• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

10 under radar east coast mountains (another list)

tree_skier

My List

MA
Bousquet
Bearkshire east

VT
Magic
Bolton
Middlebury

NH
Granite Gorge
King Pine
Dartmouth skiways

ME
Big Squaw
Big Rock

NY
Willard
Snow Ridge

tree_skier

I actually spent a year teaching school there back in 89-90. It was like living in a cult. I had another teacher tell me i was going to burn in hell because i went skiing sunday morning instead of going to church.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sounds like when I was a F&B Manager at Snowshoe WV or at Wisp in MD. 90% of the applications that came in said they couldn't work on Sundays. I would explain it's the second busiest day of the week and they were required to work. They'd agree to it, not show up, I'd write them up, and somehow I became the insensitive boss who didn't accept their religious beliefs.

BenedictGomez

Jay Peak won't like this claim about Bolton:
It receives more snowfall than any other Vermont resort, with about 300 annual inches

I saw that too. I cant imagine Bolton possibly receives more snow per season than Jay Peak (or Stowe, or Smuggs for that matter). I'm assuming that's just another moronic ski list error.

steamboat1

I saw that too. I cant imagine Bolton possibly receives more snow per season than Jay Peak (or Stowe, or Smuggs for that matter). I'm assuming that's just another moronic ski list error.
I can see it. The area is nestled between Camels Hump & Mt. Mansfield (pretty good snow belt) & as advertised has the highest base elevation of any area in VT. I never believed Jay's numbers anyway.

MadMadWorld

Speaking of Bolton,can anybody make sense of these numbers on Boltons website?
Vertical Drop: 1,704 feet
Base Elevation: 2,100 feet (highest in the Northeast)
Summit Elevation: 3,150 feet at Vista Peak

I believe it's because of Timberline. The base of Timberline is a decent amount lower than where the base lodge sits.

BenedictGomez

Speaking of Bolton,can anybody make sense of these numbers on Boltons website?
Vertical Drop: 1,704 feet

Base Elevation: 2,100 feet (highest in the Northeast)
Summit Elevation: 3,150 feet at Vista Peak

It's your garden-variety ski area marketing BS. Their real vertical that you'd likely ever ski is closer to 1000 feet. Less than Elk Mountain in PA believe it or not, and just slightly more than Middlebury Snow Bowl.

http://mountainvertical.com/best-skiing-east-coast-snowboarding.php

granite

I think Jay Peak might have something to say about what he wrote for Bolton Valley:

Bolton Valley, Vermont
Nestled in the Mt. Mansfield State Forest, secluded Bolton Valley is one of Vermont’s most beautiful ski areas, and a relaxing alternative to its bustling neighbor, Stowe. It receives more snowfall than any other Vermont resort, with about 300 annual inches, and a simple 30-minute drive from base will get you to the lovely city of Burlington

Is this true?

BenedictGomez

a simple 30-minute drive from base will get you to the lovely city of Burlington

Is this true?

To just get to the outskirts of Burlington, yes, but it's closer to 35 minutes to get down to the heart of Burlington, Church Street, Waterfront etc...

dlague

I believe it's because of Timberline. The base of Timberline is a decent amount lower than where the base lodge sits.

That is correct, because Timberline skis to a lower elevation than the Base Elevation. Look at the trail map and you shall see. BTW that hill to BV is one of the steepest and is lots of fun for some in the Winter.

bigbog

When did you ski Big Rock? Anytime recently? I was up in Houlton, ME just the other day. If it wasn't work related, I couldn't imagine traveling that far up in the State ever again.

;-)...Aroostook County IS a long haul, but then lots of things are in this state.
Hope they are financially set for the season....

Last edited:

MEtoVTSkier

When did you ski Big Rock? Anytime recently? I was up in Houlton, ME just the other day. If it wasn't work related, I couldn't imagine traveling that far up in the State ever again.

I say the same thing every time I have to head south and deal with the traffic in Southern New England! ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I say the same thing every time I have to head south and deal with the traffic in Southern New England! ;)

I prefer NH. I don't have to deal with much of either,..........driving forever to get anywhere or bad traffic to the south. ;)

bigbog

Ditto...I really enjoy making face to face contact with fun people when I have to do that route...even just when heading down to the Portland/Bethel/Sunday River/N.Conway/Mt.Wash. Valley areas....