• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

speden

Always love to hear about some crooks getting caught. I hope they do some jail time over it instead of just getting a fine. I used to lock my stuff up regularly, but as it got more outdated I stopped bothering. One time like a bonehead I went home and had left my unlocked skis on the rack overnight and thought, oh man, they'll probably get stolen. Nope, guest services had them in safe keeping the next morning when I went looking for them. Seems like 99.9% of the people at the resorts are honest, but sometimes there are a few bad apples roaming around.

1dog

Skis left

Always love to hear about some crooks getting caught. I hope they do some jail time over it instead of just getting a fine. I used to lock my stuff up regularly, but as it got more outdated I stopped bothering. One time like a bonehead I went home and had left my unlocked skis on the rack overnight and thought, oh man, they'll probably get stolen. Nope, guest services had them in safe keeping the next morning when I went looking for them. Seems like 99.9% of the people at the resorts are honest, but sometimes there are a few bad apples roaming around.

3 years ago at Tuckermans , huge day, blue bird, snow skiable all the way down Sherburne Trail to the lodge at Pinkham.

My 5 year old Samoyed climbed Hillmans with me even tho I implored him to stay -no luck - my other Sammie couldn't make the steep slope so had no choice and waited till I summitted and skied down to base of Hillmans. Not Polar. So we launch the small headwall at the 'V' entrance and I took 5 or 6 turns, stopped to make sure he was coming. . . .no luck. Skied all the way to Ho Jo's and then expected he'd finally come. He didn't, I had to hike up and get him - few steps at a time.

He had ( I didn't know at the time) bad premature arthritis. 3 hours later I get down to Pinkham with no less than 50-60 people justy hanging out tailgating and sitting on picnic tables - asked them to watch Polar and my gear because I had to park at least 1/2 mile down rt 16.
He couldn't walk any more. Had to heave him into wagon back - drove home, next day realized I left my gear - skis, poles, out at table. Called Pinkham ' yep, got em right here.

didn't pick up until late July.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I never lock my skis although I separate them on the rack but have a look around to see if anyone is watching me first. Further apart on weekdays though .

How do you lock a Snowboard that the lock couldn't be skid off? Hole in the tip or tail ?

I can still see the facial expression on one of my friends that had his skis stolen in 1978 ..... Sucks

I remember some time ago "Killington maybe" ? putting out bait skis with transmitters on them .

cdskier

I used to lock my skis all the time when I skied in NJ and the poconos. I don’t think I’ve ever locked them at sugarbush though. I rarely see anyone lock their skis here.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Julius

Hey guys & gals I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a long time Sugarbusher and log a healthy number of days on the hill like many of you here. Hi.

I recall years ago somewhere in the 90s one night at the old base lodge bar around closing. It was snowing at a good clip, visibility was low but you could see the spotlight shining below the outer deck for those that remember. I had a brand new pair of red skis that day with a bit of reflective white. Just happened that my girlfriend at the time saw a kid carrying two sets of skis and one caught her eye.

Before we knew what was going on she was out the door, around and down the corner and in process of tackling the guy (with reinforcement soon behind). The guy was so startled he dropped and ran. I bought her another beer and we have been together ever since.

Never had another issue nor worry with not locking my skis since.

WinS

The Heaven’s Gate lift will be closed tomorrow and the entire area will be closed including hiking over to CR. We are towing an excavator up in the early A.M. In order to repair the broken snowmaking pipe on Ripcord. It would be too dangerous to have anyone in the area. Hopefully, we can get in finished tomorrow and reopen that area on Wednesday.

MorningWoods

Hey guys & gals I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a long time Sugarbusher and log a healthy number of days on the hill like many of you here. Hi.

I recall years ago somewhere in the 90s one night at the old base lodge bar around closing. It was snowing at a good clip, visibility was low but you could see the spotlight shining below the outer deck for those that remember. I had a brand new pair of red skis that day with a bit of reflective white. Just happened that my girlfriend at the time saw a kid carrying two sets of skis and one caught her eye.

Before we knew what was going on she was out the door, around and down the corner and in process of tackling the guy (with reinforcement soon behind). The guy was so startled he dropped and ran. I bought her another beer and we have been together ever since.

Never had another issue nor worry with not locking my skis since.

That’s a good woman! [emoji109]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tumbler

The Heaven’s Gate lift will be closed tomorrow and the entire area will be closed including hiking over to CR. We are towing an excavator up in the early A.M. In order to repair the broken snowmaking pipe on Ripcord. It would be too dangerous to have anyone in the area. Hopefully, we can get in finished tomorrow and reopen that area on Wednesday.

Good luck, at least it looks like they can come across the Spills traverse to get to it. Slippery and steep no matter how you cut it

ThinkSnow

Back in the late 90's I had my snowboard stolen at Haystack (when it was still Haystack) while packing up to go home. Reported it to the mountain, who took a full report. Later that week got a call the mountain had found my board & they shipped it to me-- I was quite impressed. I think someone thought my piece of garbage board was much nicer than it was, took it out for a ride, and then brought it back.

Never lock my gear at SB, and probably never will. When skiing with friends at someplace new, will frequently swap skis & put our unmatched pairs in different locations when heading inside.

BenedictGomez

The oft-cited, "my skis are 4 years old so I dont bother locking them" thing is a total fallacy.

The average person or gang stealing skis doesn't know the difference between the 2019 Rossignol Soul 7 model from a cheaply mass-produced straight to box store XYZ model from 2015. They're not stealing skis due to a deep affinity they have for the sport.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The oft-cited, "my skis are 4 years old so I dont bother locking them" thing is a total fallacy.

The average person or gang stealing skis doesn't know the difference between the 2019 Rossignol Soul 7 model from a cheaply mass-produced straight to box store XYZ model from 2015. They're not stealing skis due to a deep affinity they have for the sport.
They might not know that, but they probably do at least look to see what condition the skis are in. If there are two sets of unlocked skis next to each other and one set looks almost new and the other is full of scratches, which do you think they'll grab?

That's my basic justification. But I do tend to lock my gear about 50% of the time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

jaybird

We usually mix gear and separate. Rarely a problem, other than finding them after a couple stiff drinks. 2 years ago walked out of lodge at K apres apres to find a crook holding a friends skis and 2 pair of crap rental skis. We Confronted him. He was apologetic but was definitely there with a purpose. Watched him walk down to a waiting van with a couple pair. Photo of the NY license plate went to Sherriff. The guy got picked up in Rutland .. turns out they had a dozen or more boards and stuff in the van. Sign of the times.:cry:

Many years ago .. midday .. went to the rack and my skis were gone .. was pissed. Reported it. Hung out for a couple hours waiting for the rest of my party to finish their day. On leaving, found my skis in a different rack .. way away from where I had placed them earlier. Bizarro .. musta been too long for the guy, or the wax wasn't right.

slatham

Part of this logic is that after 4 years your gear is beat up and ready for replacement so your not as concerned if someone swipes them and forces you to buy new gear. Whereas a brand spanking new pair of skis (or board) you'll be a bit more careful with.

BenedictGomez

On any given day I never see more than 1 or 2 pairs locked up if any.

It was easier when most resorts provided Ski Key racks. Those things are fantastic, not the least of which because the locking mechanism is so small it's easily carried while skiing. Sadly, many places got rid of them.

Smuggs still has them. Whiteface still has them. Jay Peak got rid of them several years ago. Some places like Gore, still maintain 1 or 2 racks for them, but far fewer than they once had.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
A long time ago I walked out of the lodge to find a guy holding up what looked like my skis. I was almost in full windup to kick his shin when I looked over to see an identical set ...same size ,same bindings ,same leashes ...yea leashes before brakes LOL.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
It was easier when most resorts provided Ski Key racks. Those things are fantastic, not the least of which because the locking mechanism is so small it's easily carried while skiing. Sadly, many places got rid of them.

Smuggs still has them. Whiteface still has them. Jay Peak got rid of them several years ago. Some places like Gore, still maintain 1 or 2 racks for them, but far fewer than they once had.

Those were great but a lot of people used them without locking them but faked it by almost closing the mechanism .