• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Season trips and outings

Vortex

We have a few months before we have to get serious, but here we go.
1) My thoughts are to do a trip at an Asc resort.
2) One at a Booth Creek resort... Loon, Waterville or Cranmore.
3)A couple of night skiing events in the 1 1/2 hour
radius of Boston. Hopefully a weekly or semi weekly event... Depending on attendance. AZ guys/gals night out.
4.A couple of other areas Cannon and Magic have had mentioned. We have had interest in a Western Mass region as well.
5. An opening weekend Get together. This would be Sunday River or Killington I would think.
6.We will meet at SugarLoaf again for Reggae. :beer:

My resoning behind these suggestions are. A) Pass holders come to events at their own mountains. Ie ASc and Booth Creek.
B) The same reasons make smaller or non corporate areas a choice of many for the obvious reason they don't want the crowds.
C)Opening Day and Reggae I know people we be going anyway

D)MOST IMPORTANT. I WANT FEED BACK. NOTHING IS SET IN STONE. AT SOME POINT MAYBE WE CAN DO A POLL. AT THIS POINT I WOULD LIKE SOME DISCUSSION. PLANS WILL NOT BE SET UNTIL SKI SEASON IS MUCH CLOSER AND I HAVE THE TIME TO COMMIT WHAT IS NEEDED TO GET THESE GOING.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Bob R said:
We have a few months before we have to get serious, but here we go.
1) My thoughts are to do a trip at an Asc resort.
2) One at a Booth Creek resort... Loon, Waterville or Cranmore.
3)A couple of night skiing events in the 1 1/2 hour
radius of Boston. Hopefully a weekly or semi weekly event... Depending on attendance. AZ guys/gals night out.
4.A couple of other areas Cannon and Magic have had mentioned. We have had interest in a Western Mass region as well.
5. An opening weekend Get together. This would be Sunday River or Killington I would think.

My resoning behind these suggestions are. A) Pass holders come to events at their own mountains. Ie ASc and Booth Creek.
B) The same reasons make smaller or non corporate areas a choice of many for the obvious reason they don't want the crowds.
C)Opening Day and Reggae I know people we be going anyway

D)MOST IMPORTANT. I WANT FEED BACK. NOTHING IS SET IN STONE. AT SOME POINT MAYBE WE CAN DO A POLL. AT THIS POINT I WOULD LIKE SOME DISCUSSION. PLANS WILL NOT BE SET UNTIL SKI SEASON IS MUCH CLOSER AND I HAVE THE TIME TO COMMIT WHAT IS NEEDED TO GET THESE GOING.
I think it all sounds good. The more trips planned the better. Is Jiminy in the 1 hr driving time for night skiing?

bvibert

Staff member
The great outing organizer said:
Western Mass area works for me, I'd love to try BEast again hopefully with more snow. I think a Hunter event would be good to get the NY guys into the act and maybe I'd finally get over there to try it out. :)

I think an opening weekend outing would be a great way to start the season, Killington has my vote there just because of the driving distance.

Might have to try and check this out this upcoming season. :beer:

Vortex

Hunter sounds like a possibility. That would still meet some of the Western mass folks needs. Good point. I had no thought about Jiminy Peak as a night option. Kind of far for the Boston folk. Not out of the question. I could not make that trip. but that should not stop anyone.

awf170

what about burke? a lil far for a lot of people but didnt u have something there last year and a bunch of people showed up?

Vortex

Burke went well. We had a nice small turn out. Anything is open.
I would like to see a few new places visited as well.
The issue is how many people show up. Alot of work was done by TB and Greg last year with not alot of action by the board members.
That being Said RivercOil took a very active roll in getting folks out. We had a core group that I mentioned in another thread show up. We are just trying to expand it. I will be most willing to listen to suggestion from new outing members, just please attend.

I edited this post it sounded rough orginally Sorry.

Vortex

I saw Pat's peak AZ challenge response... 7 person teams for corporate night race series. This would make a great guys night out event. About $88 per person. $600 total. 7 straight weeks staring in Jan. I think this would be a blast. We could call oursleves the AZ No Politcal Threads. :wink:

bvibert

Staff member
Bob R said:
I saw Pat's peak AZ challenge response... 7 person teams for corporate night race series. This would make a great guys night out event. About $88 per person. $600 total. 7 straight weeks staring in Jan. I think this would be a blast. We could call oursleves the AZ No Politcal Threads. :wink:

If I were anywhere near Pat's I'd be in for that...

Vortex

ga2ski said:
Sounds good. I will be at SR opening weekend and K on opening day no matter what day of the week.
I probably will be going to SR the 1st Sat its open.
Ga2ski, how about the AZ ski Team. :idea: Thankx for posting your thoughts guys.
Just an Add on Bvibert was very helpful getting folks together last year as well. I hope some of you share his enthusiasm. :idea: G2ski was the 1st Sr River guy I met. So we do have a good core of folks who get out.

I have also tried inter connect people from other boards. Last year we did a Killingtonzone/AZ cookout and get together. I did the same with the Sunday River discussion board folk also. AndyZee's Killington access group also has joined us and vise versa.

Last thing bring your kids. :idea:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
if we do cannon, i volunteer for tour guide :eek: :beer:

magic and burke were both done last year. not meaning we couldn't do a gathering at those areas again, but always nice to try new places out. i can't say i'll be making it down south for any western mass trips this year though. beast was okay from boston, but i can't justify three hours from StJ when burke, cannon, and jay are in my back yard. 8)

killington would be a great early season destination. i will probably hit up warren miller's annual and grab a pair of free tickets for november. after that, i can't say i'd be interested in either ASC (exception of a weekend at the loaf, which would be super) or booth creek. but i think it is a really good idea since so many people have the ASC pass.

i think it is important to remember that any one at any time can use the trips & events forum to put up an event or get together. last year we had a few officially sanctioned AZ events such as burke, beast, magic, nashoba, and what not. but any one can post here to meet up with others for a day of skiing. "official" AZ events tend to cator more towards meeting the needs of a group with a variety of skiers, but any one can post a trip/event when looking for other people to join them for where ever they plan on skiing.

awf170

riverc0il said:
if we do cannon, i volunteer for tour guide :eek: :beer:

that sounds like an awsome idea :D , we can also have another section called mitersil tour

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
usually the warren miller flicks give out a free ticket or two to ASC mountains for the new england shows. oh man, you wouldn't even believe how much promotional material they get outta those free tickets though. warren miller should insist on three or four tickets a person considering how much free advertising ASC got at the boston show last year.

awf170

riverc0il said:
usually the warren miller flicks give out a free ticket or two to ASC mountains for the new england shows. oh man, you wouldn't even believe how much promotional material they get outta those free tickets though. warren miller should insist on three or four tickets a person considering how much free advertising ASC got at the boston show last year.

nice so do u have a schedule for these shows for around the boston area?

ga2ski

Bob R said:

I'm in. I maybe be able to get some friends or co-workers if we need more racers. I haven't raced in many moons. Can I free-heel? If not I need to get new alpine gear. i don't think the ten eighties will be that fast.

Vortex

Ga2ski, 1st come 1st serve. I would love to field a team. Those who want to join can. So far there are 2 of us. I'll send Pats'peak an email about the tele gear. I thought that is how you would go anyway. That is great news.
Racing really was not my point... it was going out together at night. Kind of like skipping a night at the gym or in my case the exercise bike. The night outings we had last year were great. We skiied had a burger and a beer just shot the breeze.

RiverCoil as previously mentioned really is a catalyst on many of these events. It seems we have had enough interest in Cannon that at least 2 of us will make a Cannon outing Steve. :wink:

Truth time here for me as well. Cannon's location is great for me also. I'm up in that area with my family the western Mass areas and Ny are a long ride for me considering I have a mountain play ground in my back yard. Ya I sound spoiled, but I made it that way by my choice. I have alot invested in the White's emotionally and yes $$$$$ An ASC trip Booth Creek trip and Cannon are easy day trips.

RiverCoil said it best it does not have to start as an AZ trip either. If you want one to go on without me or I can't make it.... Please go for it. Loafer 89 did that last year also.
I skied alot with board members last year in non organized events. Almost weekly. Terry comes to mind here. I want to help and talk up the group, help organize and do what I can.
I don't want to be the boss or put pressure. I like to ski hang out and meet new friends and continue on relationships previous built... and still no politics. :argue:

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:

What and how many tickets you get depends on the area you view the movie. The tickets I got last year were good for free passes until around Christmas, then they were good for buy on get one half off for the rest of the season. Unfortunately I never got to any of the places I had tickets for... :(