• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ATV Camping

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Now I love backpacking on the trail, whether its one or many nights. Carrying all that you need on your back, setting course and going.

All over New England there Class 4 and 5 roads that allow 4X4's and ATV's. My girlfriend had a pretty cool idea of taking ATVs, loading them up with our camping stuff and going on one of these trail/roads for one or more nights. North of Berlin, NH or of Moose Lake in Maine there are ENDLESS routes you can take! Sounds like a lot of fun to me, especially with the amount miles you can cover in remote areas.

Does anyone have any experience in doing anything like this? If so, share your experience

Glenn

I do a lot of ATVing in the warmer months. However, I've never camped. It does sound really cool though! With two 4x4 machines, you should be able to haul plenty of gear.

I'd check out some ATV clubs in the area(s) you're looking to ride. The locals always know the trails really well. Plus, you'll want the low down on where to rent machines.

Finding good trails will be key. You'll want something chanllenging...but not so much that you'll be fighting the machine all day to only go a few miles. The other side of the coin...you can end up on flat trails; mainly trails that are used by sleds in the winter.

Let us know what you end up doing. I've done a lot of riding up in Mass over the years. But the DCR up there has been ignoring us for years and shutting down areas. I'm looking to do more riding in Vermont and New Hampshire.