• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another reason not to ski today

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
That is sad that there were fatalities. As for the tickets for going off the road... what exactly is the offense?

Read this. It's amazing what you could get ticketed for.
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullchapter.cfm?Title=23&Chapter=025

Well, depends what they pick. If I was to guess:
(V) § 1053. Failure to exercise due care;
(II) § 1083. Special speed limitations;
(B) § 1091. Negligent operation;

Gee, the more I read, it appears I could potentially be guilty of a dozen of these things.

Begs some questions:
(A) § 1033. Illegal passing on the left;
(B) § 1034. Illegal passing on the right;
Hmm.

What's the diff:

(E) § 1039. Following too closely;
(PP) § 1116. Clinging to other vehicles; like throwing a lifeline???

(SS) § 1119. Improper opening and closing vehicle doors;
Nobody every told me there was a right and a wrong way. Maybe this applies to "dooring" a bicyclist?

(KK) § 1093. Smokescreen device;
Never knew about this one either.

(BB) § 1065. Improper use of hand signals;
I'll bet this one gets a lot of use

Enough!

Glenn

They're trying to keep the road salt from contaminating the groundwater. This goes in cycles. Right now, they're using the least sat possible. After some spectacular deaths, they'll go back to bombing the roads with stunning amounts of salt.

It's a noble thought...but people should not be paying with their lives.

Geoff

Negligent operation is a pretty major traffic citation. In Vermont, it's an automatic 30 day license suspension. 10 points on your license. $300 fine plus a $65.00 surcharge. Another $75 to get your license back. A real revenue generator.

That's what Tiger Woods got in Florida for crashing his SUV into a tree.

bvibert

Staff member

Gee, the more I read, it appears I could potentially be guilty of a dozen of these things.

Begs some questions:

I've gotten a ticket for "Failure to drive right" in CT when I slid off the left hand side of the road in wet conditions as a teenager.

I've been guilty of this one as well (but never got caught), I wonder if there's a specific law about it in CT??

I sure did some stupid things as a teenager. :lol:

ctenidae

Man, they're tough in VT. 2 points for these:
§ 1038. Driving on roadways laned for traffic;
§ 1059. Driving through safety zone;
§ 1095. Operating with television set installed;

Marc needs to stay out of VT- § 1127. Unsafe control in presence of horses and cattle, since he's totally out of control around livestock.

jrmagic

Begs some questions:
Hmm.

What's the diff:

(E) § 1039. Following too closely;
(PP) § 1116. Clinging to other vehicles; like throwing a lifeline???

(SS) § 1119. Improper opening and closing vehicle doors;
Nobody every told me there was a right and a wrong way. Maybe this applies to "dooring" a bicyclist?

(BB) § 1065. Improper use of hand signals;
I'll bet this one gets a lot of use

Enough!

lol I guess I have been guilty of a number of those over the years too.

As far as actually getting tickets in VT I've managed a few good speeding tickets and then I got one when the VT trooper accused me of trying to knock him off the road:-o

Geoff

Man, they're tough in VT. 2 points for these:
§ 1038. Driving on roadways laned for traffic;
§ 1059. Driving through safety zone;
§ 1095. Operating with television set installed;

Marc needs to stay out of VT- § 1127. Unsafe control in presence of horses and cattle, since he's totally out of control around livestock.

One useful thing about Vermont is that speeding tickets on the interstate highways are only 2 points unless you're going so fast that they cite you for reckless driving or negligent operation.

On the secondary roads, it's really easy to rack up the points with all the speed traps in the hick towns. 60 mph in a 40 zone (20 over) is 5 points. It's really easy to do that unintentionally. Route 4 from Pico down the pass to Killington, you have to nail your brakes to get it to 40 mph and a state cop car sits there all the time. The 40 mph zone in front of the Long Trail Brewery on Route 4 is another sucker trap. Two of those tickets and you're a pedestrian for a while.

Geoff

People could pay with their lives due to contaminated groundwater, too. Albeit a longer, slower, less outwardly violent death.

I know people who have road salt contamination in their wells. Nobody dies from it. You dig an artesian well, typically funded by the state, and get on with your life.

Glenn

One useful thing about Vermont is that speeding tickets on the interstate highways are only 2 points unless you're going so fast that they cite you for reckless driving or negligent operation.

On the secondary roads, it's really easy to rack up the points with all the speed traps in the hick towns. 60 mph in a 40 zone (20 over) is 5 points. It's really easy to do that unintentionally. Route 4 from Pico down the pass to Killington, you have to nail your brakes to get it to 40 mph and a state cop car sits there all the time. The 40 mph zone in front of the Long Trail Brewery on Route 4 is another sucker trap. Two of those tickets and you're a pedestrian for a while.

So that dude I read about in the Deerfield Valley News a few months ago..who was bagged doing 100+ mph on Route 100...he probably got a few points? ;-)

Glenn

At that point, points don't matter.

I had to read the article twice to make sure I read it right. I've driven Rt100 end to end a number of times. I can't figure out how any one in their right mind could find one stretch of that road where those speeds were "safe". Eek!

witch hobble

I know people who have road salt contamination in their wells. Nobody dies from it. You dig an artesian well, typically funded by the state, and get on with your life.

I was drinking while posting last night, not looking for arguments. But your reply assumes that people know about their contamination and act upon that knowledge. Sodium-> Hypertension -> lots of possible health complications -> death?

Geoff

I had to read the article twice to make sure I read it right. I've driven Rt100 end to end a number of times. I can't figure out how any one in their right mind could find one stretch of that road where those speeds were "safe". Eek!

112 mph in a 50 mph zone. He has a court date in Bennington in two weeks because he didn't pay his fine.

Tuesday, Feb. 9 State vs. Stred, Brent
at 11:45 AM in Room d 1331-12-09 Bncr/Criminal
Show Cause for Failure to Pay Fine
Atty(s): Robert F. Plunkett

Glenn

112 mph in a 50 mph zone. He has a court date in Bennington in two weeks because he didn't pay his fine.

Tuesday, Feb. 9 State vs. Stred, Brent
at 11:45 AM in Room d 1331-12-09 Bncr/Criminal
Show Cause for Failure to Pay Fine
Atty(s): Robert F. Plunkett

Nice detective work Geoff! :beer:

jrmagic

I was drinking while posting last night, not looking for arguments. But your reply assumes that people know about their contamination and act upon that knowledge. Sodium-> Hypertension -> lots of possible health complications -> death?

Wow I site I moderate thrives on arguing while PWI:lol:

Your reply assumes that those that dont know need to drink an awful lot of water to ingest that much sodium sicne I woudl ASSume that it doesnt taste like the ocean to them.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The section of Interstate 89 where a fiery three-vehicle crash Monday left two dead had been heavily salted three hours earlier and was deemed ice-free by highway workers shortly before the accident, a Transportation Agency spokesman said Tuesday.

Geoff

Nice detective work Geoff! :beer:

I was curious what he was charged with. The newspaper said "Excessive Speed". That's +30 over the limit. I was surprised it wasn't more than that which is why I dug into the court records. I believe it's a $300 fine plus a $65 surcharge. There must also be a whopper speeding ticket.

I figure the guy will no-show the court date. Vermont will have a warrant out for his arrest if he ever sets foot in Vermont and will notify Massachusetts to suspend his Mass license. I had that happen in Rhode Island for not paying a speeding ticket where they chased me down 10 years later. I had to drive to some courthouse in Rhode Island and sit there until my case was called so I could plead guilty and pay the ancient ticket.