• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New here! I need ski help!

enjoi744

Im looking for a good racing ski. Im on the racing team for my highschool and don't know what a good ski would be. I went to the ski shop and the guy there showed me a pair of nordica speedmachine14's(last years) for $350 would those be good? can any one give me some suggestions? Some people told me to get volkls. help. please.

thanks.

edit:: http://www.geardirect.com/Products/Ski/Skis/Geardirectcom/DemoSkis-LastYearsTopModels/3483.cfm
i was checking that out... would anything from there be good? i have about 350 to spend

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
what type of racing are you doing? most manufactueres produce both a SL and GS racing ski. i would guess high school level would be a modified nastar course. could go either way depending on your local hill and how the course gets set.

different people will swear by different skis. just look at the pros and how many different folks are on different skis. sure, atmoic gives skis away to the top racers and their techs too so it looks like the best of the best only use atmoics, but there are plenty of other racers skiing on skis from all the major companies.

doesn't sound like you have the time or resources to demo. t'would be best if you go get out to a demo day and ask each ski company for their best race ski in either SL or GS depending upon your preference and/or needs. all that said, i swear by volkl for hard pack and would want nothing less if i was racing again. sadly, i never got onto volkl until after i quit racing. the p60's on that site look good at $199 w/binding. but those are used and you could likely find something new for the same price on ebay if you waited long enough and/or got lucky.

but don't take my advice without scepticism. like i said, so many different people swear by so many different brands and almost everyone is going to tell you the ski they like the best will be the one that will make you go the fastest in the best control.

might i ask what you currently ski on?

enjoi744

well uptil now ive been renting skis and this year i decided to join the ski team and purchase my own skis

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
well, that puts things in a different perspective. depending on your current ability, a true race ski might be "too much ski for you" as they say. i really couldn't offer any specific advice without knowing your ability, but if you aren't up to task, a real race ski can kick your butt. perhaps you should ask your coach?

RossiSkier

Well $350.00's not a very large budget for a set of race skis. You may have to take what you can get.

enjoi744

i found volkl 5 stars from last year that were demoed..... how do u think these would be?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
a ripper for sure. more forgiving than the 6 star which could kick your butt if you don't dominate it. 5 star is still a lot of ski and demands good technique and solid imput. carving and speed very rewarding for good technique. not quite a race ski though, the supersport, in my opinion, is a line best suited to the ex-racer that still loves to rip up the mountain but wants something a little more dynamic than a full blown race ski.

RossiSkier

enjoi744 said:
i found volkl 5 stars from last year that were demoed..... how do u think these would be?

These are high performance skis, very popular, and VERY expensive. If you can get a good pair with bindings for $350, jump on it.

enjoi744

i thought id post it up here.... i ended up getting volkl 5 stars first they were $500 i talked the guy down to $350 and then the lady at the register rang it up for $250!! also what do you guys think about the scott element 5 poles.... and technica rival xs boots(from a year or 2 ago)?

highpeaksdrifter

enjoi, gear manufactures give racers discounts, you just need the right form. Ask your coach about it. I don't think you mentioned the Mt. where you train. All ski areas have gear reps that can help you out with price as long as you are a legit racer. Again your couch should have this info.

Getting on your schools race team is very cool. It doesn't sound like you're getting too much guidence from your coach which is a shame on him/her.

freestyle-skibum

yea isnt that funny, y do all racers get discounts, where as freestyle skiers like my self get the image as punks...strange how that works out...

enjoi744

i actually did get a discount because of my school .... what do u think about the poles and boots i mentioned in the post above?

highpeaksdrifter

freestyle-skibum said:
yea isnt that funny, y do all racers get discounts, where as freestyle skiers like my self get the image as punks...strange how that works out...

Most mountains now have junior free-style teams. I know at Whiteface it gets bigger every year. If you compete in free style you can seek sponsorship from different manufactures as well as ski shops. You just have to do the work. If you're looking for a discount to hang around the terrain park...well good luck with that.

There are lots of ways to get discounts on gear and passes, you have to take the innitive.

RossiSkier

freestyle-skibum said:

Maybe if there were freestyle teams. The racers come in big packs and usually buy new stuff every year.

Don't think freestyler's are punks. I dig the twintips and enjoy watching the tricksters do their thing. Think because the New School revolution is so new, there's not a lot of old timers doing it.

dmo

The Rival is a pretty soft boot. It'll drive your 5-stars well enough, but if you're thinking you'll be investing in a true race ski over the next couple of seasons, you may want to go with a more diesel (stiffer) boot.

But then again, as Rivercoil was saying, all depends on your preferences and ability. Still, it's probably a safe assumption that the Rival will be a softer boot than what most of your teammates are using.