• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Its called "sarcasm." Look it up.

I get that the spike comment was facetious or sarcastic...but that doesn't change the fact that you're grasping at straws and making a big deal about something that is really a non-issue.

If you don't own the property or have any relation to it, why do you even care if someone DID use the driveway? Wouldn't that be something for Sugarbush to address and find a way to stop if it happened since it would be their driveway (which I still think is extremely unlikely to happen in the first place)? I don't know what kind of people you hang out with, but people I know don't drive through private property to save 2 minutes. Also never really would expect any of the people in the MRV to be the type to do that either...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Again, not the homeowner, nor related, and the suggestion that the existing homeowner refused an offer is only hearsay mentioned on site. My only point- and yes being passionate about it- was an attempt to generate some intelligent conversation about the situation. But now I can see exactly where I went wrong.
I think that the discussion is fine. And it would make sense if SB did offer to buy that person out. It resolves the conflict for them. And Alterra has financial resources.

HowieT2

Sugarbush Inn would be back in the lodging pool once the new employee housing is built. So that will help. It could use a bit of modernization though, although there are also a lot of people looking for cheaper bare-bones places (I know some people that loved SB Inn as is).

I'm struggling to see a way for a "modern hotel" to exist at the base operating as independent. The demand just doesn't exist in the non-winter months at the base. (I'm not even sure there'd be enough demand for that type of facility in the valley off-season). So to operate a hotel for less than half a year is going to be a challenge to sustain. As someone else said, a hotel of that type would only be able to survive if they charged premium prices. Which isn't what you're looking for if you're already saying Claybrook is too expensive. Only way I could see it working is if it was owned/built by SB themselves. And wasn't that a plan at one point to build something like that?
just for the record, when I say "modern hotel" I mean a new structure with up to date amenities and systems. I'm not saying it has to look futuristic or anything like that.

cdskier

just for the record, when I say "modern hotel" I mean a new structure with up to date amenities and systems. I'm not saying it has to look futuristic or anything like that.

Yea...that's what I had assumed you meant. I'm still unsure if the demand is truly there to support it year-round. The need I'm seeing mentioned is essentially summed up as "reasonably priced, but up to date hotel-like facility close to the mountain". Creating something new that meets that criteria is where the major challenge comes in. Anything new is going to be expensive to build and run, which makes it difficult for the rooms to be reasonably priced. Unless there's something I'm missing. Which is why the only way I see it really working is if it is owned/built by SB and not an independent entity. The other question is where would this fit near the base. Parking has been full already several days this year, so I'd be hesitant to be in favor of anything that would take away even a single parking spot at this point (unless there's also a way/location to add more parking near the mountain).

This may be unpopular or even a bit selfish perhaps...but how much more growth can the mountain support in the winter? (There's plenty of room for growth non-winter...). There's already some people saying SB has become a bit too popular lately. Parking has essentially been maxed out a few times already this year. Or are we not really looking for growth in terms of skier visits and just looking to shift where people stay? (i.e. stay local instead of in Waterbury hotels, or instead of in AirBnBs, etc).

mikec142

Three quick thoughts:

1. I haven't been up nearly as much this season as in the past (snow sux, kids home from college, and a host of other reasons). But when I have been up, I've been surprised by how packed the LP parking lots are. C'est la vie.

2. I stayed at the Sugar Lodge last year during part of MLK weekend and into the week. While I appreciated how close it was to the mountain (especially given that it dumped snow while I was there), I haven't stayed in a place that run down in years.

3. Mother nature and life have conspired to keep me away from SB...heading to Gore tomorrow, Telluride the following weekend and then unless the weather really changes, we have plans at home the weekend after that (if it dumps, I'll cancel those plans). I miss SB.

cdskier

Yuck...48 degrees at the base right now and pretty wet out...I didn't see forecasts saying anything about temps being that high this morning when I looked at the NWS forecasts last night before I went to sleep. This weather really needs to turn around quickly... We need some winter!

Lotso

Forecasters blew this one. Predicted high temps way below what actually came through. Pouring here now in the Valley. Ugh. Worst winter in many years.

HowieT2

Three quick thoughts:

1. I haven't been up nearly as much this season as in the past (snow sux, kids home from college, and a host of other reasons). But when I have been up, I've been surprised by how packed the LP parking lots are. C'est la vie.

2. I stayed at the Sugar Lodge last year during part of MLK weekend and into the week. While I appreciated how close it was to the mountain (especially given that it dumped snow while I was there), I haven't stayed in a place that run down in years.

3. Mother nature and life have conspired to keep me away from SB...heading to Gore tomorrow, Telluride the following weekend and then unless the weather really changes, we have plans at home the weekend after that (if it dumps, I'll cancel those plans). I miss SB.
same here. heading out to colorado where both my kids are currently living.
we stayed at the sugar lodge last year and calling it run down is an understatement.

Boxtop Willie

I may be remembering incorrectly but wasn't the latest iteration of the development plan around Rice Brook and Gadd Brook buildings more of a hotel/conference center rather than luxury condos? This was pre-Alterra so I may be way off or just several plans behind.

HowieT2

I may be remembering incorrectly but wasn't the latest iteration of the development plan around Rice Brook and Gadd Brook buildings more of a hotel/conference center rather than luxury condos? This was pre-Alterra so I may be way off or just several plans behind.
That’s my recollection as well. There was a hotel building in the plan that I thought was to follow the completion of the aforementioned condo buildings.

djd66

I think that was the plan too,... when Win sold (and covid hit) plans may have changed

cdskier

That’s my recollection as well. There was a hotel building in the plan that I thought was to follow the completion of the aforementioned condo buildings.

Yes, I remember that in the plans as well at some point.