• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Google Earth

Greg

Staff member
Anyone else check out Google Earth yet? Google's temporarily suspending downloads, but I was able to find a download here. If you're running Windows 2000 or XP, check it out. It's really cool.

You can fly over Mount Washington:
washington.png

Or maybe you'd rather visit Whiteface:
whiteface.png

Or Sugarbush:
sugarbush.png

Or even the mighty Jiminy Peak:
jiminy.png

The stills don't do it justice. The really cool part is flying around and zooming in and out. 8)
:beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Downloading now...you do such a great job of finding EVEN MORE distractions for me! :lol: :wink:

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Downloading now...you do such a great job of finding EVEN MORE distractions for me! :lol: :wink:
No prob. This one is a major time suck. Be careful! ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, just spent a few minutes playing around with it...how did you get the 3d images? I'm only getting the aerial shots but not a fly by.

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Yeah, just spent a few minutes playing around with it...how did you get the 3d images? I'm only getting the aerial shots but not a fly by.
The right-hand vertical slider is your tilt. That's the cool part. 8)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
thetrailboss said:
The right-hand vertical slider is your tilt. That's the cool part. 8)

OK, I'll give it another go...wasn't working at the time...

Paul

Yep, been beta-testing it for awhile now. I've been using Keyhole (the larval stage of GE) for about 5 months now. Fun stuff. Check out the 3D buildings in NY and Chicago. Also, the Grand Canyon is a hoot...

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
The sickest thing I've come across is leapfrogging from one spot to another.

Start in DC and then enter Moscow, Russia and watch the flight in action.

-Stephen

Greg

Staff member
The Pemi and Franconia Ridge are cool areas to "fly" around...

TramperKen

:angry: I can't download, site says too many are downloading :cry: I have to come back later.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
interesting how it can't show depth well on buildings which makes sense because the photo was shot from essentially straight down. so the lower you put the angle in boston, the flatter the buildings become whereas lowering the camera position in the mountains shows depth. whew, one hour of my evening has been totally lost!

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
interesting how it can't show depth well on buildings which makes sense because the photo was shot from essentially straight down. so the lower you put the angle in boston, the flatter the buildings become whereas lowering the camera position in the mountains shows depth. whew, one hour of my evening has been totally lost!
For Boston and other major cities you can toggle on a 3D model of the buildings. Click the "Buildings" checkbox. I'm really digging this!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Man, this is sick. I did flyovers of Burke, Whaleback, Pats, Okemo, Killington, etc.

So is it 'in real time feed' or something? I ask because yesterday afternoon Killington was in a large shadow when I did my flyover.

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
So is it 'in real time feed' or something? I ask because yesterday afternoon Killington was in a large shadow when I did my flyover.
Nope. All satellite imagery. Killington happens to be in a dark, but high res image. Try doing a slow and low flight over the Berkshires. The resolution in most of Mass is incredible.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Yeah, you wonder how they decide what gets included for photographic imagery and what doesn't. All of the state of MA is in there, but very little of the rest of New England. All of NJ is there too.

P.S. Check out Giza, Egypt.

-Stephen