• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Avalanche Awareness

drjeff

Going to be sporty inbounds once they open...can't bomb everything. I can imagine what the people staying up there are going through. Trapped for days..now listening to a bombing run like a B52 strike. I used to wake up to it..flash..then boom. Loved that sound. Patrol must be scary going out there to do it though.
I'm sure the anxiety level for some of the cat operators is running much higher than normal as well!!

kingslug

An old Warren Miller movie..forget the name..starts out with ski patroller in a storm..gets wiped out by an avalanche. Different world out there..

FBGM

I'm sure the anxiety level for some of the cat operators is running much higher than normal as well!!
You try not to shove a Cat in spicy places till AC work is done. I’ve rolled dice before when I was younger cutting new roads across bowls and driving on ridge lines trying to get cornice to fall. Scariest time ever in a cat was in a cycle like this one, not at a resort, middle of nowhere, no cell signal, beacon on in cat. It was a 50/50 type deal.

LCC still closed.

On your OG note, cat and truck hit by natty slide actually up there yesterday on road.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting when I typed that I just read a tweet that was 1 hr old that said interlodge hour 60
They just ended the Interlodge at both Snowbird and Alta. Snowbird has Gadzoom, Tram (Regulator only), Wilbere, and Chickadee running. Those who endured the lock-down deserve those turns. No road yet.

FBGM

They just ended the Interlodge at both Snowbird and Alta. Snowbird has Gadzoom, Tram (Regulator only), Wilbere, and Chickadee running. Those who endured the lock-down deserve those turns. No road yet.
Whew! Thank Mormon Jesus Chickadee is running.

FBGM

If you have IG this guys story is him
Bombing from heli on Argenta Slide path.

drjeff

kingslug

Now..the question is...what is the danger of an inbound slide with all these people flying all over the place. You can't bomb everything.
Not that I don't wish I was there..cause..I really do...

KustyTheKlown

didnt gad2 slide last year? def a full avy gear inbounds weekend. i used my avalanche shovel to dig my car out last week. most action it will see all year.

kingslug

I remember when the Wilbere bowl above Big Emma slid and took out the whole area..ripped trees out. I've seen so many inbound slides there its scary.
Definitely a full avi gear time now..but I'll bet less than 20% of the people there have it.