• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Red Bull- Days of My Youth Criticisms

BeefyBoy50

When Days of my Youth came out last week, it was free to watch for 72 hours, so I streamed the whole thing. A lot of scenes, especially those filmed in Alaska, were quite visually impressive- but I have to say, I felt kind of underwhelmed by the whole thing. Did anyone else get this feeling?

I'm not trying to sound like a Rotten Tomatoes movie reviewer here, but these are a few things I was thinking when I watched it:
First, the whole background narrative of the old man seemed tired, cliche, and kind of just thrown in. While i think the message is certainly important and probably resonates with a lot of people on this board (including me) the way they put it into the film seemed kind of last second.

Second of all, I found a lot of the skiing to be not much better than lack luster, apart from Bobby Brown's segment which was pretty awesome. The rest, except for the helicopter scenes, seemed like something put together by a couple of talented skiers with GoPros and enough money to buy lift tickets. What I guess I'm saying is, it didn't really reach the caliber I've come to expect from Red Bull. The company attracts some of the best athletes in the world in skiing, mountain biking, other extreme sports, but the film didn't really blow me away like I was expecting to be. I'm much more excited for TGR's Almost Ablaze.

Finally, regarding Cody Townsend's Line of the Year down the Crack- this was a cool line, but I don't consider it to be extremely impressive. Sure, it takes a lot of balls to straightline a narrow couloir with that great of a drop, balls that I almost certainly don't have, but the line didn't seem to require a lot of talent. It was something I looked at and thought, that line isn't so difficult if one has the courage to ski it. This is as compared with lines I have seen from other ski movies, where some crazy will jump a 60 foot cliff into a glade or ride some spine with avalanches cascading down on each side... these are scenes that I watch and think, these people are miles beyond my skill level and are able to ski/ride such incredible terrain because of their world class talent. Maybe my lack of amazement at Cody's line results from the shot having not the greatest camera angles. To be honest, I was more impressed with the line before I saw the POV- the helmet cam view made the crack seem wider and showed that he had room to scrub his speed numerous times.

If you've read all that, you probably do think I'm a rotten tomatoes type critic, tearing apart everything except for Toy Story just because I have no heart. I just would like to hear what you guys think, if you share my opinions or if you totally disagree with what I said.

buellski

I found Days of My Youth to be one of the best ski movies I've seen in some time. I particularly liked the resort segment since it was shot in a way where it felt like you were tagging along with a bunch of friends having fun and goofing off. Like you said, it

seemed like something put together by a couple of talented skiers with GoPros and enough money to buy lift tickets.

I think that made the film seem more real to me. I also enjoyed the Ecuador segment even though there was very little skiing. Again, I think the film presented a more likely representation of what these athletes do, rather than just showing perfect runs on perfect snow. I felt this film was a nice departure from the standard, heli-skiing showcases that most ski films are today. For example, watching Warren Miller's No Turning Back was like watching every other Warren Miller flick of the last 10 years or so. How many more Warren Miller films will feature Kevin Quinn and Points North Heli? I'm tired of listening to that guy.

Finally, I enjoyed the theme running through the movie about youth and growing old. Without giving too much away, I really like the way they used the kids to segue into the Bobby Brown segment. The whole thing worked for me, and I love the quote:

"You don't stop playing because you get old; you get old because you stop playing."

BeefyBoy50

Buellski,
I definitely agree with what you are saying in some ways. I guess I hadn't really thought about it the way you did.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

C-Rex

Haven't seen the whole movie but I did see Cody's line. I have to agree it wasn't hugely impressive from a difficulty standpoint. I give it big points for simply being a very cool terrain formation. The way it's almost a tunnel is just very unique. But as the OP said, the POV made it seem fairly doable if you have the balls to try it. Of course, the steepness isn't done justice by the camera angle and the outside view is too far away to appreciate it properly. However, I've definitely seen much more impressive lines in both skiing and snowboarding. Still, props to Cody and his crew for finding and ripping such a cool spot.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Just watched at the Flying Monkey. Best line - at the end: "You don't stop playing because you're old, you're old because you stop playing." Summed up the theme quite nicely. Best ski movie I've seen in some time. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The old guy looked totally familiar. Wasn't he featured in a recent Powder article?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

dlague

We saw it too and thought that it was well done. The voice overs were cool! Also like the resort segment!

Edd

I haven't seen the movie but ski movies have kind of lost me over the years with the big lines. I'd like to see more accessible types of terrain with great conditions. I will say the music is like 10 times better than it used to be in ski films.

Domeskier

I will say the music is like 10 times better than it used to be in ski films.

I usually watch ski clips on you tube with the sound off, but your avatar suggests you have good taste in music, so I might have to give the sound another try.

dlague

I haven't seen the movie but ski movies have kind of lost me over the years with the big lines. I'd like to see more accessible types of terrain with great conditions. I will say the music is like 10 times better than it used to be in ski films.

This is the resort segment!