• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
100 from Brattleboro? I'm assuming you'd take 30 to get to 100, as 100 runs N/S and closest it gets to Brattleboro is Wilmington.

There are a lot of tight curves/roads on 100 between Wilmington and Ludlow. The section to the north has always seemed to have more "breathing room". Then there's always the Bridgewater "toll" to watch out for. The climb up the east side of K-mart is pretty significant and could be a challenge. My favorite way to go is still 107 to Stockbridge, then 100.

If you're stopping in Manchester for lunch (which if you do, you're taking 30 from BBoro to Manch-vegas)... I'd head up Rt 7 to Rutland and then cut over Rt 4. Either way, on that side of the ridge, you still have to climb it to get to the eastern side, and that could be variable in a storm. But given the traffic on Rt 4 heading to K-mart, by Sat you should be in good shape.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Do you have snow tires, awd?
I’m driving home friday night and I’ll give you an update on the road conditions.

thanks. drive safe.

i have a nissan rogue awd but all season tires, and i'm at the end of my lease so they have like 35k miles on them, and i don't know yet if i am going to buy out the lease or get a new car so i have been reluctant to get snows. i've managed without them for the past few years but have had enough oh fuck moments that i now fully acknowledge the need, but it just wont be til next season when i know my long term car situation

NYSnowflake

I have an all day lesson Saturday… with this storm I am keeping my fingers crossed to explore some new trails I have never been on before! ❄️⛄

tumbler

Gonna make a run for it in a few hours and stick to main roads with pavement and take it slow.

Hawk

In my experience, dirt roads are better in this situation. The dirt mixes in with the snow and sleet and is more consistant.

tumbler

Thanks. It's only Roxbury Gap so not a huge deal to avoid. It's the freezing rain that really effects the dirt roads, hopefully none of that.

skiur

I have no clue why and this was my only time ever seeing it, but during January/February of the 19/20 ski season, the skier's right had what seemed to be man made snow covered in a sheet of ice. Nobody was skiing that side due to it being practically unskiable. Instead, people were skiing the skier's left closer to the tower guns where there was relatively thin cover.

I typically use "natural", especially when referring to Sunday River to describe an ungroomed trail (eg. Tin Woodsman or South Paw). Both of those trails are rarely ever groomed from what I understand but still have snowmaking. I'd consider FIS to be a natural trail since it is almost never groomed even though it does still have snowmaking.
That's great that you use "natural" to describe ungroomed, but pretty much every other skier/snowboarder uses the term "natural" to describe trails without snowmaking.

crank

I drove up in a foot plus storm that started out as rain and freezing rain a bunch of years ago. Even with my 4 wheel drive HIghlander it was definitely a white knuckle drive.

All y'all be careful out there. We are flying out Saturday morning from Newark to Jackson Hole where there is no new snow. Wishing we could pivot and drive to VT.

cdskier

Still not quite sure when I'm getting up there. Hoping it clears out early enough tomorrow to drive up in the afternoon at some point.

I think I may need to start planning to spend some extended time in the MRV and just working from there mid-week instead of driving back and forth . One of the big reasons I was driving back and forth is no longer a factor...

rocks860

We probably won’t leave ct until about 10 on Saturday as we can’t check in at eagles until 4 so we would be up to the killington area until afternoon on Saturday. If the snow stops Friday I’m hoping we’re good taking 100 by Saturday afternoon

KustyTheKlown

you'll be totally fine by saturday daylight. it is now thru sunrise saturday that i am worried about driving. and i am hoping my worry for late Friday night/early Sat morning is misplaced and overblown. if things remain sketch tomorrow night, i do as you do and drive Saturday afternoon too, and i have zero drive worry if that is what goes down