• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bolton Valley night riding.

Keelhauled

More than lifts, snowmaking improvements are the only thing I'd want to see there if I were a regular. The place can be pretty limited when Mother Nature isn't cooperating.
Having a high base area is sort of a problem when it comes to water. There's only so much flow to begin with in the brook below timberline, and in extended cold stretches it can lock up so much they can't draw from it at all.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Having a high base area is sort of a problem when it comes to water. There's only so much flow to begin with in the brook below timberline, and in extended cold stretches it can lock up so much they can't draw from it at all.

Could that be alleviated by a larger reservoir that they can fill during warmer weather?

kbroderick

Could that be alleviated by a larger reservoir that they can fill during warmer weather?
I'm pretty sure there was dreaming of a pipeline to pull from the Winooski at one point, but either way seems like it would take a lot of permitting to pull off. In the years I lived up there, the summer precipitation amounts certainly weren't lacking, but that's approaching 20 years ago at this point.

I'd also say that adding more snowmaking would be a mixed blessing. Yes, it would allow for more consistent conditions, but the minimal manmade in the mix in years past definitely skied better than a more mandmade-heavy base at somewhere like Sunday River or Killington (assuming there was enough to ski on). The multimillion-dollar question is what the climate trends will look like in the future; I don't know if warmer winters might be offset by more moisture coming off an unfrozen Lake Champlain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Definitely see your point about better snow quality.

My opinion on improved snowmaking is really a shared opinion from Burlington friends who have moved on from Epic or iKon to a more low key and locals place. They love it, but all moan a lot during low tide periods. I'd probably feel similar as a regular, but alas I ski there with Indy and try and pick my spots.

Abominable

Heading to BV for the first time next week, 7 year old in tow. Tentative plans to ski weds - sat. Hearing conditions are good with perhaps some more on the way. Looking forward to it. 7 year old is stoked for some tree skiing and natural snow which we've missed entirely this season.

kbroderick

Heading to BV for the first time next week, 7 year old in tow. Tentative plans to ski weds - sat. Hearing conditions are good with perhaps some more on the way. Looking forward to it. 7 year old is stoked for some tree skiing and natural snow which we've missed entirely this season.
BV has a ton of fun lower-angle terrain that should be awesome for a seven-year-old. I haven't been there in years, but the recent stuff I've seen on social media (from individuals as well as the ski area) suggests that plenty of the natural-snow terrain is fully in play, including some lower-angle woods. It's actually (IMO) one of the standout terrain offerings there; lots of places have steep glades, but Bolton has plenty that aren't so steep (as well as some that are).

jimmywilson69

animal-house-bluto.gif

kingslug

I think they may be the worst over reporters ever.
No way they have gotten as much as they have been saying.
Doesn't look at all like sb or Stowe who have reported less.

kbroderick

I think they may be the worst over reporters ever.
No way they have gotten as much as they have been saying.
Doesn't look at all like sb or Stowe who have reported less.
It's hugely variable on the hill. When I was there, they chronically underreported because patrol took measurements right next to the base area clinic, which often got reduced due to wind. If they're reporting based on a higher-elevation and wind-favored spot now, it could easily have swung the other way.

That said, the videos I've seen on Instagram look pretty consistent with the totals they're reporting, to the point where I wish I had time to go visit.

kingslug

I was their Monday poking around..
I just don't see it.
But..I'll be there when I get back .
Bought a season pass which I didn't use much. Spring skiing should be good.

abc

It did snow on Monday. Started in the afternoon. That’s why I was moaning about missing the last 1/2 hour. It had just accumulated enough to make a difference on how it skied.

kingslug

New to Bolton.
I do like the place , but didn't get much time there this season...as the 5 feet they kerp talking about was mostly frozen.
When things warm up I'll hit it.
Last year around Xmas it was very good...thus I bought a pass this year.

Abominable

Is it really gonna r&%n on us for three straight days? Such a kick in the gut, dammit.