The carnage thread - Page 17

AlpineZone

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    That's a real kick in the pants! I hope it heals up soon! Don't rush it though, it sucks enough to impact the biking season, I don't think you want it to impact skiing too...
    Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    Damn dude, take it easy so you can ski this winter!
    Thanks guys. I have begun to enjoy MTB season almost as much as ski (but not quite) and it is a total downer that I can't enjoy my favorite time to ride. Keeping happy thoughts that I will get good news and that I'll be able to ski in the next month.

Quote Originally Posted by legalskier View Post
    I feel kinda bad for the guy, but it still makes me laugh every time I see it.
    Brian

^ For this type of fall helmets provide limited effectiveness.

If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Quote Originally Posted by legalskier View Post
    ^ For this type of fall helmets provide limited effectiveness.

Unless you have a DH helmet with a chinguard
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Rear Derailleur hanger snapped during todays ride. I felt the stick hit it and the next thing I knew, shifting was done. Also took a nice spill coming into a corner.

Oh, and my freewheel on the road bike is being replaced under warranty. It randomly started knocking so loud that I thought a spoke had popped out.

Sounds like a rough stretch BackLoaf! Did the derailleur itself get screwed up too, or just the hanger? I always carry an extra hanger in my pack, just in case. I've only had to use it once though...

I've had my fair share of freehub issues though! The last few times they got all jammed up, turning the bike into a fixie...
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Sounds like a rough stretch BackLoaf! Did the derailleur itself get screwed up too, or just the hanger? I always carry an extra hanger in my pack, just in case. I've only had to use it once though...
    The derailleur cage snapped on the inside. It was quite impressive really. Apparently Shimano doesn't make a replacement cage for more recent XT's?!? I thought you could replace it but...not so much.

If it was only the hager I would have been in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    The derailleur cage snapped on the inside. It was quite impressive really. Apparently Shimano doesn't make a replacement cage for more recent XT's?!? I thought you could replace it but...not so much.

If it was only the hager I would have been in good shape.
    Bummer! Personally I wouldn't want to try to replace the pieces of a derailleur that went through something like that. It's too hard to tell if something else might have gotten slightly bent. Get a replacement and you'll be good to go. Maybe switch to a SLX to save a few bucks, I doubt you'll notice any difference...
    Brian

MTBing in dryish side of the Cascades. Pipestone canyon rim. Aluminum hardtail. My chain grabbed a quarter inch thick sage brush twig. Then my spokes tried to fight the chain for it. Things were mildly mangled and I was inexperienced so I manually manipulated the derailleur into a pleasant gear and tried to bike out. Ooops, I think the dropout was tweaked, and finishing the ride up the bottom of the canyon, my derailleur was pulled into my spokes.

Results: Decimated derailleur
    Pretzel art hanger
    Destroyed chain
    I think even the dropout was tweaked, and still is.

No broken spokes
    Wheel stayed true enough for a MTB

DeRailed2.jpg

Who carries a spare chain???????

Thread Information