• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shane McConkey Memorial Site, The support site from family and friends.

skiadikt

i feel sorry for his wife and daughter. certainly a tragedy. he made huge contributions to the sport. but i think there's a point particularly when you have a family, that you back off the pedal a bit. the supporting his family thing doesn't wash. i'm sure he have would have maintained most of sponsorships if he had eased up. if you don't, then it's plain selfish. but yeah he made his choice and now his wife & daughter have to live with it.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Always loved this quote:

To fear death, my friends, is only to think ourselves wise, without being wise: for it is to think that we know what we do not know. For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest good that can happen to them: but they fear it as if they knew quite well that it was the greatest of evils. And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that we know what we do not know?
Socrates

dmc

Interesting...

I doubt he feared death... But I bet his kid wished he could live forever...

I plan on living forever... So far so good...

Warp Daddy

wow... I don't know how i feel about this...

At some point you have to stop the extreme risk so you can be around for the kids...

SPOT ON . I have sympathy for the family and it is no doubt a travesty for his child and wife. But he made a CHOICE to do this and i'm certain he had several other career options open to him . Choices have consequences and when teh stakes are very high often tragedy results from poor choice

I 'm not going to say a whole lot here since i discussed this at length last year on EPIC ski when another similar incident occurred .

These EXTREME sports need to be re thought to modify the risk /reward ratios .They are after all JUST an activity which IMHO add little or nothing of value to the advancement of mankind .but often influence kids to put themselves in life threatening situations for the supposed GLORY of being RAD .

Sorry i do not mean to offend ANYONE here just trying to put things in perspective

mondeo

i feel sorry for his wife and daughter. certainly a tragedy. he made huge contributions to the sport. but i think there's a point particularly when you have a family, that you back off the pedal a bit. the supporting his family thing doesn't wash. i'm sure he have would have maintained most of sponsorships if he had eased up. if you don't, then it's plain selfish. but yeah he made his choice and now his wife & daughter have to live with it.
How do people know he didn't ease up? How you know he didn't back off the difficulty or frequency of the jumps?

mondeo

the results speak for themselves
They do? It was a 12 second freefall. That's 50% longer than the freefall from the New River Gorge, which somewhere around 9000 have jumped with only 3 fatalities; the causes of two of these have been addressed, leaving the rate under current standards at 1 in 9000. Outside the issue with releasing skis, it's a safe jump. If anything, he failed to account for the risk of the skis not releasing. That's just a mistake, unfortunate in this case, but not a blatant disregard for risk. I know I've never had a binding refuse to release, despite stepping in and out hundreds of times.

He died because his bindings didn't release. Not because he did too short a jump, jumped too close to an obstacle, or waited too long to open his chute. It was equipment failure. So does anyone that works somewhere that a single instance of equipment failure could kill take on undue risk?

I don't understand why people are so fixated on saying he was wrong. You don't know if he had conversations with his wife about if he would change what he was doing after having a child. You don't know if his jumps changed. There are so many unknowns here. Are any of you perfect parents?

dmc

I don't understand why people are so fixated on saying he was wrong. You don't know if he had conversations with his wife about if he would change what he was doing after having a child. You don't know if his jumps changed. There are so many unknowns here. Are any of you perfect parents?

I don't know why your fixated on saying he's right?

The fact is... A kid lost her dad... And it's sad... And tragic... And many of us believe he made a wrong choice..

I don't know where I'd be without my Dad... I love him... He made me what i am today..

Warp Daddy

They do? It was a 12 second freefall. That's 50% longer than the freefall from the New River Gorge, which somewhere around 9000 have jumped with only 3 fatalities; the causes of two of these have been addressed, leaving the rate under current standards at 1 in 9000. Outside the issue with releasing skis, it's a safe jump. If anything, he failed to account for the risk of the skis not releasing. That's just a mistake, unfortunate in this case, but not a blatant disregard for risk. I know I've never had a binding refuse to release, despite stepping in and out hundreds of times.

He died because his bindings didn't release. Not because he did too short a jump, jumped too close to an obstacle, or waited too long to open his chute. It was equipment failure. So does anyone that works somewhere that a single instance of equipment failure could kill take on undue risk?

Perfection has nothing to do with it - if one exposes themselves to high risk behavior there are consequences that can be tragic . end of story Moth to Flame syndrome

powbmps

wondering... Why couldn't he open his chute with his skis still on?

One ski was off. It sounds like there is a good chance the other could get tangled in the chute. From the reports he got the second ski off, got into the correct position and immediately hit the ground. Maybe he thought he had more time.

He was a good guy who inspired a lot of people. Shitty situation all around.

skiadikt

wondering... Why couldn't he open his chute with his skis still on?

he had only 12 sec. not much time. also reaching down towards his bindings put him into a spin/ tumble/ unstable falling style. if you're upside down releasing the parachute will more than likely cause it to be become tangled with the skis.