• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 2/18/2008 - they need to get their lift act together

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Since it rained all night, almost all the natural snow melted outside the rental house in Halcott, and was hovering about 50 degrees, we took our time getting to Belleayre today. It was a muddy time packing the car up.

Arrived at 10 AM or so, a good 1.5 hours later than my family's usual arrival time. The upper lot was only about 1/3 full at that time. Yesterday it was full before 9 AM. The lodge was relatively empty, like an early November or April day there. It was actually not that bad a change from the crowded indoor conditions of yesterday.

It was about 48 degrees, and we dressed light. The snow outside Overlook lodge was like snowcone filler. Took a Wanatuska run off Superchief. It was crunchy but skiable. Not quite corn snow, and not exactly ice. The snow skied quite fast. Those little round ice crystals make for some ball-bearinglike nano-surfaces.

There were no lift lines, so clicked off some runs off lift 7. The WC bump set-up on Belleayre Run was better today. Everything was open, surprisingly. There were some ice skating spots on connector trails, from all the rain, no doubt.

We decided to hit Superchief again at about 11:15. So we head down there and it broke again. Third day in a row. How annoying to have to hike uphill to get out of that hole. Then to take lift 1&2 to another uphill walk. Note to self - always avoid Superchief. Yesterday a friend of mine christened the lead-in trail to Superchief, "Chaos". Forced to take lift 1&2, we noted the pond at its entrance. The lift line had to skirt the pond.

By the time we got up to Overlook lodge we were hungry enough for lunch. Ate. Lodge felt even emptier than at 10 AM. Went out to a very slight drizzle. Did one run off lift 7. Second ride for the afternoon, we are on lift 7 and it breaks down. Unreal. Two lifts in one day. Luckily, by then Superchief was carrying passengers again. After that 15 minute ride to be forced off at mid-station, my wife and kids were understandably done. I wasn't. Headed to Tomahawk for a couple. Great fast runs on Seneca and Dot. Then we headed out. If this was a dry, cold, sunny day after a dry night, Belleayre would have been hurting to get people up the mountain. I hope they get those lifts repaired properly. You would think at least Superchief is still under warranty.

O, and PS: The conditions message this morning on the phone deserves an award for "most creative positive spins" and a special mention for "leaving out truth that should be reported".

All the pics here.

100_2742-vi.jpg

New ice skating rink at the top of Yahoo

100_2747-vi.jpg

View of some green trail from forced ride on lift 1&2

All the pics here.​

Last edited: