• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3/8..at Blue..skiing in the rain..

Hey All,

I'm back from a short skiing fix at Blue mountain. I initially planned on sleeping late this morning and skipping skiing due to the forecasted heavy rains. I ended up wakiing up at 6:00AM..surfed the net..watch TV..and cleaned my apartment. I was uber bored and when I went outside to the dumpster around 8:30AM it was a persistent drizzle and I decided..WTF..I need to go skiing. I was out the door around 8:50AM and at the lower lot booting up by 9:20AM. The temperature was 42 degrees and it was misty with fog on the upper half of the mountain. There were only a few dozen cars in the lower lot but it was business as usual for Blue with the 6-pack running and even a few people taking lessons.

About halfway up my first lift ride, big drops of rain started to fall. My first run was down Paradise which was mostly fresh cord..Wet packed powder..lol..definitely hero snow and very fast. Best of all was that there might have been one person that I passed the entire run. An empty Paradise with fast snow is such a great trail. Then I skied Razors which wasn't quite as smooth due to a little more traffic but still really nice. Skiing at 95% speed through dense fog is kind of sketchy but luckily the fog broke on the lower half of the run. Then back to Paradise for more fast carving. Then another fast run on Razors. By this point I was starting to get pretty wet with the moderate rain coming down. My jacket did great but my ski-pants aren't very good in the rain and by then I had a wet wedgie..lol I then took a run down Lazy Mile and Tuts lane was so fast because alot of the solid base snow was exposed..The falls was also mad crispy. Then another run down Paradise and a final run down Switchback. Switchback still had fresh cord on the right side at 10:30AM..don't tell anybody.

In total I only skied 7 runs but they were all quality..I would have stayed longer but the though of getting into dry sweatpants and having some Tomato soup and a grilled steeze sandwich outweighed getting more soaked. When I left, the temperature was still 41 degrees and there was a big downpour when I hit Whitehall and there was minor flooding. I'm hoping that it gets below freezing tonight to set up the snow and end the melting. Surprisingly Blue didn't lose that much snow and there's a decent 4-5 foot base on most of the mountain. I'm hoping they at least do some spot snowmaking either late tonight or Sunday night. I'll be back at Blue first thing tomorrow morning..Hopefully I'll have some PASRs to ski with..Holla

2knees

gotta hand it to you for heading out today. skiing the pocono's in this weather. I may take some shots at you from time to time but your dedication to skiing cant be dismissed.

good on ya.