• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another reasons to dislike a band member of Metallica. (Hiking,Yes Hiking,Related.)

bvibert

Staff member
I'm hesitant to believe that his property was actually vandalized.

That remains to be seen. I'm not sure why he would suddenly fence it off for no reason though. The article wasn't clear, but it sounds like he's owned the property for a while.

BeanoNYC

That remains to be seen. I'm not sure why he would suddenly fence it off for no reason though. The article wasn't clear, but it sounds like he's owned the property for a while.

I'm going to seek out other articles for clarification. Looks like all he built was a studio. (Which could be the reason for the fence in the first place.)

Grassi21

ocean edge in brewster on the cape had a similar issue. they claim to own the tidal flats near their private beaches. when the tide goes out on the bay side you can literally walk straight off the beach for miles (not totally sure could be just under a couple of miles). they want to restrict people from walking over "their" tidal flats. they had the stones to put up a sign. the town stepped in and said they can't post a sign w/out a permit. tons of locals and tourists walk those flats. now people would have to walk around them to continue their walk. BS

bvibert

Staff member
I'm going to seek out other articles for clarification. Looks like all he built was a studio. (Which could be the reason for the fence in the first place.)

The article said that piece of property that he built the studio on was purchased in 1999, the piece of property that has the fire road in question is a separate piece (the Luiz Ranch) that was bought sometime later. Also note this:
In 2002, Hetfield made a trade with the county that was beneficial to both sides. He traded away the right to develop 44 homes on his property, which it had been zoned for, and gave an easement for 438 1/2 acres to be maintained as public space by the county.
That tells me that he's not necessarily against public access to lands in general. Granted he traded that to get something else, but still.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Just to throw in my two cents, I don't think we have heard the whole story... from both sides. The article was vague, more information is needed to draw a conclusion on who's right or wrong.

bvibert

Staff member
Actually tells me he's not against preservation but is against public access.

It says it's to maintained as "public space", I have to imagine that means he expects that the public will access it somehow...

dmc

Wrong. The first four albums rock, the fifth album is decent, and everything after that sucks ass.

I have problems listening to anything after "Master Of Puppets"...

I got issues with the way these guys go about things...

bvibert

Staff member
Actually tells me he's not against preservation but is against public access.

You may be more on target than I was on this point:

Hetfield's attorney said:
'There was a fence there for decades. Hikers breached and broke a smaller gate countless times. For Mr. Hetfield to be vilified in this borders on the absurd. He has done the county a favor by agreeing to preserve hundreds of acres of open space, not to walk through, but to look at."

Mildcat

Wrong. The first four albums rock, the fifth album is decent, and everything after that sucks ass.

I always agreed with this until tonight. I was over a friends house watching football today and he played the new cd. There is some sick shit on there. It reminded me a lot of And Justice for All. The worst song on there is the one they're playing on the radio. Even that song starts off lame but the long solo at the end kicks ass.