• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3rd Death at Hunter this season on Hunter North (ignore it Funky)

Whether or not someone would intentionally ski over that pipe, what is depicted in that photo is a needlessly dangerous situation (not to mention, ugly). Typically the placement of these pipes is far more thoughtful, and for good reason.

Seriously, every ski resort has pipes above ground and all over the place. Ski areas are not pristine places, the garbage is usually covered up by snow

Hunter North is a game changer for the mountain. Trails are clearly not marked properly, and once the dust settles and they spend some time making the access better it will be even more popular. Wait till we have snow and the glades are in play. You'll hear even more positive reviews. 3 deaths are horrible, all 20 something males going too fast. They are fearless these days..... Plus they leave no moguls to slow folks down.

FBGM

This is what happens when you build/design and layout this stuff internally with no experience. Just some idiots that think they know what they are doing. Daddy’s son and his buddy. Let’s design some new ski terrain. It will be great. No idea what we are doing. Just cut some runs and call it good. And plaster it with icy snowmaking.

Hope they get sued.

Funky_Catskills

Hunter North is a game changer for the mountain. Trails are clearly not marked properly, and once the dust settles and they spend some time making the access better it will be even more popular. Wait till we have snow and the glades are in play. You'll hear even more positive reviews. 3 deaths are horrible, all 20 something males going too fast. They are fearless these days..... Plus they leave no moguls to slow folks down.

I totally agree with us. I ride this thing couple times a week during my lunch and it seems absolutely fine to me. Wide open great pitch I love Hunter north

Cornhead

This is what happens when you build/design and layout this stuff internally with no experience. Just some idiots that think they know what they are doing. Daddy’s son and his buddy. Let’s design some new ski terrain. It will be great. No idea what we are doing. Just cut some runs and call it good. And plaster it with icy snowmaking.

Hope they get sued.
The trails must not be hot shot friendly, they're flying around other trails without dying at this rate. Hmm, paging blue boy.images.jpeg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

danimals

Went today to pickup my pass for next season. I'm currently a blue mountain pa passholder. The new trails at North are tougher than the double blacks at blue, but belt parkway is easier than the blues at blue. I love the new trails, but with the flat light, bumps under the guns you can't really see, steepness and general design of the trails, they need to be blacks.

If Hunter needs real blues, start bribing someone to expand upwards from Hunter one area.

853cd778e0c399b298333c094b90f845.jpg

Quite a drop off for a blue.
Also what's up with skeepy hollow not being open ever? West is still closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Inclined

Went today to pickup my pass for next season. I'm currently a blue mountain pa passholder. The new trails at North are tougher than the double blacks at blue, but belt parkway is easier than the blues at blue. I love the new trails, but with the flat light, bumps under the guns you can't really see, steepness and general design of the trails, they need to be blacks.

If Hunter needs real blues, start bribing someone to expand upwards from Hunter one area.

Also what's up with skeepy hollow not being open ever?

Belt is not terribly hard terrain in the abstract (the spot around the new lift makes things considerably hairier), but with heavy weekend crowds and bad conditions (which isn't unusual with big crowds quickly skiing it off) it skis much harder than it should.

Sleepy Hollow - they need to net it or redesign it somehow, otherwise it's a narrow cat track with a nice cliff-ish drop to your right if you can't make short turns.

Forget above Hunter One - that ain't happening, as far as I've been able to tell. They've already got a couple perfectly nice albeit short blues off E Lift, but that only runs on weekends. And then there's Central Park, which hasn't been open more than maybe a day or two in the last couple years (though it was groomed last weekend?!) and the Highlands, which only the racers get to play on. That part of the mountain (anything above C lift) seems like the lowest priority of all.

drjeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCERkIGViIA

Blue mountain double black..with netting for the trees...hmmmm

Yup, B-netting left up along the U16/U19 race hill at Blue during non race/training times.

It surely can be done. Requires a bunch of often day to day maintenance based on snowmaking and grooming operations, natural snowfall or snow melt, people sliding into the netting, etc, etc, etc

There are certainly many pros and cons to extensive use of portable rolls of b-netting along a trail. With each roughly 50 foot section costing roughly $400 a piece, the cost of lining a half mile trail on both sides can run about 40K, and also then restrict access to any tree terrain that may be along side of that trail while the netting is up.

Safety netting certainly has its place for day to day ski area operations. Definitely a topic for debate about how much netting should/could be used??

tamedog

Forget above Hunter One - that ain't happening, as far as I've been able to tell. They've already got a couple perfectly nice albeit short blues off E Lift, but that only runs on weekends. And then there's Central Park, which hasn't been open more than maybe a day or two in the last couple years (though it was groomed last weekend?!) and the Highlands, which only the racers get to play on. That part of the mountain (anything above C lift) seems like the lowest priority of all.

Last Sunday was interesting. It snowed a couple inches overnight, but it was too windy up top, so the F lift and 6 pack were shut down all day. There was no way to ski back to North, so we explored Hunter One a little bit. Central Park was roped off, but a lotta people were cutting in from the woods on WSG. We also hiked Upper Highlands and had Upper/Lower to ourselves since there wasn't any racing going on. I was thinking how nice it would be if they expanded that side of the mountain, but I guess that land isn't theirs to expand on.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Quite a drop off for a blue.
Also what's up with skeepy hollow not being open ever? West is still closed.

First Guntower on the left ....WTF No Padding .

legalskier

Anyone notice that the 3 deaths were all young men? Not kids, not women, not older folk.
Young men.

danimals

e02e610c91b1b480ece46ce956e474e6.jpg

Check out them trenches.