• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain turning into snow at some resorts - Skiing this weekend

ftrain

Website
www.core6.com
Trying to track the weather to figure out who is getting more snow then rain. My cousin is heading up from Long Island today to go skiing with me this weekend. I live near Manchester, NH and have a few options. Cannon, Wildcat, Ragged, Sunapee (never been). I think Crotched, Pats, and Waaachuset are too small and Loon, Waterville, and Snow are crowded to bring my cousin who only skis a few times a year. He is a solid blue level skiier.

Went to Jay Peak last weekend and it was great. There snow report today says they willhave 6" of new snow Saturday morning. ahhh tempting by the 3 hour drive they are not gettign here till 12 tonight.

So what is your vote?

hammer

My vote would be for Sunapee, but based on what others have said, if you are a solid skier you may not be too challenged there. It will be crowded there this weekend, though.

Another possibility would be Burke...I've never been there, but it appears to be a favorite amongst a lot of the people on this forum.

meat

mattchuck2 said:
Go to Jay . . . the further north you go, the better chance of having some snow

it flipped over to snow at my house around 11:15 (1400'). when not to long ago a gust came through and dropped the temp from 45 to 35 in 10 minutes with heavy rain to sleet to snow in that time frame, now its just really windy with flurries. it got really warm and windy last night and now their are only patches of snow in my south facing yard, the grass even looks sort of green :angry: Jay has a ton more snow though, and they are probably getting all snow for here on out, I hope it snows cuz this weekend could be brutal with boilerplate conditions and dangerous wind chills. I'd settle for powder and dangerous wind chills though, lets hope for the best.

meat

mattchuck2 said:

it flipped over to snow at my house around 11:15 (1400'). when not to long ago a gust came through and dropped the temp from 45 to 35 in 10 minutes with heavy rain to sleet to snow in that time frame, now its just really windy with flurries. it got really warm and windy last night and now their are only patches of snow in my south facing yard, the grass even looks sort of green :angry: Jay has a ton more snow though, and they are probably getting all snow for here on out, I hope it snows cuz this weekend could be brutal with boilerplate conditions and dangerous wind chills. I'd settle for powder and dangerous wind chills though, lets hope for the best.

thetrailboss

Staff member
mattchuck2 said:

But wind is a huge factor this weekend, so that takes out Jay.

ftrain

Website
www.core6.com
Skiied Sunappe and Okemo. It was good for them. The wind was a bit extreme at time. Sunday my nose turned white. Had to go inside to get the color back.