• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash + Pearl Jam

bunkscene

Hey guys. I just wanted to recommend an awesome event going on at Attitash on Feb 8. There is a Pearl Jam cover band playing somewhere on the mountain for free. I see them down in Boston quite a bit and they are really good. Check 'em out if you get the chance. I am pained to say I cannot make it that weekend.

Dave

canobie#1

I got excited when it said pearl jam, then lost the excitement when you said cover band...

bunkscene

Now if it were a tribute band, I would be interested.

I guess if we are being technical, it is a tribute band. The lead singer sounds almost exactly like Eddie Vedder. I am a huge PJ fan and I have seen my share of PJ cover bands and this one is the best.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Isn't "tribute" band and "cover" band synonymous? I've heard the notion that "tribute" is supposed to be better but isn't that in the ears of the listener?

bunkscene

A cover band just plays the songs. A tribute band mimics the band as close as possible (singer voice, clothing, hair, etc).

dlague

Why am I always skeptical when someone promotes an event? In any case, I do like Pearl Jam but not fond of Attitash, so I will miss it too!

bunkscene

You should be. I feel sketchy posting it. I promise you, just a big fan hoping people show up so they keep doing more shows.

Also, it is free!

Abominable

Isn't "tribute" band and "cover" band synonymous? I've heard the notion that "tribute" is supposed to be better but isn't that in the ears of the listener?

I always figured cover bands were bands that covered lots of different artists (your average bar band), while a tribute band was just the one artist. Tribute bands have really taken off over the past twenty years or so.... Interesting phenomenon. I guess the biggest bands are either gone or their concerts are too expensive, and no one wants to hear the comeback album anyway.... it would be kind of an interesting topic for a book or something. Perhaps it started with Beatlemania and similar shows... The Machine (Pink Floyd) is / was huge in my area in the 90s. Dark Star Orchestra probably sets the standard as far as dedication to the original. But those Deadheads always were a little nuts.

bunkscene

Yeah, I agree with that. There used to be a couple other big ones in the 00s in the northeast. Appetite for Destruction (Guns 'n Roses) was crazy. The guy dressed like axel rose and had a wig (or real?). There was a U2 band called Joshua Tree. The lead singer totally looked like sketchy Bono. They were both really good. Not sure if they play anymore.

canobie#1

Why am I always skeptical when someone promotes an event? In any case, I do like Pearl Jam but not fond of Attitash, so I will miss it too!
I'm with you on that, Attitash sucks. Now if it were at Cranmore or Wildcat then we would have somethin going...