• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

SteezyRob

did the castlerock hike 4 times yesterday. i had only done it 2 or 3 times before over the years and it wasn't as long as i thought it would be. so i skied all four trails and rumble was definitely the best. probably 1.5-1.75 hours hiking and a good 1 hour skiing (on castlerock) so i'd say that's a pretty good ratio. really glad i was able to get there before the rain.

Hawk

did the castlerock hike 4 times yesterday. i had only done it 2 or 3 times before over the years and it wasn't as long as i thought it would be. so i skied all four trails and rumble was definitely the best. probably 1.5-1.75 hours hiking and a good 1 hour skiing (on castlerock) so i'd say that's a pretty good ratio. really glad i was able to get there before theIt
You must be pretty slow hiking. ;-)

urungus

You must be pretty slow hiking. ;-)
90 Minutes / 4 = 22.5 minutes per hike, isn’t that about average ? Took me close to an hour last year for a single trip, as I am old and out of shape - now that’s a slow hike.

cdskier

90 Minutes / 4 = 22.5 minutes per hike, isn’t that about average ? Took me close to an hour last year for a single trip, as I am old and out of shape - now that’s a slow hike.

22.5 seems pretty good to me. I know some people say they do it in 15...but I'm definitely not in good enough shape to do that.

Took me about 35-40 minutes this past week...but I also stop to take pictures. And as I was at the church my cousin started texting me, so I was texting back and forth with him for a bit. Not sure what it would take if I didn't stop (I'd guess in the 20-25 range). But it is too beautiful along the way usually for me to not stop and get out my camera.

teleo

Same here. Skinned north lynx yesterday instead. Had to get good snow before it got trashed today. Nice peaceful skin. No one around except a patroller up top. And probably less tracks down.

Snowing sideways now with the wind.

ducky

62 yo me and my 66 yo bud do it in 17 min. Walk all the way, no getting in and out but do boot ski the slopes. If it were up to us, the lift would never spin.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Just checked the report to see how they fared.

The good - 78 trails open today. Nice

The bad - heavens gate on mechanical hold 🧐

cdskier

Just checked the report to see how they fared.

The good - 78 trails open today. Nice

The bad - heavens gate on mechanical hold 🧐

You must have caught it at just the right time when you checked. Looking at the webcam, looks like it was maybe closed only a few minutes.

As for the number of trails open...open is one thing, but whether they are enjoyable to ski is another. I'm curious what they're actually like.

djd66

I’m not at the mountain, but from looking at my webcams at my house - it seems like it was not a total loss and there is still plenty of natural snow on the ground. I hope that is the case and we get a refresh soon!

teleo

Dodged a bullet. Probably a net gain. But we have the traditional eastern base now. Much better than I expected. 2cnd groom will help. Nats are unforgiving wind packed. But were fun once they got enough traffic.