• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

cam newton??

skime

wow....numero uno? has this industry ever seen anything like this fellow? it was some year to watch college football....this kid is an elite athlete with a mind....i hear goldman sachs has offered him a yab....:daffy::razz:

drjeff

I bet that he'll be on a team this year that has more losses than Auburn had wins last year

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pat's taking a monster O line guy with their first pick. With the uncertainty on the left side of the line for next season, whenever it maybe, I was hoping for OL to be a top priority.

drjeff

Classic Patriots move: Trade their #28 pick for the New Orleans #2 and next year's #1

And then next year they'll trade that N.O. #1 to another team for an additional #1 in 2013 :lol:

One of these years they actually might draft a bunch of players. But you can't really argue with their draft day strategies and results the past decade plus.

deadheadskier

Staff member
And then next year they'll trade that N.O. #1 to another team for an additional #1 in 2013 :lol:

One of these years they actually might draft a bunch of players. But you can't really argue with their draft day strategies and results the past decade plus.

Belichik is the master at positioning the Pats well in drafts despite always having a good season record.

However, he does swing and miss A LOT on who they actually select. Last year was obviously a great draft for them. The four years prior to that? Really the only excellent selections IMO have been Mayo, Chung, Volmer and Gostkowski. I suppose you could make an argument for Merriweather, but he rode pine much of last year and was a ridiculous Probowl pick.

We'll see how they do in the 2nd round. The team needs a RB and passed up on the consensus #1 back in the draft at a 1st round position that wouldn't cost them a ton of money to sign. If Ingram turns out to be a solid running back, then it was a bad move considering it was a position of need.

drjeff

Belichik is the master at positioning the Pats well in drafts despite always having a good season record.

However, he does swing and miss A LOT on who they actually select. Last year was obviously a great draft for them. The four years prior to that? Really the only excellent selections IMO have been Mayo, Chung, Volmer and Gostkowski. I suppose you could make an argument for Merriweather, but he rode pine much of last year and was a ridiculous Probowl pick.

We'll see how they do in the 2nd round. The team needs a RB and passed up on the consensus #1 back in the draft at a 1st round position that wouldn't cost them a ton of money to sign. If Ingram turns out to be a solid running back, then it was a bad move considering it was a position of need.

An RB wouldn't be a bad thing. My hunch is though that the Pats will more than likely follow tradition and draft some more defensive players, and if they happened to be a speedy pass rushing linebacker or another DB, I wouldn't mind that too much either. While they have gotten quicker the last few years, they still, atleast to my eyes, have a defense that seems a step or 2 slower than those of many other NFL teams these days

ChileMass

An RB wouldn't be a bad thing. My hunch is though that the Pats will more than likely follow tradition and draft some more defensive players, and if they happened to be a speedy pass rushing linebacker or another DB, I wouldn't mind that too much either. While they have gotten quicker the last few years, they still, atleast to my eyes, have a defense that seems a step or 2 slower than those of many other NFL teams these days

If the young kids on the D side can keep progressing (Chung, McCourty, Spikes, Cunningham, Brace, etc) and Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden come back healthy, that will allow Bill to focus on the O side.

I kinda wish they had chosen Pouncey (center/guard from Florida). The O line guy I am most concerned about backing up/replacing is actually Dan Koppen, and we need insurance in case Mankins decides to leave. Koppen has taken a lot of punishment over a long time and I don't see another solid center on the roster. Plus, Pouncey's brother is the monster center with Pittsburgh who was All-Pro as a rookie last year (even though he got hurt for the playoffs), so he's got the pedigree. And - I'm bummed Pouncey went to Miami, so now he'll be in Vince Wilfork's face twice a year.

Surprised they didn't take that Castonzo kid from BC. He was rated ahead of Solder for physical skills, but Bill likes attitude guys, and Solder was at the top of the list for that. All in all, I'm OK with the choice. Solder is 6'8" and he and Vollmer will block out the sun from the tackle positions. They could play together for a lot of years if they stay healthy.

2nd round you know Bill will go for an outside rush guy amd more O line help. If they go for a RB, I'll be surprised. Bill gives you the impression that he feels you can get those guys anywhere.

Uh, yeah - I follow the draft a bit.......Go Pats, baby.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
That Pats have done well with fringe backs. I like Woodhead, but he's a 3rd down back. I like Green Ellis, but he's a short yardage situational back. I think the best Patriots offense in the past ten years was not the 18-1 season, but 2004 when Corey Dillon arrived.

ChileMass

That Pats have done well with fringe backs. I like Woodhead, but he's a 3rd down back. I like Green Ellis, but he's a short yardage situational back. I think the best Patriots offense in the past ten years was not the 18-1 season, but 2004 when Corey Dillon arrived.

I agree about Green-Ellis. He had a nice season last year, but is he the answer long-term? And you're right about Woodhead, too. He's great, but he takes Kevin Faulk's job and that's it. I think Bill will be able to find somebody off the scrap heap or find a RB in the 6-7th round like they've done before. They just rotate fresh RBs out there every other play, anyway.

The kid LBs should step up another level this year, but Bill always wants backups for his backups, so it would not surprise me at all to see them take a speed rusher in round 2.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would be nice to have a better pass rush. Seems like we've been saying that since Willie McGinest left town :lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member
IMO terrible draft. Outside of left tackle, the Patriots didn't address any of their primary needs. Both Running Backs picked were projected as 4th or 5th rounders in numerous publications. The CB could be good, but with Leigh Bodden coming back, I don't know why they didn't take Akeem Ayers with that pick.

Mallet could be a nice replacement for Brady someday. However, the window to win with Brady is shrinking fast. I'd have rather a pick be made on someone who can contribute NOW.

Pats better do well if and when there is a free agent market. I don't think they've helped themselves much this week.

ChileMass

OK - Belichick completely fooled me with this one. Almost all offense guys? A tight end??? Who are these RBs? The kid from Cal looks interesting, but.......The QB is fine, someday we'll have to replace Brady and that kid Mallett is a monster (just under 6-foot-7), but where's the big-time outside rusher? Is the kid from Central Arkansas the answer (Central Arkansas??)?? Maybe there's DE/OLB help available in the free agent pool......?

Hopefully this draft is more like the last couple and less like the Chad Johnson draft......

In Bill I trust.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
IMO

last years draft was the first great one the Patriots have had since 2005. 2006 - 2009 the only picks that have become elite players are Mayo and Goskowski. Despite the Pro Bowl selections, I don't view Merriweather as elite. Most overrated DB in the league.

We'll see.

jack97

It would be nice to have a better pass rush. Seems like we've been saying that since Willie McGinest left town :lol:

I think fans have to realize a couple of factors....

Willie McGinest was the 4th pick from his draft. He played in an era and with a coaching staff where the hybrid/elephant was most effective.

BTW, only time Belichick had such a high draft choice, top ten, iirc he took Seymour which wasn't that bad at all.

Presently, the refs enforced the 5 yard chuck rule..... meaning that hybrid will be expose to mismatches with the TE or the RB. Ironically, I think enforcement of that rule was in part the result of the SB where Willie was beating up on Marshall Faulk well beyond the 5 yard line :) .....

What Belichick and the rest of defensive coaches in the league has to do is figure out how to avoid these mismatches.... that's why he took DBs for the last three years. Sexy Rexy last year took a DB in the 1st round as well and the Jets had a very good D without that pass rusher. Makes me thinks DE or OLB will be redefine during this era.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
well, last time I watch the Patriots, I watched Brady get the crap kicked out of him. While the Jets don't have a superstar sack machine, they did have a FAR better pass rush than New England. Lack of pass rush is why New England was TERRIBLE getting off the field on 3rd down.

Like I said, hope I'm wrong, but I thought New England had an AWFUL draft. Pretty much every publication I've read rated New England's draft one of if not the worst in the league. So, I know I'm not alone in my perception.

jack97

hmm.... media sources said Logans was a reach as well as McCourtney (sp?). The latter went to a pro bowl as a rookie and maybe at a level like Revis.

Rex has been getting by with coverage sacks with his dbs. He is confusing Brady along with the porous O line the pats have, Brady is getting killed. IMO, the O line cost him and the franchise a fourth SB.

In terms of Pats D, they went w/o Ty Warren last season, critical guy in the 3-4 given they are so weak and young in the OLB positions. Another year under the belt for the young LBs and Warren coming back could be the reason Belichick did not draft Ends or LBs giving what was on the draft board.

The studs who can truly play elephant in the NFL are top ten picks..... maybe the asking price to get up to that level was to high for Bill to swallow.