• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A-Basin, CO | 2/22/23 | Storm Skiing!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Resort or Ski Area
Arapahoe Basin
Date
Feb 22, 2023
Snow Conditions
  1. Powder
Four runs was enough this morning. Snow was piling up nicely, but visibility was really rough above treeline, and the wind was whipping. A bit interesting dropping into Pali almost blind. Waited for a little break in the steady wind to even find a reference point to drop in. Fun morning, but I've become quite the fair weather skier, so four runs & done was the name of the game!

chuckstah

Looks great. I've been in the white room at Abay. Didn't know which way it was up or down. Not fun. Then it was.

Cornhead

I've storm skied Abasin too. It was my first, and only, time experiencing vertigo while skiing. It was a little disconcerting. I remember exiting tha Montezuma chair and deciding to head to the base. In my mind's eye it should be all downhill. I forgot there's a little bowl below the lift. When I started going uphill when I thought I should be going down, it really f'd with my head. I was, for all intents and purposes, skiing blind.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I've storm skied Abasin too. It was my first, and only, time experiencing vertigo while skiing. It was a little disconcerting. I remember exiting tha Montezuma chair and deciding to head to the base. In my mind's eye it should be all downhill. I forgot there's a little bowl below the lift. When I started going uphill when I thought I should be going down, it really f'd with my head. I was, for all intents and purposes, skiing blind.
That was the funkiest spot for me, too. At least heading into Pali I knew it was all downhill. But in that bowl shortly below top of Black Mountain Express, there were two moments that left me more than a little uncertain of what direction was what!