• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A recent 2ndThaw refresh with the incoming storm of 2/25 or "Oaklee"(lol) bringing a very much needed foot of snow :) to the Northeast

JoeB-Z

Thanks. Very helpful. I used to run my Subaru on real snow tires, That was bulletproof except for the center lane 20mph flasher idiots in CT. Now I have an AWD van with mountain insignia 3PMSF AWD tires. I'm still going to be a chicken as I will need to dig out my place in VT too.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Gonna drive my Forester with Snows as far up 91 as Deerfield MA Friday eve then hit B.East Sat, and Magic or Catamount Sun

MidnightJester

So if the truck brakes get fixed its looking like it will be 1 night Saturday sleeping. Along with riding at Killington on Saturday and Okemo on Sunday as it being a little closer Sunday to the Southern VT boarder helps out a person coming up with me. Hotels and Motels are slim pickings around Killington for Saturday night Grrrrrr lol.

Anyone else thinking about skiing and riding either mountain either day??

Smellytele

So if the truck brakes get fixed its looking like it will be 1 night Saturday sleeping. Along with riding at Killington on Saturday and Okemo on Sunday as it being a little closer Sunday to the Southern VT boarder helps out a person coming up with me. Hotels and Motels are slim pickings around Killington for Saturday night Grrrrrr lol.

How about a place near ludlow instead?

skiur

For the 25 minute's okemo saved you going south over K, why bother? All that new snow will be groomed flat at okemo. I'm sure Ludlow hotels are just as slim pickings as K. Did you check Mendon hotels? Pico wouldn't be a bad choice for one of the days and will be much less crowded than K or okemo.

MidnightJester

Thanks for the input. Yes I had considered Ludlow hotels and staying near Okemo since we would be riding and skiing there most likely on Sunday but it has almost zero hotels and motels available too. I had though about PICO(first time) so much that I just went there about 3 weeks ago :) I liked it there terrain wise and($91 reasonable).

So I was able to find and talk & pull a motel room out of a small Killington motel ($240 for a sat night) Ugggg. Its right near Killington mountain about 2miles and 5minutes away also next to good food and music. Then its 30 minutes south to Okemo for Sundays riding of whatever survives Saturday Okemo people onslaught.

Last edited:

drjeff

Based on the traffic volume heading North tonight, lots of folks prepositioning in Southern VT. Was like a fairly busy Friday night drive traffic volume wise for me

MidnightJester

So now the question is how much fresh snow has come down and how much more comes down after 4pm which is looking to not be that much. First hand accounts of anyone already up in VT Friday?? Busy today? or Quiet-ish?? Lower VT, Middle VT, Upper VT shout out.

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

Down low on the CT River in Ascutney there is only 8" and it is very light at 4:30 and it is almost not snowing at all.

MidnightJester

So eyeballing some numbers here and on sites about the storm that just passed past fast. The numbers unless updated for mountains with after-hours snow are around 8"ish for Okemo & Ascutney and Killington looks to of pulled in 10"(its nice they do a 4:30pm conditions update for the next day). Any more local snow numbers just jump in :) Hopefully the morning mountain websites will have a nice update.

Anyone up North?? Anyone outside Killington this evening??

Its looking like Killington will be my best riding on Saturday and Okemo by Sunday is going to be scraped off with only 8" It is what it is just glad to be heading up in the morning. Anyone else riding Killington on Saturday? or Okemo on Sunday?

Trail counts at closing today Hmmmmmmmm. Hopefully tomorrow and this weekend they drop ropes on more terrain.
Okemo 86/123 70%
Killington 103/155 66%
Stowe 63/129 49% open.... ouch

Last edited:

drjeff

8" to maybe a drift aided 10" at Mount Snow.

A little sleet/freezing drizzle mixing for about an hour late morning. Still skied soft.

Not enough to get ropes dropped on all but the flatest of beginner terrain.

Keelhauled

Very light (low density, not depth) snow, at least in central VT. Doubt it's going to hold up to skier traffic at all tomorrow.

MidnightJester

So day 1-(Saturday) is in the books at Killington today. They opened at 103 trails and closed at 126. Rode from 830am till 4pm and did about 15 runs. It was a great day overall with packed powder and powder stashes all around. Saw ice peak out only on rare occasions at the end. Only saw lines of 10 to 15 minutes a few times.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Snow trip weekend is over and Day 2 has come and gone and Okemo was a blast on Sunday considering the seasons snowfall. We arrived later then wished and didn't get to Okemo Mountain till 10:10am in the "Redlot". We were able to squeeze 18 runs in the day with skipping Lunch. They opened with 103 trails which was nice. They did a great job with the snow management from the storm and Saturdays riding beforehand. Avoided the Sunburst Six till about 2pm and almost every lift was 5 minutes and less or ride onto lift. It was packed powder and powder on the sides on almost every run except for a little hard crust ice on the beginning of a few trails by midday. Was able to jump into Loose Spruce for a glade run exiting was a tad rough but very manageable most the way. Over all a great two days of riding

Last edited:

Smellytele

Driving home from the bush last night was an adventure. Snow all they way back home. 89 in vet sucked but was worse in NH. 2 hrs there 4:30 back home!

Edd

Driving home from the bush last night was an adventure. Snow all they way back home. 89 in vet sucked but was worse in NH. 2 hrs there 4:30 back home!
Definitely not as bad as you but drove through surprise snow squalls starting in Chocorua last night on the way to North Conway and it became a brief slog. Pretty bad visibility.