass sales, but you can’t sell passes and then open on only natural snow on a much later date than normal. They don’t have to rush, but they should give an attempt to open.

djd66

There definitely will be no profits this year and certainly not on opening day.

cdskier

Mt. Snow’s forecast shows a consistant pattern of colder weather compared to Killington and Sugarbush. Even though K has an elevation advantage, they won’t be able to make snow enough snow across the mountain with limited time this week. Not sure about Mt. Snow either but if I had to guess, they have a bit better of a chance of opening. To shredmonkey’s point, he’s right about the profit already being there with pass sales, but you can’t sell passes and then open on only natural snow on a much later date than normal. They don’t have to rush, but they should give an attempt to open.
Still not seeing whatever you're seeing. I just looked at NWS and see temps within a degree or two of each other at Mt Snow and K through Friday night. In some cases K is colder and in some cases Mt Snow is. Overall it averages out pretty close. And I still think the elevation advantage helps K.

Another factor...does Mt Snow push it in marginal temps? K will (especially using their old air hog guns). Does Mt Snow use those style guns or are they only using all newer low-E guns? Is Mt Snow blowing snow right now? I don't know if there's a webcam view anywhere. The one on their website doesn't seem to work.

Honestly I don't really care who opens when right now. I'm in no rush to get out there as I want better clarity on what's going to happen this year. Unless I move up to VT for the winter, I don't see how the current rules would allow me to make it up there much.