• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

If your not comfortable skiing trees alone..don't.
I've never thought its a good idea..
I get it. That said, I'm very comfortable skiing the in bounds trees by myself and do so at SB on a regular basis.

However, there are three differences in my mind. First is that while I may not be able to see the marked trail from where I am in the glades, I inherently know that there is a trail to my left or right or both. The second part is that I also know that I will eventually reach a lift. The last thing is that while there are some pretty nice glades in bounds, there is nothing the size of Slidebrook where you in theory could end up lost. Even if I tried, it would be pretty hard for me to get lost in Semi-Tough or Eden.

mikec142

Guys,

I appreciate all the Slidebrook feedback. Part of what makes this site so valuable to me is the knowledge and the generosity of the participants.

Mike

thetrailboss

Staff member
I get it. That said, I'm very comfortable skiing the in bounds trees by myself and do so at SB on a regular basis.

However, there are three differences in my mind. First is that while I may not be able to see the marked trail from where I am in the glades, I inherently know that there is a trail to my left or right or both. The second part is that I also know that I will eventually reach a lift. The last thing is that while there are some pretty nice glades in bounds, there is nothing the size of Slidebrook where you in theory could end up lost. Even if I tried, it would be pretty hard for me to get lost in Semi-Tough or Eden.
I think that they used to offer group tours.....I don't know if they still do. This would be a great way to introduce the area to you. I finally skied it my last two seasons there with a buddy and it is really nice. Long runs and nice trees. Yes, you would be SOL if you were hurt and alone in there. It is pretty big but generally it all leads to the Slide Brook and down to German Flats or back to the resort via the Condos.

pinnoke

ME was ridiculous today. You didn’t have to look hard to find it. Freshies everywhere between the trails & lots of sunshine.
+1 !!!!! Lots of powder; lots of sunshine; wonderfully uncrowded. Today was a perfect day to ski trails often avoided; a special day, indeed.

Hawk

I am not sure if anybody on here knew this guy. I remember him from MRG and from seeing the pictures posted from Ember Photography about the Mt. Cardigan skin they did. He seems like a nice guy. Goes to show even in New England there is serious risk in the back country.

Ian Forgays - Mt Washington Avalanche

CastlerockMRV

That is tragic. My sincerest condolences to anyone on this board who may have known Ian.

The mention of the terrain trap was particularly eye opening to me. Seems like the situation may not have been any different even if he had an airbag and/or been skiing with a partner that day. I haven't skied any BC lines in VT w/ a >30* sustained pitch, but this will be something I consider if I ever choose to tackle some of those lines up near Stowe or in NH.

1dog

Thx Hawk,

That line is a familiar one. Gives one pause . . . Recall the Cardigan photos - want to go based on them. Nice or not, when it's time, it's time.

I don't like skiing bc alone - but even a friend or two doesn't seem like he'd have been dug out. RIP

1dog

Agree

Back to our show:
Fresh Pow.jpg
IMG_8109.jpg
IMG_8109.jpg
IMG_8109.jpg

pinnoke

And again, the words in PW's post from yesterday, above, can be repeated TODAY. And, I'll repeat a word from another of his/her/they's recent posts: "RIDICULOUS"! I'm officially bringing out an overused word from a few years back (not necessarily related to skiing)...EPIC.

cdskier

This is one of those days I really wish I could have snuck out for a few runs instead of working...looked empty on the webcams and I was a bit surprised to wake up to another 4" of snow this morning.

cdskier

Empty..dumped most of the day..sun came out..went back in..snowed again.
Blower Pow..face shots...

I didn't expect to see you posting about skiing here at SB. I know you've been doing a lot of NY skiing. Did you completely skip the Epic pass this year?

Boxtop Willie

Last 2 days, easily top 10 of all time at SB over 25 years of skiing here. Untracked, knee deep lines in Race Course Woods. Morning Star just perfect. Paradise Woods best ever. Christmas Tree, Eagan's excellent. Amazing what it's like without a January thaw
Moving Zoom meetings around to get more tomorrow.

jaybird

Last 2 days, easily top 10 of all time at SB over 25 years of skiing here. Untracked, knee deep lines in Race Course Woods. Morning Star just perfect. Paradise Woods best ever. Christmas Tree, Eagan's excellent. Amazing what it's like without a January thaw
Moving Zoom meetings around to get more tomorrow.
Exits over snowmaking pipes all clear 👌
Blower .. with density beneath .. ahhhh !