• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry and Side-country tips, tactics and locations. Where are you looking? Where are you going? or Where have you been?

MidnightJester

It seems the Brandon gap has one of the nicest access to multiple "ground cleared gladed and cut runs" that has a good support network (people around if you get in trouble). I am only picking up on these from some of the writings/posts I have found and a video or two.

Awesome video discussing Good backcountry areas by the people that wrote the Best backcountry book and built some of the GBA/RASTA zones

MidnightJester

Best Backcountry starting spot I know of in Vermont not counting your own hike and ride spots : )
BrandonGapmap2019-1024x663.jpg

MidnightJester

I would also say a great starting Backcountry-ish hike and ski or ride is the Birthday Bowls @ "Smugglers Notch mountain Pass". Park on the Smugglers side of the pass at the end of Route 108. Follow the road/trail on foot after the gate and a giant tree lined bowl awaits. You can also side-country lift access this bowl from smuggler notch resort.

Last edited:

SteezyYeeter

To name some areas that have good sidecountry, Sugarbush, Mad River, Stowe/Smuggs, Cannon, and Jay has great access to bc.

MidnightJester

Backcountry survival. You never want to but you should be able to do a few things. Having a lighter at least and a few good ideas is the best start.

Most Backcountry rescues if darkness or weather is out or coming on usually pause their rescues till the mornings if they know your locations do to safety . Next day rescues are more common then same day rescues I would think since friends and snow partners might not even alert people till the middle or end of the day.

Last edited:

skiur

Not difficult to warm up a cold lighter, but it is quite difficult to dry wet matches.