• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A-Basin & Loveland Pass 3/5/2011

skidmarks

3/5/2011
Day 1 of 8
A-Basin
Loveland Pass Backcountry
Packed Powder/Powder Conditions
Partly sunny temps in the low 20's

A great first day with excellent conditions. Mainly packed powder with some untracked to be had.
Had a chance to check out the Montezuma Bowl which was lots of fun with it's cornices.
We skied from 8:30- 2ish and then headed up the road to Loveland Pass. From the top of the pass we skied down the westside (Pacific) and got picked up on the road after a nice run.
The altitude got the best of me today and I have AMS to show for it. Looking forward to getting back on it Sunday.
Colorado2011_006_.jpg

Colorado2011_018_1.jpg

Colorado2011_030_.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice. Looks like Loveland continues to get the snow! It was nice in December, albeit windy!

dmc

Heading over to ABasin now... stoked...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Heading over to ABasin now... stoked...

Enjoy! I love that place. I, on the other hand, witnessed a freeforall on the catamount magic carpet yesterday, when I was scoping it out from the chair with my girls.* And, it's all NCP'd in southern new England today.

* actually I made it a point to observe the magic carpet and to be honest, it was very mellow, relaxed and people were very evenly spaced going up. It was pretty quiet and conditions were soft and spring like all over the mountain.

dmc

enjoy! I love that place. I, on the other hand, witnessed a freeforall on the catamount magic carpet yesterday, when i was scoping it out from the chair with my girls.* and, it's all ncp'd in southern new england today.

* actually i made it a point to observe the magic carpet and to be honest, it was very mellow, relaxed and people were very evenly spaced going up. It was pretty quiet and conditions were soft and spring like all over the mountain.

who will save the children!!!!

gmcunni

* actually I made it a point to observe the magic carpet and to be honest, it was very mellow, relaxed and people were very evenly spaced going up. It was pretty quiet and conditions were soft and spring like all over the mountain.

glad JBSki's comments have led to improvements so quickly.

more importantly, glad to see some rocky mountain stoke, post pictures!!

dmc

ABasin was awesome today... Sent some time on the Zuma lift checking out the cornice ridge... good stuff!! The whole area back there is great! Gate opened to North Pole - haven't been up there in a while.. North Pole Chute skied nice... Lots of fresh..

It's still snowing.. expecting more...

skidmarks

North Pole

Good job skiing the North Pole chute. How long was the hike and how big of a drop in??
How does it compare to the stuff of the Zuma Cornice?

WoodCore

Good stuff! Had a chance the last time I was out there to make some shuttle runs off the Pass. Tons of fun to be had there!!

dmc

I think the hike took about 25 minutes.... Maybe more.. I slacked.. Felt the "tude"
Drop is simular to the Zuma stuff. Options to not drop..
Narrow - rutted... fun... Good access to the bowl...