• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2007 MLB Predictions

ChileMass

You heard it here first -

NL East:

1 - FLA: Dontrelle & Hanley go deep into Oct.
2 - PHI: Even Ryan Howard can't help This Olde Staff
3 - ATL: Too much depending on Mike Hampton
4 - NYM: No Pedro, no way
5 - WAS: Who are these guys?

NL Central:

1 - HOU: Somebody's gotta win this division
2 - CHI*: Will spend enough to finish 2nd
3 - PGH: Jason Bay and the Nobodies return hardball to Steel City
4 - CIN: Junior takes a curtain call
5 - MIL: Is anybody out there?

NL West:

1 - SD: Maddux and young arms win
2 - SF: Barry Zito will help; Barry Bonds will not
3 - LA: No way for Nomar & Co.
4 - CO: Who are these guys? (Part II)
5 - AZ: Big Unit, Livan and Tony Clark are old enough for Social Security

AL East:

1 - BOS: Dice-K wins 32 games, throws 200 pitches in complete game All-Star win
2 - NYY*: The run is over - Giambi, Posada and Mo turn to stone by Labor Day
3 - TOR: Maybe next year? (Seriously)
4 - BAL: Jaret Wright and Kris Benson - 'nuff said.
5 - TB: Shoulda kept Lou around just for the laughs

AL Central:

1 - DET: Another big hit for Motown
2 - MIN: Without Liriano only good for 2nd
3 - CLE: Could surprise if MIN's pitching falters
4 - CHI: Too many old guys, too many hurt guys
5 - KC: Who are these guys? (Part III)

AL West:

1 - OAK: The Return of "Somebody's Gotta Win This Division".......
2 - LA: Will spend enough for 2nd (Cubbies Syndrome)
3 - SEA: Wouldn't it suck to be Ichiro now?
4 - TEX: No pitching for 35 years in a row

* Wild-Card winner

Playoffs:

NL: SD over CHI*
FLA over HOU

SD over FLA

AL: BOS over OAK
DET over NYY*

BOS over DET

World Series:

BOS over SD in 6 games

FRITOLAYGUY

You heard it here first -

NL East:

1 - FLA: Dontrelle & Hanley go deep into Oct.
2 - PHI: Even Ryan Howard can't help This Olde Staff
3 - ATL: Too much depending on Mike Hampton
4 - NYM: No Pedro, no way
5 - WAS: Who are these guys?

NL Central:

1 - HOU: Somebody's gotta win this division
2 - CHI*: Will spend enough to finish 2nd
3 - PGH: Jason Bay and the Nobodies return hardball to Steel City
4 - CIN: Junior takes a curtain call
5 - MIL: Is anybody out there?

NL West:

1 - SD: Maddux and young arms win
2 - SF: Barry Zito will help; Barry Bonds will not
3 - LA: No way for Nomar & Co.
4 - CO: Who are these guys? (Part II)
5 - AZ: Big Unit, Livan and Tony Clark are old enough for Social Security

AL East:

1 - BOS: Dice-K wins 32 games, throws 200 pitches in complete game All-Star win
2 - NYY*: The run is over - Giambi, Posada and Mo turn to stone by Labor Day
3 - TOR: Maybe next year? (Seriously)
4 - BAL: Jaret Wright and Kris Benson - 'nuff said.
5 - TB: Shoulda kept Lou around just for the laughs

AL Central:

1 - DET: Another big hit for Motown
2 - MIN: Without Liriano only good for 2nd
3 - CLE: Could surprise if MIN's pitching falters
4 - CHI: Too many old guys, too many hurt guys
5 - KC: Who are these guys? (Part III)

AL West:

1 - OAK: The Return of "Somebody's Gotta Win This Division".......
2 - LA: Will spend enough for 2nd (Cubbies Syndrome)
3 - SEA: Wouldn't it suck to be Ichiro now?
4 - TEX: No pitching for 35 years in a row

* Wild-Card winner

Playoffs:

NL: SD over CHI*
FLA over HOU

SD over FLA

AL: BOS over OAK
DET over NYY*

BOS over DET

World Series:

BOS over SD in 6 games

Good Stuff Chile, hmmm i have to disagree with your NL east though, FLA i dont think is gonna have a big year and i think alot of those teams are backwards.. You know im a big sox fan but even i cant pick them to win the division.. I mean i have them thru the allstar break in 1st thats a guarantee. I love Pap, but Mo is still the man. Yanks i feel have better hitting, sox might have better starting pitching for the 1st time in awhile.. Pitching beats hitting but until i see it happen i cant bet against the yanks out slugging everyone and winning the division, and thats fine 2004 turned out pretty nice finishing 2nd in the AL East..

ctenidae

I predict that some teams will score more poitns than others, some will win, some will lose, and in the end, there will be one team that claims to be world champions of a contest involving one country. Okay, 1.002 if you count Canada.

ChileMass

I predict that some teams will score more poitns than others, some will win, some will lose, and in the end, there will be one team that claims to be world champions of a contest involving one country. Okay, 1.002 if you count Canada.

Just to set the record straight, baseball teams score runs, not points (or poitns).

Altaskibum

I like any one sporting an Alta logo too. As for tha AL east, a few hrs ago I would say Boston easy but schill got shelled today and if that is an indication for how he is gonna pitch this year it may not be so easy

Mike P.

You managed to forget St.Louis in the NL Central not that I think Current World Series Champs are going to repeat with their pitching but they do have sir Albert.

IMO if Clemens comes to the AL East which ever team gets him has a big edge, assuming the rest of the staff stays healthy. Pettite, Wong & Mussina staying off the DL (too late for Wong but a few weeks in April will not hurt) or Schilling, Dice K & Beckett staying off the DL. As a biased observer, I'd bet the Yankees lose more on the DL.

Someone behind Drew has to hit in Boston, Tek has to hit better than Mirabelli & if Coco can't hit Willy Mo or Ellsbury will be seeing some time.

Toronto needs one more pitcher to go with Holladay & Burnett but they will be scoring plenty too.

In the Central, a motivated (read pissed off) Sheffield is going to be a big help, odd he is batting in front of Ordenez, I'd have him behind as he is the better hitter but then again I've won no baseball games. The western team won't matter in the AL & only the Mets in the NL with a healthy rotation & their bats, IMO has a shot against the Sox, Tigers, Yankees or Jays. Now I would have said that the winner of the Yankee Tigers series was going to beat up the Cards too.

Zand

My prediction through the All Star Break:

AL East:

1. Yankees
2. Blue Jays
3. Red Sox
4. Devil Rays
5. Orioles

AL Central:

1. Twins
2. Indians
3. Tigers
4. White Sox
5. Royals

AL West:

1. Angels
2. Mariners
3. A's
4. Rangers

NL East:

1. Braves
2. Marlins
3. Mets
4. Phillies
5. Nationals

NL Central:

1. Reds
2. Cardinals
3. Brewers
4. Pirates
5. Astros
6. Cubs

NL West:

1. Padres
2. Diamondbacks
3. Dodgers
4. Rockies
5. Giants

Early WS Prediction: Marlins over Twins

2knees

IMO if Clemens comes to the AL East which ever team gets him has a big edge, assuming the rest of the staff stays healthy. Pettite, Wong & Mussina staying off the DL (too late for Wong but a few weeks in April will not hurt) or Schilling, Dice K & Beckett staying off the DL. As a biased observer, I'd bet the Yankees lose more on the DL.

Someone behind Drew has to hit in Boston, Tek has to hit better than Mirabelli & if Coco can't hit Willy Mo or Ellsbury will be seeing some time.

Toronto needs one more pitcher to go with Holladay & Burnett but they will be scoring plenty too.

If clemens comes to the al east, i dont think you'll see the same clemens from his houston days. totally different pitching in the al, especially the east.

Drew has to stay healthy as well as your above comment. Tek looks almost done at the plate considering last year and spring training.

toronto has the bats, but even with those 2 pitchers you have to wonder if they'll pitch 200 innings each.... no sure thing with their history, especially burnett. he seems like he is always on the verge of a career ending injury. the tommy john surgery and subsequent elbow problems are a scary prospect for toronto.

ChileMass

Yup - I forgot the Cards, but then again, I'll admit I don't pay much attention to the NL. Good catch, Mike!

Even factoring the Cards back in, I'm still going to go with Houston. Clemens will come back to the Astros and he will help them somewhat. But it really doesn't matter who wins the NL anyway, since the AL winner will just stomp their guts out in Oct.......;)

Zand - you are completely insane picking the Sox 3rd..........the Jays are like the old Sox with lots of big hitters and nobody who can pitch.

Zand

I think the Sox pitching may be worse than expected out of the gate. After last year and this year's spring, IDK if I have a whole lot of faith in Schilling or Beckett, but I expect both to improve. IDK if I have a whole lot of faith in Matsuzaka either. The offense isn't indredibly great either for anyone not named Youkilis, Ortiz, Ramirez, or Drew at this point. I expect them to be the opposite of normal... start slow and improve after the break rather than fall apart which is the tradition.

ChileMass

Beckett will the big surpise this year. Put him in for 19 wins. I agree Schilling is a question mark, but his guts and experience will be good for 13 wins at least. Dice-K will crush the league for the first 4 months and then they will probably catch onto him somewhat, but I still think he can win 16. Put Wakefield in for 12, and that's 60 wins out of the Sox first 4 starters.

Yanks: Wang will probably win at least 17 if he comes back soon. Mussina is good for 16 (he's another year older). Pettitte is the real key for the Yanks. Last year in the NL Central he only won 14 games, and the AL East is a lot tougher. He'll be lucky to win 14, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he knows he's back in the AL and will make adjustments if he can. Pavano is another big question mark. He's injury-prone and has had exactly one good season (18 wins in the NL 3 years ago). I think he'll win 13, but will not be that effective, especially in Sept. So that's also 60 wins out of the Yanks front 4.

It will be close, but the Sox have fewer pitching questions than the Yanks. The Yanks starting lineup is amazing, but the Sox will also score a lot of runs. If it's all about pitching, the Sox win the AL East by a few games, and the Yanks are the wild card.

FRITOLAYGUY

Boy the Cards are sure off to a rocky start, not that it matters the dallas mavericks started 0-4 this year and have had 3 seperate 13 game winning streaks, but they seriously dont look good..