• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

13,000 trapped in Zermatt after massive snowfall

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just was in Zermatt last year. Second trip since 2002. Awesome place but it is indeed in a box canyon and the only way in is by rail. I highly recommend any skier/rider visit it. Just wish we had more snow when we visited last year.

Zermatt

I'll be there in two weeks. Looks like things are finally getting back to normal today, but still much terrain to be re-opened.

Finally a big snowstorm there where all the snow wasn't blown away. They are expecting another big round of snow in a few days. Should like quite a bit different than the past few years we have been.

VTKilarney

This wouldn't have happened at the Hermitage Club. Just saying... :lol:

rocks860

I was there back in 2003 I think, amazing place but I can definitely see how you could get trapped there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingslug

Would love to be there a few weeks from now. But even then the risk of avalanche is huge. Not like they bomb the whole place. Even with a guide you can get tromped. As I learned first hand.

SIKSKIER

Their recent snowy weather has been at higher elevations.I watched a World Cup race this weekend at aldaboden and there was no natural snow at the bottom.

Zermatt

Their recent snowy weather has been at higher elevations.I watched a World Cup race this weekend at aldaboden and there was no natural snow at the bottom.
Fake news, tons of snow in the village of Zermatt, I've seen the photos. Zermatt is higher than most Swiss villages.

Zermatt

Yes, you said "Their recent snowy weather has been at higher elevations."

The snowstorm that trapped 13,000 people in Zermatt began Sunday night and ended some time on Tuesday. That would have been after you watched the World Cup. So, in the context of the original post, there is most definitely snow at lower elevations (Zermatt village).

SIKSKIER

I did say that and stand by it.Zermatt is at almost 5300 ft.That would certainly be considered higher elevation.If you consider Zermatt as lower elevation then I'm done arguing this point.Here is a camshot from today at Aldeboden,which is where I posted about smartguy.Looks real snowy doesn't it?

Attachments

• aldelbodenwebcam.jpg
    aldelbodenwebcam.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 21