• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driving techniques w snow tires to save tread?

jaywbigred

Ok, tonight my mechanic is mounting & balancing my new snow tires on the extra wheels I bought on Craigslist, and putting them on the Pathfinder.

I have never driven with snow tires before. Is there anything I need to know? Is there anything special I should avoid doing to preserve tread? Does it matter, tread wise, that the Pathfinder is generally in rear wheel drive when the conditions are dry?

Geoff

The more mellow you can drive, the longer your tires will last. If you do a lot of highway driving, off ramps will cause most of your tread wear if you tend to go into them hot.

mondeo

When it's snowing, while approaching a turn, gently steer away from the turn, immediately followed by steering into the turn while lifting off the gas and braking slightly. Once the car breaks loose, apply a dab of oppo while controling turn radius with the throttle. Towards corner exit, the car should be going in about the correct direction, straighten up the steering and ease of the throttle.

This method has given me the longest life with snows.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I try to take them off as soon as is reasonable in the spring to save them, improve mileage and reduce noise.

One thing my wife always forgets, is that because of the softer rubber, they sometimes will squeal on tight turns, such as in a parking garage.

mondeo

I try to take them off as soon as is reasonable in the spring to save them, improve mileage and reduce noise.

One thing my wife always forgets, is that because of the softer rubber, they sometimes will squeal on tight turns, such as in a parking garage.
Not the rubber's fault, it's the sipes. Less tread stability=more squeeling.

bigbog

Try braking gradually(as said) before you turn the steering wheel...once the turn has been started ease off the brake pedal....as much a glide as reasonably possible. Think mondeo was eluding to this...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
When it's snowing, while approaching a turn, gently steer away from the turn, immediately followed by steering into the turn while lifting off the gas and braking slightly. Once the car breaks loose, apply a dab of oppo while controling turn radius with the throttle. Towards corner exit, the car should be going in about the correct direction, straighten up the steering and ease of the throttle.

This method has given me the longest life with snows.

Kind of like this...

darent

emergency avoidence procedure in snow or ice-- lock up wheels,turn steering wheel in direction you want to go, take foot off brake, this move is done in a rapid sequence as many times as needed, works on black ice. it is a procedure that will work with antilock brakes also. take care in deeper snow, one time maybe enough to jump front of car to direction desired. this is best practiced in a snowy parking lot to get the feel of this procedure

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I find snow tires tend to feel a little "softer" when cornering hard. So I just go slower into corners that I might normally be accelerating into. I guess they can feel a little bit more "floaty" in the wheel for lack of better wording? The softer material is definitely much less precise, I guess you could say.

mondeo

I find snow tires tend to feel a little "softer" when cornering hard. So I just go slower into corners that I might normally be accelerating into. I guess they can feel a little bit more "floaty" in the wheel for lack of better wording? The softer material is definitely much less precise, I guess you could say.
Sipes, sipes, sipes. It's not the rubber, it's that the tread design itself is less stiff. Which makes it squirm.

A bald winter tire won't feel that much different than a bald summer tire; if anything, it'll have better grip when bald.

bvibert

Staff member
Sipes, sipes, sipes. It's not the rubber, it's that the tread design itself is less stiff. Which makes it squirm.

A bald winter tire won't feel that much different than a bald summer tire; if anything, it'll have better grip when bald.

Why are you so insistent that snow tires couldn't possibly have different rubber compounds? Are you saying that all tires are made up of exactly the same kind rubber and that only the tread design differs??