• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

APB/BOLO for UVEX visor helmet!

gittist

Please let me know if someone knows of a ski shop that has a 'uvex instinct visor pro v' ski helmet.

I've been skiing with an earlier version of this helmet for a few years but would like a newer one. I've ordered it twice online from companies that supposedy had it in stock (including amazon.uk) but ended canceling the orders because neither one shipped after waiting three weeks (each). I know it takes several days or weeks to get here (plus however long it sits in customs) from Europe but if they can't even get it into the mail!!!

UVEX.jpg

urungus

Any comments on visor helmets in general ? I often push my goggles up my helmet when visibility is poor so a visor is appealing. But I’ve heard the visor itself can be pretty flimsy, and what about wind and snow getting inside ?

Edd

How well does this type of gear keep wind out of your eyes? Better or worse than a separate helmet and goggle setup?

Edd

Any comments on visor helmets in general ? I often push my goggles up my helmet when visibility is poor so a visor is appealing. But I’ve heard the visor itself can be pretty flimsy, and what about wind and snow getting inside ?
Ah shit, great minds…

gittist

I ordered a size too big when I ordered my first one. Don't ask me why I did that, I don't remember, it was probably just stupidity. The visor is not flimsy and is photochromic (like transition lenses on glasses) so you don't have to swap lenses or goggles around. Keep in mind that my current helmet is a Uvex. Others may have flimsy lenses.

Since it's a size too big it is a little drafty (that's why I'd like to buy one that is the correct size), and when it's really Fxxxing cold the visor will frost up unless you put it down and leave it down when going outside.

A Turtle fur cap or a lightweight balaclava takes care of the draftiness.

I wear glasses and could never find a google and helmet combination that there wasn't something uncomfortable about it. Until I can find a new one, I'll keep wearing the one I have and not go back to the helmet & goggles.

Fischer Sports out of New Hampshire is the Uvex distributor for the USA and they've already told me they can't (or won't help) because they don't import that type of helmet. I took it by their reply that they wouldn't even attempt to order me one. Henry Ford attitude, "you can have any color you want along as it's black." (Or so I heard in a marketing class one year)

I saw a helmet in Canada like this one years ago but apparently Uvex no longer has any Canadian distributors :-(.

Last edited:

Vter

I wear a hat, unless I’m in the woods going after it…that said, i also wear a full-face on my GoFast Bike & Sled and the slide-up feature has my curiosity going. (Still tokable). Is the shied heated ? Then I’m really interested.
Btw: I’m the guy who is best on the hill… gates, woods or greens :)

gittist

Finally found one! I even have a FedEx tracking number. The lenses are heated the same way your google are ;).

ceo

Where did you order it from? I'm in the market for a visor helmet and they're surprisingly hard to find.

kendo

Where did you order it from? I'm in the market for a visor helmet and they're surprisingly hard to find.

Giro has a few visor options.

gittist

Alpinstore.com. I ordered it Christmas day and it arrived a few hours ago on Dec 29! From France!

My first order of this helmet was to Sportsprofi. They gave me a two week lead time just to ship it. I canceled the order a week after the lead time period was up after asking them if they even had the helmet in stock. Their website made no mention of a backorder.

The second order was to Amazon.uk. Thier website showed 3 in stock. They promised a delivery date of Jan 2, then the 3rd, then the 4th. Again it was another long lead time to ship. When I asked why so long, I was then told they didn't have any. Then 30 seconds later they did have it. Ok why does it take so long to 'dispatch' and was again told that they didn't have one. WTF??

I think Bolle also has a photochromic lens if that's something you'd like. I love mine.

ceo

I really like the look of the Salomon one, but I'd really like to find it in a store so I can try it on. I have a great big head and the fact that its sizes are "small" and "medium" does not fill me with confidence.

gittist

I really like the look of the Salomon one, but I'd really like to find it in a store so I can try it on. I have a great big head and the fact that its sizes are "small" and "medium" does not fill me with confidence.
I think the small, medium etc..was what bit me in the tail on my first helmet. for Uvex at least, you wrap a tape measure around your head and go by that but that doesn't account for differently shaped heads.