• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

I used MRG's webcams whenever it was snowing on one of my computers..made a great moving picture when I was stuck in the office..

bumpsAndTrees

Perhaps it's worth listing the use cases for web cams: Here are the cases I can think of:
1) Deciding which lift to take -- taking into account the length of the line
2) Determining what trail conditions are: whether the snow has warmed up and softened, whether there's enough snow coverage, or whether a trail is crowded
3) Determining how much snow fell, to decide whether to go skiing at all, or which mountain to go to.
4) Determining whether the outdoor apres ski scene is happening
5) Inspiration -- providing something nice to look at while at work

Use case 1 needs a webcam that points at the base of the lift.
Use case 2 wants a picture of the trail.
Use case 3 wants a picture of the snow take
Use case 4 wants a picture of the plaza outside Castlerock pub
Use case 5 wants a vista or trail picture

I assume there are other use cases. Hopefully, the webcams will serve all use cases. For me, use case 1 is the most important.

SkiTheEast

Speaking of apres - did anyone else catch in John Bleh's wrap that they expanded the Wunderbar downstairs and added a new bar?

SkiTheEast

"When you think about capital improvements and upgrades heading into the winter season, it’s probably fair to say you usually think about something tangible. A new base lodge (like the new VT Adaptive addition over at Mt. Ellen), new equipment (like the new groomer and excavator we purchased), or even a new bar (like how we expanded the Wunderbar onto the Valley House Cafeteria floor with a brand new bar and seating)."

Hawk

Yes, I forgat to mention that in my post about the community day meeting. They did mention the new Wunderbar extension into the old location that was used as the ski school lunch room. When I first skied Sugarbush back around 1983, that same location was the Wunderbar. I guess things come full circle.

tumbler

Down by the bathrooms? I read it that is was the cafeteria space that the Wunderbar used last year which made me wonder if the VH cafeteria was not going to be open this year and used as the Wunderbar kitchen again this year. I wonder who is going to be running the WB operation this year?

KustyTheKlown

the new season of big mouth (netflix cartoon for adults from nick kroll and john mulaney) has an episode where they go skiing. the show is about kids going thru puberty, and adolescent raging hormones, and dick jokes, so i initially took sugarbush as the name of the ski area to be a dick joke type coincidence. however, a plot point then involves the main character working up the balls to ski organgrinder, and another joke later in the episode mentions how this place is bullshit and there are real mountains out west. I'm assuming a writer, possibly kroll himself (who is a rich kid from rye ny), had family trips to sugarbush as a youth

Last edited:

HowieT2

the new season of big mouth (netflix cartoon for adults from nick kroll and john mulaney) has an episode where they go skiing. the show is about kids going thru puberty, and adolescent raging hormones, and dick jokes, so i initially took sugarbush as the name of the ski area to be a dick joke type coincidence. however, a plot point then involves the main character working up the balls to ski organgrinder, and another joke later in the episode mentions how this place is bullshit and there are real mountains out west. I'm assuming a writer, possibly kroll himself (who is a rich kid from rye ny), had family trips to sugarbush as a youth
that show is funny if highly highly inappropriate for those easily offended. and that's correct about Nick Kroll. went to same high school years earlier as my kids.

KustyTheKlown

i'm actually seeing kroll do stand up this Friday as part of the NY Comedy Festival. it's at carnegie hall, which I've managed to never visit despite my 36 years as a new yorker. practice practice practice.

HowieT2

i'm actually seeing kroll do stand up this Friday as part of the NY Comedy Festival. it's at carnegie hall, which I've managed to never visit despite my 36 years as a new yorker. practice practice practice.
He's funny as is the rest of that crew. do u listen to how did this get made?

KustyTheKlown

i dont but i am aware of it and i really should, especially with long drive season approaching. love jason mantzoukas and paul scheer. and in my opinion paul scheer punches way above his weight class with june diane - she's very pretty and very funny. saw john mulaney twice in the past few months and his new hour is fantastic. i am sure it will eventually be a netflix special.

HowieT2

i dont but i am aware of it and i really should, especially with long drive season approaching. love jason mantzoukas and paul scheer. and in my opinion paul scheer punches way above his weight class with june diane - she's very pretty and very funny. saw john mulaney twice in the past few months and his new hour is fantastic. i am sure it will eventually be a netflix special.
its perfect for the car ride. We saw Mulaney live before his troubles, great show.

NYSnowflake

What kind of vibe are you looking for? Are you looking for something on-mountain at the end of the ski day? Or something off-mountain in the evening?
We’re going to be up there quite a bit this season so I think we would try several different places. Starting with on Mountain at the end of the ski day…

KustyTheKlown

Sugarbush is kind of sleepy compared to killington and Stowe. There’s two bars at the base area basically, one in the old lodge by the valley house chair, and the castlerock pub in the main lodge. Castlerock is the only apres scene I really know of. There may be something at the bar at rumbles, the higher end restaurant at the base.

cdskier

We’re going to be up there quite a bit this season so I think we would try several different places. Starting with on Mountain at the end of the ski day…

At Lincoln Peak, Castlerock pub is the main spot for apres. Wunderbar is another option that had a loyal following in the past. Not sure what the vibe at Wunderbar is going to be like this year though. They've made some changes there (a combination of what was mentioned above in this thread a few posts back along with some people's favorite bartenders at Wunderbar leaving last year).

Off mountain we'll have to see what happens this year with which places open. A few off the top of my head that could be options would be Lawson's, Mad River Barn, and Hyde Away, There's a new wine bar that is just opening in the valley called Alpino Vino. I'm curious to check that one out myself...

I'm sure there are other regulars in this thread that can chime in with more details/options. I'm personally a big fan of just going back to my condo and relaxing there before going out to dinner in the valley.