• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash 12/28-12/29-12/30

john1200c

Date(s) Skied: 12.28 through 12.30

Resort or Ski Area: Attitash/Bear Peak

Conditions: Not that good on 12/28 and 12/29, 12/30 was a powder day

Trip Report: On Saturday and Sunday it was skied off and quite icy by 11:00. Seems like less open terrain as compared to prior years at this time but I may be wrong. On Sunday, the East Double was down for a while as was the Flying Yankee. This caused already long lift lines to get to the ridiculous level. They did finally open the west double. For some reason they didn't bother to do so on Monday and thus had really long lines all day in the beginner area, which is where my kids wanted to ski. I asked why it wasn't running and was told that maybe it was because they did not have enough staff.... (maybe they didn't know it would be crowded on a vacation week???) The conditions were better on Monday due to the storm but nothing at all was groomed, so some people were clearly having trouble. More than the usual number of ambulances it seemed all weekend. After the storm, they did a terrible job shoveling off stairways in and out of the lodge, I saw a few people take headers. Overall, I was very unimpressed by the effort Peak has put forth this season. I hope things improve or I can definitly say I will not be renewing my Granite pass next season. Did not bother heading up to Wildcat based on some word of mouth reports that they were running sub par as well. It's really a shame as I have always loved skiing both of these places. BTW, went over to Bretton Woods for New Year's eve night skiing and the bit of terrain they had lit up was excellent....

Get with the program Peak Resorts!

yeggous

Bretton Woods has been very, very crowded but in great shape.

Attitash had too many people to too few trails. They have a reputation as a family mountain but I do not understand it. The terrain is steep and they do not offer much to novices. As a result the gentle terrain is clogged up and you get lots of rookies on trials that are beyond their skills.

Yesterday the crowds were gone at Attitash. It was surprisingly quiet for a holiday and in general they trail surfaces held up very well.

Brad J

Bretton Woods has been very, very crowded but in great shape.

Attitash had too many people to too few trails. They have a reputation as a family mountain but I do not understand it. The terrain is steep and they do not offer much to novices. As a result the gentle terrain is clogged up and you get lots of rookies on trials that are beyond their skills.

Yesterday the crowds were gone at Attitash. It was surprisingly quiet for a holiday and in general they trail surfaces held up very well.

I was at attitash on Sat , horror show, to many people on white ice AKA frozen granular, also there on New years, no crowds, great snow, They still are very laid back with their snow making efforts,being that its the " most powerful snowmaking system in NH" They used to claim this but I guess the laughter from the regulars the rethought the statement.

CoolMike

As a granite pass holder try Crotched. You won't be disappointed especially for your kids!

PS: No, I'm not affiliated with Crotched even though this is probably my fifth post recommending it to people who were disappointed with the offering at Attitash.

john1200c

As a granite pass holder try Crotched. You won't be disappointed especially for your kids!
=QUOTE]

We like Crotched, would be good especially today, but unfortunately all the gear is up in North Conway...

yeggous

Attitash is skiing great today. Cathedral is beautiful. Ungroomed lower ptarmigan is amazing.

yeggous

The main Attitash side was good but maybe not worth a vacation day....

Bear Peak was a religious experience. Myth Maker and Kachina were whaled up with powder on top. Quiver and Trillium were ungroomed and in great shape. Glades under Abenaki lift had great coverage. Moonbeam and Reckoning had knee deep powder with a solid base underneath until last chair.

Schralp

The main Attitash side was good but maybe not worth a vacation day....

Bear Peak was a religious experience. Myth Maker and Kachina were whaled up with powder on top. Quiver and Trillium were ungroomed and in great shape. Glades under Abenaki lift had great coverage. Moonbeam and Reckoning had knee deep powder with a solid base underneath until last chair.

100% agree with all of the above...a "wish you were here" kind of day. Only thing I'd ad is that glades on Attitash side off of Upper Cathedral were sweet. If not worth a vacation day, it was a pay off for those whose work or school was cancelled and were there. Was pretty busy Thursday and Friday, but plenty of terrain now to spread it out.