• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hell Brook or Long on Mansfield

pennst51

I was wondering if anyone has done or has a opinion on the Hell Brook trail on Mansfield? I have head that the Long to Profanity is a good tough trail from alot of hikers but I haven't heard anything on Hell Brook. So what I am getting at is what trail should we take? I also hear Hell Brook doesn't get much of a crowd, big plus.
Matt

Mike P.

There is a thread over at Views From the Top Currently which is asking people for the toughest trails in New England. New people have mentioned Hell Brook as being tough. I know both of them by reputation only I know people who have hiked with them.

If it's being considered as by some in the same breath as Huntington, King Ravine, Cathedral on Katahdin, 6H & the Great Gulf, there is a good reason why it does not see crowds.

I've been up to Mansfield's summit three times & once more up to the ridge but all four times have been from Underhill State Park. A few different trails I do like ascending Sunset Ridge.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
It's not a tough hike, but Sunset Ridge is probably the most beautiful way to climb Mt. Mansfield. After a mile or so (I don't remember for sure) there's a side to trail to Cantilever Rock, definitely worth a visit, then it opens up onto wide ledges and is above treeline for the rest of the way. If scenery and vistas are what you're after, the western views from the ridge out across Champlain to the ADK's can't be beat. (okay, I was in the clouds when I did the hike, but I'm told about it!) :)

Mike P.

Now to fix my typo.

That is TWO people not NEW people, & the two people are seasoned hikers, if they are considering it tough, it does not resemble a rail trail.

I agree with Michael, Cantilever Rock is a very short diversion off of Sunset Ridge. On a clear day descending it is probably better so you can keep looking at the view instead of turning around. Next time I'm going to do the whole ridge instead of descending 1/2way house. (I had picked 1/2Way as it was my first hike on Mansfield back in 1992)

skibum1321

Hell Brook is the steepest trail up Mansfield and is a relatively short but arduous trail. There is a lot of scrambling up rock faces and some very steep hiking. I would definitely not recommend using it as a downhill route. One of my guidebooks says that it is the hardest trail in VT and I probably wouldn't argue that claim. It is one of my favorite routes up Mansfield, however, and never really has more than a few other hikers. The loop that I usually do is Hell Brook up and then Profanity and LT down. The LT and Hell Brook trailheads are about a mile apart and I would recommend parking at the LT trailhead since you will not want to walk that mile after the hike and it gives you a nice little warm-up.

Mike P.

Thanks skibum1321 for providing first hand info.