• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

If you could go on a ski vacation anywhere, where would it be................

AHM

If money were no object, where would you ski for a week:

1. Ocean Explorer: coastal BC, heli on the boat, just pick shots and load the A-star up and your touching down on first descents every run.

2. Dean Cummings H20 adventures: Yep, a week in Alaska heli skiing with Dean, that would just be incredible.

3. Narvik Norway during midnight sun: The alpinglow from midnight to 4 am is supposed to be like nothing else (this trip is actually on the books).

4. Cat Ski Supreme
A. Selkirk Wilderness for a cat ski 5 days
B. White Grizzley: 3 more days
C. Chatter Creek: the last 3

That would certainly be a great 11 days..............

5. Baffin Island: gonna do this one too, need some more planning though.

So how about it HPD, Dog, Riv, where would ya go ??

JimG.

Staff member
1) Back to Portillo, Chile.

2) Back to Las Lenas, Argentina.

Been to both with friends, but since money is no object I'd hire a guide for both trips and explore the vast BC options at both places. I'd spend more than 1 day heliskiing in Portillo too.

3) La Grave; again, with a personal guide for the whole trip.

ChileMass

1 - Back to Zermatt, Switzerland. There can't be anyplace better in Europe.........but if we're fantasizing:

2 - Chamonix, France or Kitzbuhel, Austria. It's a toss-up on my next EU ski destination.

3 - Grand Targhee. Gotta see the Tetons in winter and ski them.

4 - Mount Alyeska, AK. Skiing down to the Pacific must be cool.

5 - Tahoe/Reno area. Never been there. Skiing in sunshine every day must be nice.

6 - Whistler, Kicking Horse, Fernie, etc - someplace in BC or Alberta.

Baffin Island - ???? :blink:

Greg

Staff member
Jim knows I'm just teasing.

SkiDog

Portillo Chile

Las Lenas Argentina

Valdez AK

Canadian Rockies

HUNTER ;-)

Not necessarily in that order...

M

RISkier

Tough question. Here are few places to which I'd really like to go:

Zermatt - skiing along side the Matterhorn can't be all bad. Mountain scenery is reputed to be stunning and the mountain restaurants are reputed to be among the best in the world.

Val Gardena (Italy) - Dolomites in Italy are reputed to be breathtaking. Access to the Sella Ronda and an amazing amount of skiing.

Lech (the Arlberg region of Austria) - Went there about 3 years ago. Though I didn't know it until I tried to ski, my knee was broken and I went down in a heap. Still managed to have a fantastic trip. Beautiful, friendly village. Went to Saalbach-Hinterglemm last year, and while we had a great time, my wife and I were both wishing for Lech. We simply must return.

Aspen - Yep, I want to go to Aspen. Thought we'd scored free lodging to go there last March, but the family member with the free lodging quit their job and left before we could do the trip. Aspen village is supposed to be terrific and with easy access to 4 mountains I think it offers something for everyone. Also reputed to not be overly crowded. But seems VERY EXPENSIVE. I've tried to price quite a few ski trips and Vail and Aspen seem astronomically expensive. Given the cost, I'd probably rank Aspen number 1 on my "if I could go anywhere regardless of cost" meter.

JimG.

Staff member
Zermatt - skiing along side the Matterhorn can't be all bad. Mountain scenery is reputed to be stunning and the mountain restaurants are reputed to be among the best in the world.

Zermatt is truly a destination that belongs on any serious skier's short list. Been there a few times. In addition to the wonderful skiing and location, the part about Zermatt I loved the most was that there are no cars in the winter, only horse drawn sleds.

I would also add St. Moritz to the list of Swiss destinations. Another resort I've been to several times. And Verbier belongs too, mostly for it's challenging steeps and BC options.

ski_adk

Las Lenas...if I could go tomorrow. Otherwise, I really have no idea. There are too many great places on my "to do" list.