• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 2-3-15 powder day

legalskier

Temp on arrival: 15
Conditions: powder, chopped pow/crud, groomed
Didn’t get out this weekend so when the storm went through on Monday I was jonesing so bad that I cleared the docket and headed up on Tuesday, arriving late morning under calm blue bird skies. Snagging the second parking space from the lodge after someone had just left portended the good things about to come my way. So good, in fact, that I skied straight until after 4, not even stopping for lunch (I kept a sandwich in my pocket, enjoying a bite or two on lift rides). I hit every trail on the upper mountain at least once. The glades officially were closed but there were plenty of tracks there. The light, dry pow was so deep in some off piste areas that my skis couldn’t negotiate them at lower speeds and I sunk until it was over my knees, requiring me to extricate my legs with effort. Some snowboarders were encountering the same difficulty even though their boards were way wider than my 88s. Lift 7 wasn’t spinning, which meant that the middle trails like Yahoo, Onteora, Algonquin and Utsayantha had to be accessed off the Tomahawk, which also meant the snow remained fantastic right until closing time, but it expended valuable time to get there. On a day like this, every minute counts. A Top 5 day.

attachment.php

Cathedral Brook, which I hit before heading to the west side.

attachment.php

Deer Run- the groomed snow was so good you could sink your edges in securely while ripping. That's Platty out there in the distance.

attachment.php

Even Utsy was open- a rarity.

attachment.php

Dot, which didn't open until 3 due to earlier HS racing practice.

Attachments

• 2-3-15 Cathedral Brook.jpg
    2-3-15 Cathedral Brook.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 2-3-15 Deer Run.jpg
    2-3-15 Deer Run.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 2-3-15 Ussayantha.jpg
    2-3-15 Ussayantha.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 118
  • 2-3-15 Dot.jpg
    2-3-15 Dot.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 2-3-15 trees.jpg
    2-3-15 trees.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

mightaswell

Wow. Looks great. Gotta try to get out there this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk