• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another great car we won't get in the US

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm guessing it's because you don't get much torque out of the car until you hit 4000 rpms, which really zaps the mpg when you drive it in that range. The car wants to be driven hard. I could see someone with a heavy foot who drives in a lot of city traffic getting combined mpg more in the 30-32 range.
The tach never gets up that high. 5k is red line, the auto almost never goes above 3k unless you put it into manual mode. The torque is right there at 2k rpms, I give it a good push everyone in a while when I am feeling frisky or want to go for a good pulse and glide. City traffic would naturally be lower combined. But city traffic would get a lot more glide as well. Where I live, flat and 40-50 MPH (where this thing totally owns) is hard to do. I get much better MPG down in MA if I'm on roads without traffic.

wa-loaf

Pick it up yet?

It took the awhile to hunt one down. 2012 are all pretty much gone and 2013s are still coming in from the factory. They found one and will let me know tomorrow when it will arrive at the dealer. I'm hoping for next week sometime.

Philpug

TDI w. Faux Wheel Drive here. Almost 60K with MPG right at 40MPG of hard driving.

wa-loaf

It took the awhile to hunt one down. 2012 are all pretty much gone and 2013s are still coming in from the factory. They found one and will let me know tomorrow when it will arrive at the dealer. I'm hoping for next week sometime.

Got it today!

483009_4453324144780_996754022_n.jpg

Kinda a crappy pic, but you get the idea.

wa-loaf

Did they mount your snow tires right away for you? :lol:

Haha, I was trading in my awd outback for a fwd car in the middle of a snowstorm. I'm not going to pay dealer price for snows! Did get a 120k warranty in case there are any typical VW hitches ...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
But no wagon. Can't imagine the efficiency will be better than TDIs. It looks like it weighs a ton and the engine is stronger. Wake me up when the skyactiv-D gets to the CX-5 (my partner likes the crossover look, bleh, but I could stomach a Mazda diesel crossover, I suspect that will be high on the list of options when she trades up... especially if they mate the diesel to the AWD version... yea right).

The most interesting news from that auto show is the 3 cylinder from Ford that is rumored will get 40 MPG combined while still producing over 120 in HP. I don't think I could downsize to a Fiesta subcompact but I think Ford will do very well offering an ultra cheap car with MPG almost as good as top hybrids.

mlctvt

The most interesting news from that auto show is the 3 cylinder from Ford that is rumored will get 40 MPG combined while still producing over 120 in HP. I don't think I could downsize to a Fiesta subcompact but I think Ford will do very well offering an ultra cheap car with MPG almost as good as top hybrids.

Maybe that was the 1.0L engine I saw on the UK TV show Fifth Gear the other night? They were testing a new 1.0L Focus and comparing it to a 1.6L Focus. At first they were laughing at it because the engine was so small and the Focus is not really a small car. The engine is turbo charged. The 1.0L beat the 1.6L in a drag race by a large margin. They did mention the improved gas mileage too. Seems like a win/win to me but I think they may have a tough time convincing Americans to buy such a small engine?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
IIRC, it is the same engine but without the start/stop tech and it is going into the smaller body Fiesta which will probably do better performance wise than in the UK Focus.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/27/2014-ford-fiesta-1-0-liter-ecoboost/

The engine thing... I dunno. I think I read this is the first 3 since the Geo Metro. But low 120s HP is just fine for a subcompact car... I don't think anyone in the cheap subcompact market is really going to care about engine performance. But 40+ combined MPG with a low cost of entry? I doubt the engine is going to be an issue. The problem is you can't put that type of engine in the bigger vehicles that many people want. But it could set a new bar in the subcompact market.

deadheadskier

Staff member