• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Smellytele

I’m down to my last Lawson’s at home. Hoping to hit the mrv for July 4. Seems to me this vt quarantine is a bit of overkill at this point. Anyone have any visibility on when it gets lifted?

I am really craving a double SOS.
Local NH brewery (Henniker Brewery) opened up this week with outdoor seating. Stopped in yesterday to have a couple with the wife and picked up a couple of 4-packs.

HowieT2

I am really craving a double SOS.
Local NH brewery (Henniker Brewery) opened up this week with outdoor seating. Stopped in yesterday to have a couple with the wife and picked up a couple of 4-packs.

exactly! I can get sos here in ny, but not the double or triple. And I’m partial to the latter. I need more than a sip.

Zermatt

I’m down to my last Lawson’s at home. Hoping to hit the mrv for July 4. Seems to me this vt quarantine is a bit of overkill at this point. Anyone have any visibility on when it gets lifted?

Considering Vermont has multiple days with no new cases I doubt they end that anytime soon.

With that said I'm sure thousands of tourists are in Vermont this weekend and are not hiding in their homes.

BenedictGomez

Understatement. Probably the most absurd response of all 50 states (certainly top 5).

Understatement. Probably the most absurd response of all 50 states (certainly top 5).

It seems clear that they've decided to go with the "any risk of a singe transmission is too much" philosophy, at least officially. Their messaging on Friday about being worried about cases in neighboring states is telling. I loved how they even threw Quebec in there, as if anyone thinks Canada is going to allow their border to open this summer. Super rich. (We own a few seasonal rentals in Old Orchard Beach and Maine's similar policy has completely hosed us for the summer -- the Quebec folks can't even get there if they wanted to and everyone else isn't going to quarantine for two weeks, and Maine has placed the burden of enforcement on business owners, as has Vermont).

I could maybe understand this policy for maybe the first month or so while there was still a great deal of uncertainty, but now that there are effectively zero cases and plenty of healthcare capacity it's really pissing me off. In addition the state *knows* that there have been plenty of people coming north and yet there hasn't been a problem. It's just so much xenophobic selfishness. It seems like there are plenty of people in Vermont that would be willing to keep "out of state" plates out for the next two or so years while this gets sorted out (or permanently). The whole reaction to out-of-staters has been so disgusting, but I keep telling myself that sentiment has always been there just waiting for an excuse.

I've pretty much decided I'm out for next winter, not because of a virus I've already had, but because the MRV has become a pretty nasty place the last couple of months and I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere. Anyone looking for a house in East Warren with a beautiful view of the Northfield Range?

Hawk

exactly! I can get sos here in ny, but not the double or triple. And I’m partial to the latter. I need more than a sip.
Howie, Terri and I went up Thursday night and came back today. It was kind of crazy. No one with green plates wears masks or social distance for the most part. Just the NY and MA people. We brought all of our own food and drink but when we got there, people were very chill. Flat bread was doing take out as was most of the others. Considering how long I have been home and seen no one, I felt more unsafe up there considering how many people did no social distancing or wearing of masks. FYI I heard there is an abundance of beer because no one is up there buying it. I think if you are responsible and use your common sense there is no issues.

djd66

It seems clear that they've decided to go with the "any risk of a singe transmission is too much" philosophy, at least officially. Their messaging on Friday about being worried about cases in neighboring states is telling. I loved how they even threw Quebec in there, as if anyone thinks Canada is going to allow their border to open this summer. Super rich. (We own a few seasonal rentals in Old Orchard Beach and Maine's similar policy has completely hosed us for the summer -- the Quebec folks can't even get there if they wanted to and everyone else isn't going to quarantine for two weeks, and Maine has placed the burden of enforcement on business owners, as has Vermont).

I could maybe understand this policy for maybe the first month or so while there was still a great deal of uncertainty, but now that there are effectively zero cases and plenty of healthcare capacity it's really pissing me off. In addition the state *knows* that there have been plenty of people coming north and yet there hasn't been a problem. It's just so much xenophobic selfishness. It seems like there are plenty of people in Vermont that would be willing to keep "out of state" plates out for the next two or so years while this gets sorted out (or permanently). The whole reaction to out-of-staters has been so disgusting, but I keep telling myself that sentiment has always been there just waiting for an excuse.

I've pretty much decided I'm out for next winter, not because of a virus I've already had, but because the MRV has become a pretty nasty place the last couple of months and I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere. Anyone looking for a house in East Warren with a beautiful view of the Northfield Range?

You are not the only one that has this same feeling. It’s very disturbing to hear the sentiment towards anyone with an out of state plate. If/when I go to VT, I will be keeping to myself just like I have been doing at home in Mass for the past 2 months.
If the businesses of VT want to have any kind of recovery, they should encourage the locals to make visitors to feel welcome.

Smellytele

You are not the only one that has this same feeling. It’s very disturbing to hear the sentiment towards anyone with an out of state plate. If/when I go to VT, I will be keeping to myself just like I have been doing at home in Mass for the past 2 months.
If the businesses of VT want to have any kind of recovery, they should encourage the locals to make visitors to feel welcome.

Says the visitor...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I own a home in VT and pay over $12,000/year in property taxes. Am I a visitor?

Now you've done it :p Pointing out that property and sales tax revenue from non-residents is pretty much the only reason many towns can have Nice Things and why the state doesn't have the same standard of living as West Virginia really gets Vermonters angry ...

icecoast1

Says the tourist...
Some people in VT don’t care about tourism believe or not. They move there to get away from people. Others born there don’t care about tourism either. Do a lot of them? Yes but a lot don’t.

It's still the truth. Shunning people based on the color of the license plate on their car can only go on for so long unless the "locals" plan on finding another way of bringing all of the lost revenue into their state

Smellytele

The "Sugarbush Thread"

It's still the truth. Shunning people based on the color of the license plate on their car can only go on for so long unless the "locals" plan on finding another way of bringing all of the lost revenue into their state

I am not from VT but what I said is the truth as well. Some locals really don’t like out of staters. It happens in any state or country. The ones who directly make money from tourism are one thing but others who don’t see it directly see it differently. Loggers, farmers, hospital workers and etc may not see it the same as restaurants/ store owners and inn keeps.

djd66

To the locals who live there 365? Yes

I get it. The same thing goes on in many communities where there are second home owners.

I guess if I lived there year round and I had a problem with Mass plates,... I would not live in the MRV.

Newpylong

There are always going to be those who don't get it and always frown upon out of staters, they can't be helped. However what is chapping people's asses (mine included) are the second home owners coming up for a day or two, heading out like a normal spring, then going back south on Sunday. "Locals" have been largely sheltered in place outside of passive outdoor activity and don't take kindly to it. This is how the persona of second home owners is made in my mind - it has nothing to do with money. It's no different (but potentially deadlier) than the family down the road who rides their snowmobiles back and forth in the road, and in summer on their ATVs like this is their playground for 2 days and no one else lives here. It is unfortunate because the vast majority of second home owners if it wasn't for the plate you would never know they're there. Some eventually retire to their second home and become primary residents.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I am not from VT but what I said is the truth as well. Some locals really don’t like out of staters. It happens in any state or country. The ones who directly make money from tourism are one thing but others who don’t see it directly see it differently. Loggers, farmers, hospital workers and etc may not see it the same as restaurants/ store owners and inn keeps.
Loggers, farmers and hospital workers should view it just the same as restaurant, store and inn owners.

For one, they should be concerned that their neighbors are suffering great economic harm.

For two, the economic loss from lack of tourism ultimately will hurt everyone. Less money for police and fire departments, schools and local infrastructure that everyone relies on.

Living on the NH Seacoast, I get the annoyance that tourism crowds can bring. Now through foliage season I have to think a bit more about travel planning because of how jammed up 16, 95 and the local roads get. Numerous local places I enjoy going to the rest of the year I completely avoid right now. But, I realize the seasonal annoyance all serves to benefit me in the long run even though I don't rely on tourism for my personal income.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

HowieT2

If you live in NY you can order from here and get free delivery.....I ordered and got my order the next day.

https://taprm.com/

you can only get the Lawson’s brewed in ct, not anything from waitsfield.

i think it’s misguided to believe that vt is somehow unique in being leery of outsiders. The same sentiment exists in other tourist locales whether it’s the berkshires, Catskills, jersey shore or the hamptons. People are scared and freaking out. It’s easy and understandable to blame the govt and the lockdown orders but what I’m seeing and hearing, is that people are afraid to reengage even after the orders have been lifted. We are going into phase one of the lifting of our lockdown, and most people I’ve spoken to aren’t ready to go out to restaurants or return to their offices even though it will be legally permissible. It’s my nieces daughters 3rd birthday today and my niece won’t even let her mother come in to her house. My in-laws are holed up in the berkshires and I doubt they will interact with anyone, their children included, until there is a vaccine. Fear is a terrible thing.