Cannon Mountain...thoughts - Page 97

AlpineZone

Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast
    Ive heard Cannon has some great backcountry/unmarked , anyone have any beta on that they are willing to offer? Someone told me there was a way to ski the kinsmen ridge trail to an open treeless face that dumps you out in the lot. I also heard there were some good chutes off the saddle and something called south bowl on the backside. Anyone know about these spots? Dm me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeRyan View Post
    Ive heard Cannon has some great backcountry/unmarked , anyone have any beta on that they are willing to offer? Someone told me there was a way to ski the kinsmen ridge trail to an open treeless face that dumps you out in the lot. I also heard there were some good chutes off the saddle and something called south bowl on the backside. Anyone know about these spots? Dm me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Shit already gets tracked out way too fast to send anyone else. So NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeRyan View Post
    SKI Magazine actually did a semi thorough expose on Cannon's sidecountry in one of their issues last winter.

You can figure out a lot of it by searching YouTube for "Cannon backcountry" and similar terms.

Anyone been to Cannon since last Friday's rain disaster? Thinking about heading up Friday or Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Anyone been to Cannon since last Friday's rain disaster? Thinking about heading up Friday or Saturday.
    I was there yesterday and it wasn't bad. They were blowing snow, and had actually done a decent job grooming. I was with my 4-year-old, so we stuck to blue trails only, but it was a great day of skiing. There was only 1 spot on just below the Cannonball lift on Middle Ravine that was terrible.

That said, there was no one there yesterday. If it had been a weekend day it would have all been skied off by 11am. They are continuing to blow snow to resurface, and they should be getting a few inches from mother nature today, so here's hoping the weekend is decent!

Cannon is actually way better than I thought it was going to be after that rain event.As to the south bowl area,We would need a lot of snow to ski that.It dumps you down by Lafayette campground so you would need transportation back.You basically head off to the farthest skiers right from the top and aim towards 93 south.Total unmarked bushwacking.You need somebody to show you and even then its a real crapshoot even with big snow.You can see the South Bowl open exposure when headed north.It faces southeast before you get to the Cannon Cliffs.Very rarely skied.
    SIKSKIER

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    You basically head off to the farthest skiers right from the top and aim towards 93 south.Total unmarked bushwacking.
    If you find yourself hurtling through the air over a 200' cliff, you have gone too close to 93 South and should have gone a little more due south.

This is South Bowl.The only reason I would show this on the internet is show how remote and forbidding this area is.Not for the casual skier but for somebody that has prepared for much bushwacking and route finding.Also,if you view on GE zoom in and see how much talus/scree rocks are in there to show how much snow is needed to fill it in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SIKSKIER

South Bowl is one thing but there's plenty of stuff that takes you back to the lift.

Search "Bear Guy" on YT ... also keep an eye out coming down the Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    South Bowl is one thing but there's plenty of stuff that takes you back to the lift.

Search "Bear Guy" on YT ... also keep an eye out coming down the Saddle
    Bear Gut
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Thread Information