• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
FWIW Alterra's "unlimited" Utah resort, Solitude, had its first Saturday of the season. This morning they had maybe 3" of new snow--6 trails and three lifts. The traffic was backed up for miles and caused a massive problem. I wish I got a picture--for those familiar with the area, the traffic was from the mouth of BCC all the way back and onto 215. Two lines of it. Unreal. Of course Alterra will tell you it is not IKON.

LMAO " Solitude"

flakeydog

Don’t believe the hype, skiing was good both days. Sat actually saw hosts telling folks getting off SBravo to heed the lines on HG. Skied SB for a few runs then went down to HG and all was good. Line manageable and skiing was good. You can tell the lifties don’t love the mask routine but I hope they come around. It sucks for all of us but the dude 1 ft away from guests bumping chairs should prob just get over it an wear the darned thing. Anyway just as I have been reading here, things clear out later in the day and All was well. Ditto for Sunday. Great skiing, rain cleared out and what a good day.

Looking at all of the bad in the world right now, it was so nice to be ripping turns at Sugarbush these last 2 days. It is so nice to leave the problems of the world behind for a brief period as I spent some quality time on the mountain. Despite the lack of snow, I still feel blessed. Let’s keep this going!!

jimmywilson69

Looking at all of the bad in the world right now, it was so nice to be ripping turns at Sugarbush these last 2 days. It is so nice to leave the problems of the world behind for a brief period as I spent some quality time on the mountain. Despite the lack of snow, I still feel blessed. Let’s keep this going!!

This should be the post of the year.

I too got out skiing, not in VT, this weekend and felt the same way.

Thank you

KustyTheKlown

Don’t believe the hype, skiing was good both days. Sat actually saw hosts telling folks getting off SBravo to heed the lines on HG. Skied SB for a few runs then went down to HG and all was good. Line manageable and skiing was good. You can tell the lifties don’t love the mask routine but I hope they come around. It sucks for all of us but the dude 1 ft away from guests bumping chairs should prob just get over it an wear the darned thing. Anyway just as I have been reading here, things clear out later in the day and All was well. Ditto for Sunday. Great skiing, rain cleared out and what a good day.

one lifty in particular at heavens gate was not wearing a mask repeatedly, and i will tattletale his ass if i see it again. it was every time i saw him, both days. hes also the only one who made me take my backpack off. need to catch a nametag.

Hawk

Next weekend they will have gate house open, downspout and gondolier to the bottom and also Mt. Ellen. If you think that will not have a positive impact you are wrong. I will also agree that posting pictures serves no purpose other than to hurt our chances of staying open. This is especially odd if you live up there and plan to ski a bunch. Be smart. Use your head.

Slidebrook87

one lifty in particular at heavens gate was not wearing a mask repeatedly, and i will tattletale his ass if i see it again. it was every time i saw him, both days. hes also the only one who made me take my backpack off. need to catch a nametag.
I got his name tag but don’t necessarily want to expose him unless he does it again. He’s the lift operations coordinator or something.

Hawk

The backpack thing is something they have to doing for a long time. I ski with a pack sometimes and have been asked to take it off. Not that big a deal for me. As for the mask, that can be corrected and probably already has. They do watch this site. I know that for a fact.

cdskier

i know they are saying they will have gatehouse open, but it is literally grass right now. they've got much work to do.
Yes, but with good temps it would only take a few days. So still within the realm of possibility. And I fully agree with others that opening GH and also having lower DS open will help take pressure off HG. As will ME opening next weekend. That's a lot more terrain (and lifts) to spread people out across.

El Bishop

Anyone else only seeing a limited number of webcams on the updated app? Only "LP Base Area," Golf Course and Snow Stakes. No HG etc. In Winter mode. Perhaps that's intentional. Can't really make out the line length. But that's what we use it for. Older versions of the app still have the cams even though I don't think they're active.

Hawk

I said this exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. I actually emailed guest services and they responded that they were upgrading the system. Some are saying that the IKON app has more cameras but I downloaded it and can see basically the same 4 cameras.

cdskier

Anyone else only seeing a limited number of webcams on the updated app? Only "LP Base Area," Golf Course and Snow Stakes. No HG etc. In Winter mode. Perhaps that's intentional. Can't really make out the line length. But that's what we use it for. Older versions of the app still have the cams even though I don't think they're active.

Yes...newer version shows more limited number. The older version still shows all the cams and I'd say most are active as long as you go to live video mode instead of just the static screenshot (HG, GH, LP, ME base cams are all active on the old version...CR and the ME park cams weren't last I saw).

HowieT2

Yes, but with good temps it would only take a few days. So still within the realm of possibility. And I fully agree with others that opening GH and also having lower DS open will help take pressure off HG. As will ME opening next weekend. That's a lot more terrain (and lifts) to spread people out across.
really good temps through saturday. They should be able to make significant headway on gatehouse.

flakeydog

This on the website today:

Webcams:
We are currently in the process of upgrading our webcams and updating their locations to better benefit our guests. In response to COVID-19, lift lines have been reworked to promote social distancing, and we no longer felt our lift line webcams provided an accurate representation of wait times and mountain capacity. We expect these new webcams to be available soon and give a better depiction of mountain conditions.

Would be nice to have some way of gauging the lines. I often use these to "social distance" myself to somewhere with a shorter line.

cdskier

This on the website today:

Webcams:
We are currently in the process of upgrading our webcams and updating their locations to better benefit our guests. In response to COVID-19, lift lines have been reworked to promote social distancing, and we no longer felt our lift line webcams provided an accurate representation of wait times and mountain capacity. We expect these new webcams to be available soon and give a better depiction of mountain conditions.

Would be nice to have some way of gauging the lines. I often use these to "social distance" myself to somewhere with a shorter line.

I use them the same way (or at least used to). This sounds like code for "we don't want people to see what's really happening because we know it won't look good".

That said, SB should find out how K is doing it in their app with the lift wait times. Their app shows the estimated wait times at all open lifts. For example the K app right now shows a 0-2 minute wait at all open lifts other than the Gondola which has a 2-5 minute wait. That seems like a good system to help people do what they used to do with the lift line cams at SB.

nhskier1969

If they have lower downspout open to the base it won't make a difference. The only good terrain open on the mountain is off of Heaven Gate. Adding lower downspout isn't going to excite anyone. It's basically a runout to the bottom. They really need to open up terrain off of bravo. IE domino, lower OG and bird land. This would take traffic off of Heaven Gate. Gatehouse opening won't elevate the crowd on bravo or HG, they will only have beginner terrain open.

Slidebrook87

If they have lower downspout open to the base it won't make a difference. The only good terrain open on the mountain is off of Heaven Gate. Adding lower downspout isn't going to excite anyone. It's basically a runout to the bottom. They really need to open up terrain off of bravo. IE domino, lower OG and bird land. This would take traffic off of Heaven Gate. Gatehouse opening won't elevate the crowd on bravo or HG, they will only have beginner terrain open.
I think what he means is that if someone sees an extremely long line at Heaven’s Gate, they have the choice to bypass it and ski to the base where the lines are most likely shorter. And to your point, I think more trails off of Bravo will also help ease crowds at Heaven’s Gate. As I mentioned in a post a little back, if for some reason you skied downspout, organgrinder or ripcord and didn’t know how long the line was, you had to wait in it no matter what.