• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yea, the 2011-2012 season was the first year I was a passholder and then they were only doing the weekends/holidays thing with Slide Brook. The 2012-2013 season was when they switched to running it whenever conditions permit. Maybe it isn't entirely needed, but I personally like that they run it all the time now.

I agree with you. I think it made things better. In addition, I bought a pass to ride the lifts and not a bus.

ThinkSnow

When I was a passholder, from 2007-2011, they made a point of saying that "due to cost" it would only run weekends and holidays. Sounds like they have reversed that.

I've don't recall ever hearing SBX wouldn't run due to cost. A few seasons back it didn't run because some repair parts were needed, and then otherwise only when there was not enough snow to facilitate unforseen lift evacs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've don't recall ever hearing SBX wouldn't run due to cost. A few seasons back it didn't run because some repair parts were needed, and then otherwise only when there was not enough snow to facilitate unforseen lift evacs.

We asked it here and/or in SkiMRV. Win said it was simply too expensive for it to run midweek and off-peak periods.

HowieT2

We asked it here and/or in SkiMRV. Win said it was simply too expensive for it to run midweek and off-peak periods.

That's correct.

I rarely use. Out of the 40-50 days i'm there a season, maybe I'll ride it 5 times.

HowieT2

I vote good that Slidebrook was left virtually untouched.

Although I'm still in favor of developing something else at ME at some point in the future :razz: (I think upper Inverness would be my vote there).

them's fighting words!:fangun:

Newpylong

Def runs when they can now vs weekends/holidays. I prefer it over the shuttle.

Ran every day when they could from 95-99 when I lived there as well.

cdskier

them's fighting words!:fangun:

Hah! Well we certainly won't be fighting with that snowgun even if they did expand at ME in the future somehow. I distinctly remember win saying the grandfathered permit they have for snowmaking at ME does not allow for any expansion of that system. :)

And the chances of it ever happening are pretty damn slim anyway, so no need to worry anytime soon!

cdskier

Def runs when they can now vs weekends/holidays. I prefer it over the shuttle.

I prefer it over the shuttle too. You lose too much time on the shuttle I think between taking your skis off, walking down to the bus, waiting for the bus if your timing isn't just right, etc.

If I want to ski ME earlier in the day or when Slide Brook isn't running, I can always just drive there (like I've done on ME's opening day the past 2 years).

machski

Yup, I stopped skiing there midweek when they shut SBX midweek. There are runs on both sides I enjoy and often only go for a day or 2 a season. Without SBX, it takes too long to make the slog back and forth by bus. Without both connected by a lift, I find it less desirable to make the drive there.

HowieT2

Hah! Well we certainly won't be fighting with that snowgun even if they did expand at ME in the future somehow. I distinctly remember win saying the grandfathered permit they have for snowmaking at ME does not allow for any expansion of that system. :)

And the chances of it ever happening are pretty damn slim anyway, so no need to worry anytime soon!

Agreed. But if you haven't had the opportunity to explore up there, I'm game.

HowieT2

I prefer it over the shuttle too. You lose too much time on the shuttle I think between taking your skis off, walking down to the bus, waiting for the bus if your timing isn't just right, etc.

If I want to ski ME earlier in the day or when Slide Brook isn't running, I can always just drive there (like I've done on ME's opening day the past 2 years).

Yeah, the shuttle is really for getting back to either lp or me after a slidebrook run. For that, it's excellent.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Never ridden the shuttle. I have ridden Slidebrook every time I've been to Sugarbush and it has been spinning.

Even at Stowe where the shuttle ride was much shorter I hardly ever used it to get to Spruce. I use the over easy gondola every time I'm there now.

vonski

No need to take off one boot if you can break with the left foot. I can drive with both feet. My left foot got bored after I got rid of my manual transmission years ago. So sometimes I use both sometimes just the right foot. But I have made that ride between North and South many times with two boots on!!