• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry Skiing around NYC

MrZ123

So last weekend while skiing at Mt. Snow my buddy and we snowshoes up and skied down some unhit runs, was awesome!

I want to do some more of this around the NYC area, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions of abandoned resorts or trails within a few hours of the city that can be skinned or snowshoed and then skied down?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jisch

I know of some back country areas in Northern CT, its mostly trail systems/areas within State Parks and Forests rather than slopes per se, but still a ton of fun. A lot of it is tree skiing and some is skiing on trails we mountain bike when there's no snow. Depending on where in NYC you are, its probably too far for you (and conditions are RARELY very good). I think that's going to be your biggest challenge anywhere close to NYC - this year has been exceptional for back country skiing in CT. I've skiied more BC in the last month than I have in the last 5 years, no joke. There are a lot of opportunities up in the Adirondacks, but that's going to be quite a haul for you too.

Out of curiousity - the stuff you hit at Mt Snow - was it part of the ski area that was shut down or was it off property stuff?

ERJ-145CA

Apparently people have skiied at the Snow Bowl in Milton, NJ when there is actually natural snow on the ground. It's a NELSAP area. There is actually snow cover on the ground this year so it might be skiable. This link has info about "backcountry" skiing at Snow Bowl but the pictures are from 95/96 so I'd imagine it's a bit more overgrown now. Scroll about 1/3 of the way down:

http://www.skiernet.com/snow-bowl.html

MrZ123

Other suggestions for skiing within 2-3 hours of NYC where we can find unhit trails that can be skinned up?

MrZ123

Anthony's Nose, Mount Taurus/Bull Hill, Mount Beacon are all off Metro North stops. You need a good dump after the base is down. It's almost there now.

Hey Yardsale, could you please PM or Email me more info on these places (ie steepness, hike length, trail width/quality, etc.

Thanks

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Hey Yardsale, could you please PM or Email me more info on these places (ie steepness, hike length, trail width/quality, etc.

I'll do it here. You are on State land or Scenic Hudson land for all three so you are not trespassing.

North Beacon is actually a Nelsap area about a mile from the Beacon train station. http://www.slackpacker.com/dutchess.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon_Mountain

Bull Hill/Mount Taurus is a half mile walk from the Cold Spring station with a 1.25 mile hiking trail to the top with eroded carriage roads descending the north and south flanks that wrap back around to the village.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Hill

Anthony's nose is a short taxi ride from either Peekskill or Garrison train stations. Your best bet is to take the old carriage road from south mountain pass road. You are on the Appalachian trail for most of your way. Keep in mind you are adjacent to Camp Smith which has an active rifle range. Stay on trail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony%27s_Nose_(Westchester)

NYNJTC East Hudson Trail maps have all the info marked, and you should not attempt this without them.
http://www.nynjtc.org/pubs/maps/easthudson/index.html

MrZ123

Thanks for that info.

Are any of them steep to make for good downhill?

MrZ123

I am looking seriously at Bobcat.

Has anyone skied these areas recently. If so, do you have reports on skiing quality, steepness, trails, snow, etc?

TeleMac

Bobcat is sweet but

it is on private property and the owner does not welcome trespassers. Good people, but I gather it's a risk for which he lacks insurance.

TeleMac

Bobcat is sweet but

it is not open to the public. Too bad. You can ask, but you will probably be denied.

BeanoNYC

I've been eyeballing the old dump by Starret City off the belt parkway. They've capped it in the last few years and it's covered in grass now. Figure you can park over by Erskine avenue and hop the fence.

bigbog

the Catskills...so much private property....

it is on private property and the owner does not welcome trespassers. Good people, but I gather it's a risk for which he lacks insurance.
Always thought there was a lot of beautiful country in the Catskills, but yes...so much private ownership...always bummed me out. Loved to flyfish down there in the 60s/early-70s. Those mountains dropping right into the Hollows. What an area for bc if only to find public lands...

MrZ123

I've been eyeballing the old dump by Starret City off the belt parkway. They've capped it in the last few years and it's covered in grass now. Figure you can park over by Erskine avenue and hop the fence.

Think I'll pass on skiing on garbage, think it defeats the purpose of being in nature ;)

Any other suggestions on abandoned resorts with nice slopes?

MrZ123

This is an entire forum on NE skiing and noone skis backcountry at all!?

BeanoNYC

This is an entire forum on NE skiing and noone skis backcountry at all!?

Perhaps try a more general title rather than NYC specific. If it's not a well known spot don't expect many people to talk about it on the internet. Also...This is a great book that may help you out. I can dig it up and take a peek for you next time I go to my storage unit.