• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 12/17/08

Edd

Date: 12/17/08

Resort: Sunday River

Conditions: 6 inches of fresh on top of scratch/ice

Best day at the River this season. Took nearly 4 hours to get there from seacoast NH due to road conditions so I missed first chair by nearly 30 minutes. They've got the construction mess at South Ridge cleaned up and the base area is looking good.

Started on lower Escapade and took lift 6. Skied from North Peak down lower Downdraft to lower American Express. Those Chondola towers have dramatically changed the feel of lower Downdraft. It feels narrower; I like it.

There was nobody there. You could find untracked all over. You could also find the scratch and some no bullshit ice under the powder but it skied fantastic mostly.

Took the Spruce lift up and headed down Sirius to Aurora Peak and hit Northern Lights where I started to remember how to ski powder again. Great run. Took the Aurora chair back up and headed for Jordan and skied Rogue Angel and Lollapalooza. Heading down Lolla I was flying but I snuck a glance over at the woods towards Blind Ambition and the ropes were up. I don't think SR's trees are ready yet anyway.

Another chair ride up Jordan and took Kansas to Aurora and skied Northern Lights again. On the way I noticed Tin Woodsman was open. I love that trail with enough snow but it looked a bit rough to me..ice was visible in a few spots.

Hit the Goggle for a couple of beers and headed for Barker and White Cap. Hit Cascades and headed for Obsession which was the trail of the day. Another ride up the White Cap chair and headed down upper Obsession and bailed back towards Cascades. As I was entering Cascades I noticed some skiers coming down so I stuck close to the trees on the right...where a snow snake bit me and I double ejected and landed flat on my chest right in front of those skiers. Where my body hit the snow I uncovered a giant patch of ice. I was unhurt and I got up acting cool and said "Watch out for that!" pointing at the snow towards I don't know what.

I little rattled I headed for the Barker chair and took a run down Right Stuff, where I realized my legs were starting to fail me. I swallowed my pride and skied past the Barker chair towards South Ridge. It was about 2pm. Tomorrow should be a great day.

WJenness

Sounds like a good day.

I'm glad you got out.

I wish I could head up.

Damned boss being on vacation (for four f'n weeks!!! wtf?) leaving me the only IT guy...

-w

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg

jealous of your pow.

As I was entering Cascades I noticed some skiers coming down so I stuck close to the trees on the right...where a snow snake bit me and I double ejected and landed flat on my chest right in front of those skiers. Where my body hit the snow I uncovered a giant patch of ice. I was unhurt and I got up acting cool and said "Watch out for that!" pointing at the snow towards I don't know what.

lmao.

Edd

Yeah, I had my camera with me but I was too lazy to take my mittens off. Tomorrow should be sunny so maybe I'll tack some pics to this thread.